222475 Bullies, 4317 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I suck Rudy Abel's Dick, I love the taste.

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 6:30am

Style: Traditional TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Leg Cramp While Sleeping

I've been training at about the same rate lately over the past few months (roadwork, bagwork, drills, etc). I didn't out of the blue just throw in a massive workout. To the contrary, I did nothing on Thursday and Friday, my first two day rest in a long time.

But Christmas Eve I was woken with an incredible leg cramp in my left calf. The whole calf just knotted up on me. I was rolling around in my bed in all directions shouting "Owwwww!" The young lady who spent the night may not be doing so again in the near future because it was such a scene.

Unlike those painful knots I used to get in my foot that would go away, I couldn't walk when I woke up later. It took a whole day of limping around to sort of work it out. The whole calf was very tender to touch. Now after another night's sleep its much better, but there's still some lingering pain.

What can cause this? And what can I do to prevent it in the future? I'm wondering if the excessive amounts of red wine I drank on Christmas Eve dehydrated me and caused the cramp/spasms? Or is it a symptom of overtrainig?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 7:26am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had the same thing happen to me, very unpleasant, although I didn't have difficulty walking afterwards. I don't know if there are any reasons for getting cramp that are specific to when you are sleeping, as far as I'm aware the causes are the same, ie. dehydration, lack of oxygen and/or electrolyte depletion. The wikipedia page on cramps has some more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramps
    Straight punches make you go blind. More damage is done to a criminals nervous system when they are struck. Strikes that make you stronger. All this and more systema douchebaggery:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak-m2iwI7Q

NEW BONUS REEL, feat RobG at it again! lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJDnMDJVWmQ

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 6:55pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by emboesso
    I'm wondering if the excessive amounts of red wine I drank on Christmas Eve dehydrated me and caused the cramp/spasms?
    I think you've got it. Alchohol itself and dehydration from alchohol are two big culprits. I'm not qualified to say if you were overtraining but someone here could tell you. Personally I'd wonder if working so hard then -not- doing anything for two days wasn't part of it, I've experienced stuff like that before. Water and vitamins should help, there's alot of info on calcium and potassium etc. and cramps.

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 10:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know there's alot of guys who drink Pedialyte because it doesn't have so much sugar, the downfall of Gatorade and similar stuff, although that does have its place. If you have a well balanced diet, your actual electrolyte intake should be ok, but theres alot of supplements out there if you think otherwise or want to be on the safe side. Electrolytes include sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium, magnesium and some others. Bananas are great for potassium. Watch how much caffeine you're getting in relation to the dehydration. I would basically follow the old advice to drink before you get thirsty, and the stretching's a good idea. Since you're running so much, consider how old your shoes are too. People have alot of different equations for when to replace running shoes, but in general a few months of use is time to start thinking about a new pair. I haven't had a calf cramp in a long time, but I have had them, so I know they suck, especially when they wake you up and you're in pain with no idea of what's going on.

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 11:57pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first time I had this I semi-freaked out since I didn't know what it was. Since then it is kinda fun dealing with the pain. Then again I may have issues.

The last time I had it was 1.5 months ago, when I had still had my cast on. Previous to this I had been eating a lot of outside junk food and little fruits. I had cracked my shin a while ago and still had a hard cast on my right leg. Fortunately this incident cramped up my LEFT calf and I was thankful it wasn't my right or else my bone may have been made to point in directions it shouldn't.

Drink water, eat bananas. 'A lot' is two words.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 6:08am

Style: CQC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I remember it is caused by a deficiency of Potassium which you can happily rectify by eating bannanas in particular.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ What he said. Bananas rule. Potassium supplementation also does the trick.

As for electrolyte depletion, how does one go about ensuring there's enough of that in one's diet, other than drinking sugary drinks like Gatorade? How is it added naturally to the diet?
    There is a folk remedy back in my country. A 50/50 solution of water and orange juice, with a tiny bit of table salt (not sea salt) or sodium bicarbonate per 8oz.

Your diet should provide all the necessary minerals: potassium, sodium, magnesium, etc. By diet I mean not only your food intake, but your supplements.

Yu also have to remain hydrated. An active person should drink 3/4 of a gallon (water, gatorade... not coffee or tea) a day at a minimum. However, be careful never to drink more than 1/2 a gallon at any given time nor rely exclusively in pure water when you are physically drained.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/16/2007 2:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    However, be careful never to drink more than 1/2 a gallon at any given time nor rely exclusively in pure water when you are physically drained.
    right, just say no to hyponatremia, even for a Nintendo Wii :happy7:

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 12:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This happened to me last night. It's done this before, all you gotta do is pull your toes back, pointing your heel out. It subsided in less than a minute, and I was asleep again rather fast.

I think i'm allergic to whatever crap they spray the fruit with these days. Whenever i eat fruit, no matter how much i wash it, I have allergic reactions despite not being allergic to any fruit.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2007 12:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast