12/31/2006 4:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ninjutsu

http://usualsuspect.net/forums/showt...=159594&page=2

Hello,
    I am new to this forum. I have been on a knife forum called Usual Suspect Network. I have recently been involved in a posting where a member was suspicious of a Ninjutsu instructor who was teaching his nephews how to use "Escrima sticks". I have about ten years in FMA. It is only a hobby for me but I cautioned the guy about this and found a website for Hayes the Ninja guy. Another poster named Clayton was purporting himself to be an authority on the subject. He stated that he doesn't have a problem with the stick training.

My knowledge on this subject is limited. I was wondering if any of you guys were membewrs of the Usual Suspect Net. If so would one or more of you check out the thread and lend your experience to the original guy wanting advice?

I hate to see some kid get the wrong advice.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 5:02pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a link to the site for the Ninjutsu instructor?

Someone will know of him on here I am sure.

Edited to Add:
    Hayes the Ninja guy.
    ROTFLOL, that is funny! Of course you know who he is, but to change it up like that makes for the impression that you just learned of him.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 9:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't find anything offensive about someone training with "escrima sticks", though I try very hard NOT to use the term "escrima", being as that is a name of it's own martial art. I've cross-trained with some MMA folks who did the standard mixture of Muay Thai / Escrima / JKD / BJJ - but I avoid the use of the word. That said, many people use the term "escrima sticks" fairly generically.

There is likely a Japanese term for the sticks and I dare say it is likely a legit training tool. But then again, with a lot I've looked into it, I have a VERY hard time believing in ninjitsu at all. Seriousy, it's like walking around telling people you're an assasin; it's more like assanine. If I own firearms, and I go to the gun range to pratice, do I run about telling people I'm a sniper or a hitman? The number of people I've run into, including guys that seemed very traditional and hardcore trained, always have this "I can't spar with you without killing you" type of talk. Sure, you train for 100% kills and no sport because you're an assasin, great. So how do you train that against living, fighting back opponents? How many people do you need to kill for your black belt?

Sorry, this became an anti-ninja rant...

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 10:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    website! then it turns into a rant!

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 10:34pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, Mantis_Fist, Fight Science called Ninjutsu the "ultimate art". I don't believe that to be true, but it still seems pretty cool to learn.

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 11:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuhrer
    Well, Mantis_Fist, Fight Science called Ninjutsu the "ultimate art". I don't believe that to be true, but it still seems pretty cool to learn.
    Unfortunatly none of it survives to be taught.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 11:42pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Prepare for incoming, uberman.:new_smile

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 11:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of my background is boxing and FMA. Personally I think all of the Ninjutsu is crap. (just my opinion.) I just didn't have enough info to argue the point on the other forum. I am attempting to get the guy's website now. Maybe one of you guys know him.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 1:37am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's because we are all a 12 year old at heart, and baddly want to LARP and believe in the Easter Bunny. And some who post here are 12 in body as well.

I too bought and read Steven Hayes' books, when I was a teen, and thought he must be the deadliest man around to be able to fight with those dorky stances. The philosophy reads very well.

But eventually we grow up.

Edited to add: There are a lot of people cross training, maybe the guy cross trains Escrima. When you get the name and website we can help out more. There will be a lot of static on the thread as well.
    Last edited by Askari; 1/01/2007 1:43am at .
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We all played Shinobi and saw American Ninja as kids and we'd all love to be able to jump off buildings, throw Shuriken and Smokebombs and generally kick ass but sadly we must face the truth. No matter how how you dress it up you're still running around with only the hood of your coat on your head pretending to be Batman.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast