Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 4:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    well its a no brainer then really. (badum tish)

im assuming this is no longer a hypothetical situation if thats what your doctors have said to you and i have to ask, what possible reasons would you have to continue training with something like that wrong? personally i think thats incredibly selfish. think of what happens to your buddy in training who accidentally slams you the wrong way or hits you in the wrong spots and kills you. can you imagine how much that would **** someone up?
    OK, now that we're out of the hypotheticals. Yes, this happened to me in September of 1992, about a week after my 26th birthday. I was KOed for 45 minutes and woke up duct taped to a backboard in a freezing ER (so lucky it was a TKD match, 'cause Lord knows what would have happened if it wasn't one of those tippy tap TKD kickers). After the initial diagnosis, I was thinking "well, I've been hit plenty times in the head plenty hard, and I'm still alive, so what the **** do they know." I continued to train hard and compete for three years, but the gradually the fear of dying in the ring kept increasing, which really sapped all the fun out of fighting. One day, about a half a year after I'd been married, my wife overheard me talking about this dilema to some of my dojang mates.

If I recall, the conversation theme was something like - "Well, I really like fighting and feel obligated to represent the school (hey, Bad Sifu, this ties into what we were discussing in the Aikido thread), but the whole possibility of dying in the ring is really taking the fun out of it." At which point, my wife, overhearing the conversation, interjected with a, "What the **** are you talking about?" At which point I explained my medical condition, which I was sure that I had told her about earlier, but which she was equally sure I hadn't or she would not have been letting me compete all this time. Since my enthusiasm for competiting had already been waining, it wasn't too hard to allow my wife to prohibit me from anymore competitions (I'm sure Cracky will find some way to give me **** for this).

Alex, as for training, I've always been up front with my training partners about my condition and let them know that this a risk I assume as long as we agree to go hard but not full head hunting contact. Sure, I get dinged hard every once in a while, but not quite like someone trying to take my head off in a match.

Johny Cache, as for grappling, thats one of the reasons I'm doing GJJ now. I still like to bang though and nothing quite compares to the feeling of planting my foot in someone's face or getting my bell rung by someone doing vise versa. I'm hoping that once I can get beyond being totally helpless on the ground that I can start sparring with the MMA crew at our dojo, because although I'll never be able to compete, I think that I could offer some learning opportunities for our young aspiring fighters.
    Last edited by TEA; 12/30/2006 4:43am at .

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 5:06am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How much would surgery be? Are you sure the surgery would be considered elective? Also I'm sure surgical techniques aren't the same today as 1992. Maybe there is a cheaper, less invasive opition available.

If fighting and training is important to you, you may want to put a second mortage on the house and get it done. People have elective procedures for worst reasons.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 5:06am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its funny really, how these days people just assume they know better than doctors do. then in the one in a million chance the doctor is wrong it gets sung from the rooftops and the guy makes headlines in whatever trash rag will publish it. know what happens to the rest of those people who think they know better? they get fucked up

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 5:09am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its funny really, how these days people just assume they know better than doctors do. then in the one in a million chance the doctor is wrong it gets sung from the rooftops and the guy makes headlines in whatever trash rag will publish it. know what happens to the rest of those people who think they know better? they get fucked up
    Yeah, it retrospect, I was a fuckin' idiot. But I survived and am moving on. Now I'm looking for something else stupid to do. Russian Roullette is so pasais. Maybe grappling with hungry pitbulls. Whatcya think?

Also, on a more serious note (not that rastlin with pit bulls ain't serious), what does everyone think about hard contact (not full contact) training with partners that know in advance that I have this condition?
    Last edited by TEA; 12/30/2006 5:14am at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 5:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i always felt that picking fights with armed psychopaths would be a fun way to pass the time

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 5:26am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find a doctor who'll say it's life threatening. Jesus. "Oh well, sure, a hard blow to the head could kill you, but it's elective"

not good enough. Instead of painting it in light of "Oh, it's just something I want done so I can compete in martial arts" try "Jesus christ there's a ticking bomb in my head I need it out"

You know, unless the surgery would **** up your brain.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 5:36am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Find a doctor who'll say it's life threatening. Jesus. "Oh well, sure, a hard blow to the head could kill you, but it's elective"

not good enough. Instead of painting it in light of "Oh, it's just something I want done so I can compete in martial arts" try "Jesus christ there's a ticking bomb in my head I need it out"

You know, unless the surgery would **** up your brain.
    Good points from you and the Punisher. It has been quite a few years since my last CT scan ('98 or '99 I think, when I was considering getting back into competition) and like the Punisher said, there have probably been a lot of advances in medicine since then. I'm just such a dynosaur that '98 and '99 seem like just yesterday, instead of nearly a decade ago - the whole time compression as you age thing.

You guys give me new hope. Do they have a seniors class for MMA?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 5:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we sometimes let the elderly be our punching bags, if they beg enough

these may be questions you should be asking your doctor ;)

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 5:53am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I take up Judo or Karate again (at least in the near future), there's a chance I'll be paralysed. Even if it's a slim chance, the stakes are FUCKING high.

For God's sake, get a new hobby.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 5:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we sometimes let the elderly be our punching bags, if they beg enough

these may be questions you should be asking your doctor ;)
    I guess you assume that I have a health care plan in which I actually see the same doctor every time I visit? While that may be the ideal propogated by the opponents of any sort of government sponsored health care in the US, the reality is that most cheap ass group insurance plans (such as the one provided to state employees) does not guarantee the you see the same doctor all the time, even if you do have a theoretical "primary care physician." In the last six years, I've only met my PCP twice. The rest of the time I've seen interns.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast