Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tabwyio, that's how we see cattle back home, as food. We try not to get attached to them, but it can happen from time to time.

We do give names to each one (kinda difficult when we have hundreds), but that's mostly out of habit as they don't respond to names. It is very rare to keep such a large animal as pet down there cuz ranges are away from home. For an underdevelop country, the majority of the population lives in small cities and towns, and people that works with animals have to travel back and for of the town to take care of the cattle. The concept of a farm where a family lives, as it exist in the US, is long gone in Nicaragua :(

Goats are easier for us to keep as pet - since they occupy smaller space, we can keep them, so long as the house has a backyard large enough Chickens, ah man, the chickens, and ducks. Everybody raises chickens in their backyards, and they can respond to names if you raised them so.

It is possible to keep chicken in an enclosed area and keep it higienic. I'm not a fan of those little houses where chicken get in and sleep and lay eggs. What we do is that we put a fence around a, say 5m by 5m area, with no roof other to allow the sun to keep the area dry.

Next to this fenced area, we build a roofed area with ladders where the chicken sleep, and another roofed area where they lay eggs. There is a specific containers for feeding and watering kept above ground; the ground itself we cover it with a mix of ash and sand. This mix keeps the ground hostile to bacteria and parasite growth and makes it easy to clean.

The walls and fences are also coated with a mix of ash, pulverised calcite and water. The key is to keep it open for air and sun to keep the area dry, and to keep plenty of sand in the ground. It can't get any cleaner than that!!

There is nothing like the sound of snapping a chicken's neck to start your breakfast.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Enclosed quarters doesn't really describe most large-scale poultry production.
    "Free-range" as much of a misnomer as it may be is definitely far, far better.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 5:36pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think chickens packed, nut to butt, so tight that the dead ones go stiff still standing because thier isn't any room to fall pretty well decribes mass enclosed poultry farms. Well at least at the worst end of it. Ours chould effectively run away if they wanted to. We have a fenced in chicken yard to keep the coyotes and foxes out and a fenced in total enclosure so the poor bastards can duck and cover from hawks and egals. But we don't trim them and they can all fly and do. I've seen them as far as a mile from the house but never farther. The ones that wnader too far are usually picked off by predators. That's about as free range as you can get. The best part is they keep the bugs down around the house. The meat and the eggs taste much better once there's a good grashopper population. It's gotta be the extra protien.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 6:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It could also be that they don't eat their own poo. Chicken are horrendous in their eating habits when confined in closed quarters. It could also be the grasshoppers. After all, grasshoppers can be fried into yummy snacks (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...mps/html/1.stm)

Back in Nicaragua, we can't really give chicken so much free reign. Most towns are close to forests, and we have plenty of small, pesky carnivorous things that'll pick anything that wanders too far away. Possums, tayras, ocelots, racoons, coaties, feral cats, big ass snakes. ****, it's like living in a fucking zoo!!!

See, inside my town it looks like this:
    http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/DSC08308.jpg
    http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/DSC08307.jpg
    http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/DSC08401.jpg

But then, you walk away a bit, and ****, you get this:
    http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o.../DSC08407a.jpg

When night comes, wandering chicken die an unceremonious death, just as nature intended.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 1/17/2007 6:40pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 6:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We rotate feeding areas. Even "free" chickens eat thier own ****. They are worse than a couple of my dogs. But I can complain. They **** out in the field but eat all the other dogs **** in the yard. So I don't step in dog poo and that's a good thing. Fried hoppers are ok. Carmalized hoppers or chocolate covered hoppers are even better. I have made it a point to try "local cuisine" every time I travel. So after 20+ countries visited I have eaten some down right funky ****.

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 6:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehehe, that's the spirit :)

Insects are the only thing I haven't tried yet... and bats. Possums are hard to cook, and racoons are rubbery. Monkeys are ok, while parrots, squirrels and snakes make a good stew. What I like the most, however, it's armadillo.

-- Ed --
    Amazing how this thread went from vegetarianism to animal cruelty, then to ****-eating chickens and now into eating weird, funky ****.

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 6:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When Ragin made her public detraction of past militant comments I ceased feeling the need to bag on vegans. But yummy animals and shitty production practices are good enough reasons to stick around. I tried monkey in the PI. Not bad. But you gotts watch it, some of the vendors are feedin you dog. Wich isn't bad either so long as I don't know it until well after the fact.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    1/20/2007 6:20pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And one day, the veggies decided to turn the tables:
    http://wulffmorgenthaler.com/strip.a...6-9eea07224301

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/22/2007 10:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So thats why I didn't got no love? You want me to post my ass tatto.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    1/23/2007 3:45am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually it was me, who wanted it.
    Together with the video of your fight/s/.

Oh yeah, and the next pyjama party video too, please.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 273334353637 38 LastLast