Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher
Posted On:12/30/2006 2:58am
Style: n/a (ex-Karate)
Originally Posted by RunningDog
What meat did you kill? Maybe a subject for another thread...
Only rabbit, fish and crabs (and other assorted seafood).
I'd probably kill feral pigs, but there aren't any here.
I'm still thinking about the native animal industry.
Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
click here to order on Amazon
Posted On:12/30/2006 6:25am
I'm a pesco vegetarian (Going on 6 years now), because I don't like the taste of most meats, I know, i'm a freak. :P, sitting at a happy 76 kgs at 5,11. I suppliment my diet with the normal assortment of whey protein drinks, along with my normal intake of protein with beans and whatnot.
One vegan friendly way of adding protein to your diet easily is peanut butter, its a great source of protein which can really help suppliment your daily intake, stuff like a bagal with peanut butter on it works wonderfully as a snack while adding 20ish gs of protein to your daily intake.
As a vegan are you against including whey in your diet? I ask simply because its the easiest way to suppliment your protein intake.
Last edited by Jorec; 12/30/2006 6:28am at .
Posted On:12/30/2006 6:51am
On a side-note Godhand, was all this training you did in Melbourne? And if so where?
i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!
Posted On:12/30/2006 8:47am
Style: karate / bjj
Originally Posted by DAYoung
My morals reasons?
his moral reasons.
I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.
Posted On:12/30/2006 12:25pm
Style: Student Jutsu
I'll admit I am a vegetarian.
Although I will eat fish..... and ducks, they spend half their life in water they're effectively fish.
Oh, and cows, sheep, pigs etc because they live near water and fall into the same category.
I'm a post-modern vegetarian......I eat meat, ironically.
"Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
"Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
"I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
"Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
"Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
"More God delusions." - DAYoung
"Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta
Posted On:12/30/2006 12:29pm
First off, as a long term vegetarian you should be well aware of the hostility most people have towards us "Moral Consumers". Like California drivers in the rain, most meat eaters lose roughly 40% of their logical thinking ability when confronted with a "Moral Consumer".
Like men with tiny genitalia, anti-vegetarians/vegans scream, flail, and buy over-sized trucks in order to make themselves feel better with their lack of self control.
These overgrown IDs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id%2C_e..._super-ego#Id), are simply man-children that can't conceive of a reason why they shouldn't enslave, slaughter, and mutilate creatures less powerful and/or less fortunate than themselves.
These are the same boys that brutalized handicapped children in high school, then went home and furiously masturbated to gay bondage porn from their mother's computer.
Have I sounded sufficiently preachy and judgmental to incur the wrath of the meat consuming community?
I had to dig deep, but within every "Moral Consumer" lies a bastion of black and white thinking that rivals the greatest evangelical fundie Christian minister.
Now on to helpful advice...
1. You shouldn't ever go Vegan cold turkey. Slowly start replacing your eggs, dairy, and other animal product foods with vegan alternatives...but do so over a decent spread of time. Some people react harshly to soy milk and other non-dairy alternatives, so give your body a chance to adjust.
2. Once your body is adjusted, go to Costco or some other warehouse grocery store and buy a giant case of soy milk. Get the "Sweetened" variety, as it typically has more calories, and drink roughly 2 glasses more each day than you did while you consumed dairy. You'll hardly notice the difference between dairy and soy milk after a week or so of steady consumption...and you'll notice that you don't get "Ass Breath" or stomach disturbances like real milk.
3. Beans, lentils, and spinach are your friend. Canned varieties have a lot of sodium, so try and pick up fresh or dried beans and lentils when you can....or at least choose "Low Sodium" canned versions if you aren't partial to cooking. Try and consume a can of beans and/or lentils each day.
4. Start counting calories. No, I don't want you to become an anorexic cheerleader. However, meat products and dairy/eggs are INCREDIBLY calorie dense, and you'll find that your meals tend to be HUGE when you try and match your previous caloric intake. For example, a large cereal bowl full steamed veggies will net you roughly 80 calories...which is equal to about ONE egg (not counting the oil used in cooking it).
5. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is your friend. Use it in all your cooking. Spray it on your steamed veggies. Add some to your beans. Not only is Olive Oil high in calories, but it also has a gob of health benefits. This will take care of your fat intake, which will by necessity be rather low since animal products are ridiculously saturated with fat.
6. Don't worry about eating this fabricated 30% protein per day figure that diets such as "The Zone" and "The Atkins Diet" have proliferated. Instead, try and eat between 10% and 20% per day...which you'll easily manage if you eat a full can of beans, several glasses of soy milk, and leafy greens such as spinach each day. Overconsumption of protein is a leading factor in the startling rises of obesity, and it plays havoc on all sorts of vital functions within your body.
Hope that helps!
solves problems with violence
Posted On:12/30/2006 12:41pm
Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing
Originally Posted by Alex
but...but.... fish dont have feelings?!?!
yeah its a bullshit cop out that so many vegetarians seem to use. either go the whole 9 yards or not.
actually, it's not a cop out.
1) i don't consider myself a vegetarian, it's just easier to say that when i'm at a restaurant or eating with friends.
2) i don't judge others on what they eat. do whatever you want, i couldn't possibly care less. eat a big fat steak in front of me, i don't care.
3) i have a simple rule about what i eat: if i'm comfortable with the process it goes through before getting eaten, and i like the taste, i'll eat it.
so i have killed mammals and didn't like it much - just a gut feeling, not going to explain or justify it
i'm comfortable with fishing, and gutting and preparing the fish, so i eat fish.
i have worked on a farm, raised chickens and collected the eggs, etc, so i know that i have no desire to kill a chicken and eat it, but have no problem eating the eggs.
this seems like a logical way to approach what you eat, but again, it's MY choice and i don't push it on anyone else. please eat what you want, and i won't be a pompous ass and tell you what to eat.
please do me the same courtesy.
"Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
"When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
"Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
"Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
C.E. B.S.net Ambassador
Posted On:12/30/2006 12:56pm
Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll
It's horrible to read how some people actually make their diet up based on some charts...
I have high respect for everyone who doesn't consume animal products because of moral reasons.
I hate the meat industry.
I am a vegetarian in my heart.
Which means I am a ***** to actually stop eating dead animal tissue.
It just tastes so damn good.
Maybe one day I'll stop, but right now I'm munching prosciutto and mozarella, getting ready for some smoked salmon, etc...
And Virus, getting to know your vegan side was the second positive thing I got to read from you here on Bullshido (first being the Attila the -un joke...)
Wow, I got to the Number of the Beast in my postings! Happy New Year, spacemonkeys!
Last edited by Tonuzaba; 12/30/2006 12:58pm at .
CLICK & WATCH: I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!
"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce." - by Vorpal
Posted On:12/30/2006 1:00pm
Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing
Originally Posted by Alex
vegans are fags and god wouldnt of made cows out of steak if he didnt want us to eat them
Right on moron.
All Out of Bubblegum
Posted On:12/30/2006 1:17pm
I've never understood the idea of a competitive athelete that was a vegan.
Let me ask you this - are you willing to kill a chicken to be the champion?
I'd break one's neck with my bare hands. So you're basically saying "I'm not willing to go as far as my opponent, before I even start." You're training to beat the **** out of people, but you're worried about a cow's feelings? ****, I hate cows. I wish they could engineer one with built in barbeque sauce.
With careful management, I suppose a purely vegan diet could be competitive, but you can't find some options in even ovo-lacto vegetarianism? You're going to do the whole "no animal products whatsoever" thing?
There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Articles and Reviews
Tools and Info