Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 8:25am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How fit do you need to be BEFORE joining an amateur boxing gym?

I'm considering joining the Spryfield Amateur Boxing Club in Halifax (pending of course me chacking it out), and I'd like to get an idea of what kind of shape I should be in before I join an amateur boxing club. I'm not interested in going pro or anything, I just like to box for self-defense and, I suppose, fitness. I'm not adverse to competing at an amateur level if it works out, though.

I do weights and conditioning pretty regularly now that my rib is healed, but I'm not back to my old capacity yet and my cardio in particular is sub-par. Should I join the gym as soon as I approve it and just do my best until I get fully fit again, or should I take a month or so to work on my endurance first?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question, it has elements which make it appropriate to several.
    Last edited by Epicurus; 12/31/2006 8:27am at .
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 10:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much spanish you should know before starting to learn it?

How strong you should be before starting weights?

Unless you're injured or have a physical condition so you could get harmed by starting boxing, I'd say you should start as soon as you wish. Boxing will get you fit, progressively (yeah, yeah, fit for boxing, asswhipes).

Just follow your own pace.

When I first started kickboxing I almost puked... after 5 mins of warm up, so go figure.

Good luck.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^
    What he said.
    Tonuzaba

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    I'm considering joining the Spryfield Amateur Boxing Club in Halifax (pending of course me chacking it out), and I'd like to get an idea of what kind of shape I should be in before I join an amateur boxing club. I'm not interested in going pro or anything, I just like to box for self-defense and, I suppose, fitness. I'm not adverse to competing at an amateur level if it works out, though.

I do weights and conditioning pretty regularly now that my rib is healed, but I'm not back to my old capacity yet and my cardio in particular is sub-par. Should I join the gym as soon as I approve it and just do my best until I get fully fit again, or should I take a month or so to work on my endurance first?

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question, it has elements which make it appropriate to several.
    There are lots of us doing full contact stuff who know they are never going to be champs in the sport (even at an amateur regional level). But we all know that we're better training than not training.

Just do it.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 10:23am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You go to a boxing gym to get in shape...

DUR DUR DURRRRRRRRRRRRR

Just go as soon as you can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 6:32pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Theres no reason not to go right away, unless you your cardio is truely terrible and you embarass easily.

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 9:27pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds encouraging! As soon as I can speak audibly and walk without falling down after ten steps or so, I'll get right on it.

Assuming the MMA place I've heard about doesn't work out, that is...

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 12:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: KOSEN JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well....

did you ever join the boxing club??

im looking for information on this club please email me at whalen.jd@forces.gc.ca