Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 11:20pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ, Kickboxin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vegan/Vegitarian athletes and martial artists

Hey guys.
    Ive been vegitarian for two years (For moral reasons) , and have had no problems concerning energy levels or building muscle. In fact, I was in the best shape of anyone I knew.

At this time, I trained 5 days a week for two hours a day in kickboxing, freestlye wrestling and Bjj.

As of about a month ago, I stopped training (Im moving to a different country for a year) and I also became vegan. I did so cold turkey and Im still grappling with the dietary ajustments. Since then, Ive lost 4 kg of weight, which is a bad thing, putting me at 63 kg.

Part of this weight loss can be attributed to loss of muscle since I stopped training, I am sure, but I think alot ofit has to do with my change in diet.

I wanted to know if there were any other vegan or vego athletes out there who could share their experiences with training. The reason I specified athletes is because their needs are different to other martial artists who train purley for self defense.

Being in great physical condition is a part of the sport.

Thanking you in anticipation for your sincere input, and damming those trolls in advance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 11:28pm

Style: n00b.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Start eating meat, or at least drinking milk. A good white moustache is good for you: it'll have protein and possibly calcium, depending on the composition.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 11:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's some stuff called Quorn which is a fungus meat-replacementy stuff. It's basically pure protein, and they sell it in a variety of more or less weird tasting flavours. Not sure if you have it down under, but it's worth a look if the prospect of eating endless bowls of beans fails to appeal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 12:00am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ, Kickboxin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice, Ill check it out!
    Are you a vegitarian/vegan? And if so, for how long?
    What challenges have you encountered and how have you overcome them?

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 12:36am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Astounding. 2 years as a vegetarian, and you still can't spell the word.

On a non-trolling note, I went veggie for one year. I did a lot of MA based fitness training that year, and my strength and endurance increased just fine. I ate a variety of beans and pulses and every veggie you can think of, along with lots of whole grain.
    I think veganism's a bad idea, eggs milk and cheese are good sources of protein...

But for ****'s sake, just eat meat, it tastes so damn good. Bacon sandwiches will be your downfall in the end, guarantee it.

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 1:00am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godhand
    Hey guys.
    Ive been vegitarian for two years (For moral reasons) , and have had no problems concerning energy levels or building muscle. In fact, I was in the best shape of anyone I knew.

At this time, I trained 5 days a week for two hours a day in kickboxing, freestlye wrestling and Bjj.

As of about a month ago, I stopped training (Im moving to a different country for a year) and I also became vegan. I did so cold turkey and Im still grappling with the dietary ajustments. Since then, Ive lost 4 kg of weight, which is a bad thing, putting me at 63 kg.

Part of this weight loss can be attributed to loss of muscle since I stopped training, I am sure, but I think alot ofit has to do with my change in diet.

I wanted to know if there were any other vegan or vego athletes out there who could share their experiences with training. The reason I specified athletes is because their needs are different to other martial artists who train purley for self defense.

Being in great physical condition is a part of the sport.

Thanking you in anticipation for your sincere input, and damming those trolls in advance.
    You stated that you quit eating meat for moral reasons but why did you stop drinking milk,ect.ect.?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 1:20am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    There's some stuff called Quorn which is a fungus meat-replacementy stuff. It's basically pure protein, and they sell it in a variety of more or less weird tasting flavours. Not sure if you have it down under, but it's worth a look if the prospect of eating endless bowls of beans fails to appeal.
    we eat this in my house because i don't eat meat (but i do eat dairy and fish) i like quorn a lot and if you know how to cook (like my fiancee does) you can do great things with it.

i find it hard to get enough protein (personal goal is over 70g/day, with me weighing 145lbs) so i supplement with whey protein in powders - cooking and shakes, bars and pre-made shakes i can take with me when i'm out. i also try to vary my protein sources as much as possible, with my main sources being: whey, fish, eggs, quorn, and soy.

i try to avoid soy as a portein source, as it is quite difficult to turn it into muscle, but when i eat out, any veggie food will have tofu, so i do end up eating some.

from a vegan point of view there are some other sources you can look to besides soy, but i haven't seen many and have no idea how easy they are for the body to turn into muscle. i think quorn and maybe wheat gluten would be your best choices in terms of protein if you want to avoid dairy (whey.)

i have my own reasons for my choice in diet, but often wish i could just eat meat, cause it would be so much easier to meet my protein goals that way, but i am cool with the way i am eating now.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 1:25am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    vegans are fags and god wouldnt of made cows out of steak if he didnt want us to eat them

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 1:27am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    we eat this in my house because i don't eat meat (but i do eat dairy and fish)

er... *raises hand*

a fish is an animal, and ergo, animal flesh, AKA meat.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 1:35am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but...but.... fish dont have feelings?!?!

yeah its a bullshit cop out that so many vegetarians seem to use. either go the whole 9 yards or not.
Page 1 of 38 1 234511 ... LastLast