"Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    being a skinny nerd who does ninjitsu is pretty much guaranteeing you that you WILL get your ass kicked. find a new dream art.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 9:29am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alex has a good point. No matter how much fitness and conditioning you do if you study Bujinkan it's highly unlikely you'll be doing anything more than "throwing" a compliant partner, throwing flour in his eyes and then jumping in the bushes.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 10:03pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do you actually live? Like, state and area, you don't have to tell us your address. There might be people you don't know about.

It's really, really hard to live more in the middle of nowhere then me.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 10:41pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    being a skinny nerd who does ninjitsu is pretty much guaranteeing you that you WILL get your ass kicked. find a new dream art.
    lol. seen that one comming!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 6:32pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to be in shape to study Bujinkan? Who would have guessed...

Posted On:
    1/09/2007 7:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: non

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a skinny nerd ("ectomorph"), you should evaluate your diet. I gained 6 kg in december by eating 6 meals a day and doing a whole lot of push-ups. A month more like that, and i'm no longer extremely underweight...

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogg
    I live in the middle of nowhere. No martial arts dojos, no gyms. I used to live somewhere and studied Soo Bahk Do for a few years (the no experience I'm referring to is on general fitness) but I'm out of practice and out of shape. I'm going to be moving to the city in a year or so, two years from now at most, where I'll hopefully be able to learn some Bujinkan (a long time dream.) I'm looking for advice on how to get fit so I can do well when I start studying martial arts again. I don't have any equipment except 2 10 lb. dumbells. Can somebody advise me on what I can do to get back into shape where I'll be strong enough to kick butt in 1-2 years. I know this is kind of vague- my body type is tall and lean. I have little muscle mass. Nerdy level strength. Can someone list out some exercises I could do, give me a basic routine? I'll elaborate on my fitness level more if needed.
    Dude, push ups, one-leg squats (pistols), and reverse duck walks (.ie. duck walks walking backards) are your friend when you have nothing else to train with. I find it difficult to believe there is nothing anywhere near you - try to buy 2 pair of dumbells at least (a 20lbs pair and a 45lbs pair). For most men, those are good weights to start, not ideal, but what the hell.

I stronly suggest you get some dumbells, at least a pair of 20lbs and another pair of 40 to 45lbs. How tall are you, what's your age and your weight? These questions are important.

Anyways, with a pair of 45lbs dumbells you can do squats and lunges. If it's too heavy for lunges, then just use the 20-pounders for the time being. Anyways, even in the unlikely case you cannot get a pair of dumbells (****, do you live in Antartica????), then just do the following:

warmup -- start doing push ups to failure, keep count how many you can do, and divide by 2. The resulting number, namely X will be the number of push ups you'll do for each subsequent set. That is, if you can do 60 push ups, then you'll do 30 in the remaining sets.

1 -- 10 one-leg squats (10 per leg)
    2 -- X push ups
    3 -- reverse dulk walks to failure (if you are out of shape, don't be surprised if you can only do 10 steps or less.)
    4 -- one minute break
    5 -- 10 one-leg squats (10 per leg)
    6 -- X push ups
    7 -- ab crunches to failure (if you are out of shape, don't be surprised if you can only do 20 crunches or so)
    8 -- one minute break and repeat starting from #1

NOTE: if you can't do X push ups, just take a 5-second rest and resume. Repeat until you can do X push ups. That's one set of push ups for ya.

Do that routine non-stop for 20-30 minutes. If you can do more, the better. Do it once or twice a day. And once or twice a week try to run. If you have never run before, start running 1 mile at a time, with short strides and a slow pace, increasing the pace and strides as you get better at it.

That'll keep your butt in line. If you are serious and motivated, you'll do it. Otherwise, you will abandon it.

If you stick to it, you can modify that routine as needed later on. At some point you may want to experiment with weights or other variations of bodyweight exercises, but if you are totally new to working out, that routine above should be a good start for you.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/10/2007 11:56pm

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or you could just go on www.bodyweightculture.com and work up the exercise ladder until you get to a couple you can't do, then write down what you can do with max repititions. Then half that and put it on a sheet of posterboard. Then give yourself 10 minutes to warm up, and 10 minutes to wrack up as many points as possible. Do half your max reps on any of these exercises and you get one point. Now fitness is a game, and instead of knowing that you can do more reps in a given exercise, you know your in overall better shape.

Posted On:
    1/21/2007 11:04am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what we do at our gym. You don't need any equipment except a pair of skipping ropes. Avoid the thick muay thai ropes if you're just starting out, those are very heavy, but will help build your shoulder muscles (and ruin your toes if you miss).

Since you say you're out of shape, you may want to tone it down a lot.

We do 5 sets of what I'm describing below, maybe you can start off with 2 sets, then 3 and work yourself up from there.

We start off with skipping, 5 mins. Skipping is for warmup, cardio and building your calf muscles, as you need calf muscles for everything from punching to teeping to footwork.

Do it with running shoes, or on a matted surface, don't skip on a bare floor without shoes, no good for knees.

50 pushups (I do knuckle, and these are partial, not full pushups. Use only the first 2 knuckles. Builds wrist strength.)
    70 crunches (allows you to take stomach shots)
    30 dips (builds triceps for punching endurance)
    50 squats (allows you to take low kicks)
    30 jumping lunges or 50 normal lunges (allows you to take low kicks)
    70 side crunches on each side (lie on your side and work on the muscles on the side of your stomach, it enables you to take punches like shovelhooks better)
    30 mountain climbers (counting one leg only, mainly for cardio endurance)
    20 commando or clapping pushups (builds punching power)

Immediately get your ropes and go back to skipping again, no rest. Repeat. Try to work up to 5 rounds.

Take it slow, and take it easy. It's easier if you have training partners working with you, or you'll give up easily.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast