Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 4:35am

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

wheelchair karate

Ok, I have been doing a little research on wheelchair martial arts for whatever reason . I have seen a few sites, and found a few posts on other random sites from people who claim to be wheel chair martial artists, most seem to be talking about karate, though one guy was saying he is a blue belt in Tae Kwon Do(..?!). What do you guys think about this trend (I'll call it that for the sake of argument)? And do you know much about the training regimens for these arts, sparring, etc?

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 5:34am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm all for including the disabled if you can, but you have to use reason. Someone paralyzed from the waist down will never be a good kicker, but that doesn't mean they can't be a competitor or an athlete.

A perfect example of this in a martial art/combat sport is Kyle Maynard.

According to his website: http://www.kmaynard.com/index.html
    Kyle was born March 24, 1986 with a rare disorder called, "Congenital Amputation." This left Kyle with only three major joints: a neck and two shoulders. Despite his physical differences, Kyle was one of the top wrestlers in Georgia in his senior year. His visit to the 2004 Georgia State Wrestling Championships left him with an impressive record of 35-16. Continuing his amazing career, Kyle is now wrestling at the University of Georgia and has begun training in Jiu-Jitsu and competing in the sport of submission wrestling.
    Kyle's story is actually pretty damn inspriational. If you're not familar with his story, I suggest you check out his site.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 5:48am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As shown by Kyle's example, I can see people normal confined to wheel chairs training and competing in grappling based arts. I can also see some with use of their upperbody training in some sort of striking art, say karate or boxing.

Athletes are athletes whether that have the use of all their limbs or not.

Case and point, Mark Zupan. AKA the Quadfather.

This guy is captain of the U.S. quadriplegic rugby team, a sport so brutal a bloody it is lovelying refered to a Murderball.

Zupan is a legit bad mother fucker, and could likely kick ass of most able bodied people.

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 8:08am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ron Mann is an MMA fighter with a prosthetic leg, specially padded just to be fair. He trains in Muay Thai and BJJ against "able bodied" people.

http://www.college-park.com/CPStore/...nialsRMann.asp

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 8:16am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher
    I'm all for including the disabled if you can, but you have to use reason. Someone paralyzed from the waist down will never be a good kicker, but that doesn't mean they can't be a competitor or an athlete.

A perfect example of this in a martial art/combat sport is Kyle Maynard.

According to his website: http://www.kmaynard.com/index.html

Kyle's story is actually pretty damn inspriational. If you're not familar with his story, I suggest you check out his site.
    Wow, he's immue to most joint locks eh?

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 8:48am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, but he *should* be easy to choke or pin in most peoples' minds. He's not because he's so damn fast. Honestly, I think you could argue that when it comes to rotating on the major axis (turning around with the spine as the center of the rotation) he can be faster than a lot of people with arms and legs. How many times have I tried to make a move in BJJ and found that I just couldn't get my leg through the hole? He exploits the gifts he does have to great advantage.

My Tae Kwon Do instructor (former) is a 4th degree WTF black belt and a paraplegic. He instructs from the chair; his wife is a 2nd degree and a PE teacher by trade, and she instructs with him. He DOES instruct almost every class. He also spars. The catch is that he has a wheelchair for you to spar in--and your legs are strapped into the thing when you spar him.

He throws very rapid center punches; with what I know now I would say they look like Wingy Chingy chain punches. He does throw knifehand and palm strikes. Of course, in WTF sparring his students don't know how to take a punch to the head, so he doesn't strike to the head. When he puts one of his black belts in a wheelchair he's pretty good at staying slightly behind them where they can't do much to him. They spend most of their time trying to move the chair.

He earned his belt more or less legitimately from what I know (within the rules and confines of WTF TKD) before a car accident that left him paralyzed from the waist down. I could be wrong, but I believe he said he had not been promoted since the accident and would not be.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 9:24am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher

Soccer kicks FTW.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, yeah, I don't think you'll see him in PRIDE any time soon.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 9:52am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyle Maynard is a bad man!

TKD

PS - I hear the musical forms in Wheelchair Karate are the bomb!

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 10:32am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Well, yeah, I don't think you'll see him in PRIDE any time soon.
    Well, maybe if they match him up against Giant Silva.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast