Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 10:31pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in the exact same position, I'm pretty new but I really try not to power my way though things since I'm the biggest guy in my class.

However, the higher belts which are much smaller guys than me still own me (as they should). I try to play with them from the bottom to improve that aspect of my game. Even as a relative noob if I get a really good cross body on a much lighter guy its hard for him to get out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 12:42am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MONGO
    If you are small, try to use postitioning to hold down the strong guys. If technique is properly applied, it is possible to hold down and postitionally dominate a larger opponent.
    True but if your a small guy who's strong its a lot easier to make your **** work. Every small grappler should dedicate a lot of his training time to weightlifting rather than relying entirely on technique and positioning. I lift weight like crazy and as a result I can literally out muscle similarly experienced guys who are up to 40lbs heavier than me. Just because your small doesnt mean you have to be weak.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 12:51am

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good osaekomi (hold down positions) are a good part of any grappling game. I find that I get better practice on the strength freaks and monsters in the Dojo because I have to utilize every ounce of weight and it still isn't enough. It forces me to rely upon positioning and position maintenance rather than only being heavy.

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 5:19pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since I'm a bigger guy, I generally try to avoid just riding smaller guys. If I get a mount or good side control on them, I generally could hold many of them all day. It just isn't cool to do this. So, if I get a good control position, I'll quickly try to tranistion to something else, whether it is another control position or a submission attack. When I attack, I try not to be a brute, but just try to execute cleanly.

Little guys can be difficult to catch with some submissions, as they tend to be quicker than me. It forces me to work smooth transitions and not leave gaps when I go from control hold to attack.

Also, I'll sometimes just pull guard and let them attempt passes and attacks, just so I'm forced to react quickly with counters and defenses.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 6:34pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    i would like some of this advice to hand out to my sparring partners, speaking as a 145lb guy who has to roll with the 200lb+ crew all the time.
    HAHHAHHAHAHHAH

Welcome to my world, muthafuckers. Be the only woman in a BJJ class of guys who are all 10-60 pounds heavier.

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2007 7:03pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm about 145-150 myself, so i'm right there with a lot of you.

strength is a bad thing to fall back on in training, just because it won't always work. it's always there if you have it and need it, but i feel like it should be a last resort.

case in point: guy trying to muscle his way out of my grip (gi) while he was in my guard.

i stopped him and said that he was wasting his time, because even if he succeeded against my weak little arms, he wouldn't be honing his technique and wouldn't learn how to deal with a stronger opponent.

which is what judo and jiujitsu are really all about, i think.

an instructor once said: if i can kick your ass already, i don't need to fight you with jiujitsu.

so yeah, don't muscle stuff. learn to relax and remove muscular tension, so you're just like rope.. slack until you need to push or pull. think in shapes and angles, focus on moving yourself into the right position rather than moving your opponent around. (you can "move" him with pain and setups or whatever, but that's inspiring him to move himself)

sensitivity beats strength, position beats power, etc.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12