Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/28/2006 4:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zendeath2000
    and scorpions (50 each side, if you don't know what it is ask me)
    Okay, I'm asking.

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 9:19am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tabata and Boot camp style workouts! Ross trains people who want to lose weight or gain endurance entirely with interval style workouts. www.rosstraining.com

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 9:38am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Intervals.
    It's been a while since I've done any, but back when I was fit, I used to do a couple of interval sessions a week along with a third long, steady run.
    The good thing about intervals, leaving aside the vomiting and collapsing, is that you can be creative and do them loads of different ways. If you find running as boring as I do, this is important.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 3:12pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't do the same thing day after day. The best results come from periodizing your training. Do LSD (long slow distance) one day and intervals the next. You can periodize your weeks so that one week is not exactly the same as the last. Top athletes even periodize their years, so that one year is not the same as last, aiming to peak for specific events like the Olympics.

Since you are running for cross-training, it should complement your MA training. If I assume your MA training will be more like intervals (intense effort for a minute or two followed by recovery), then I think it would make sense to have the running do your long endurance work. You'll have to figure out if that makes sense.

Running is great--one of the few ways you can do a 30 minute workout that means something. For aerobic exercise, you start to get benefits *after* 20 minutes, so work your way up to 30 minutes or so. Unless you are old or really out of shape, start at 15 min. and work your way up by 10% per week.

Don't track distance. Just track time and intensity. For endurance shoot for an intensity of about 65-70% of max heartrate (approx. 220 subtract your age). Distance is utterly meaningless unless you want to brag "hey baby, I just ran 5 miles!".

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 4:33pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Long, steady state cardio pretty much sucks ass for any martial artist (and for anyone whose sport is not distance running). It's almost worthless for the kind of cardiovascular fitness you need and it comes with the added bonus of frequently making you weaker and less explosive! And doubly bad for people with some mass (~200+ lbs).

HIIT, fartleks, tabatas and jump rope are the way to go, or "GPP" kinds of exercise.

Or something like this: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1083869

Or: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=468125

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 1:35pm

Style: Pai Lum K.F.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.jc.edu/athletics/accelera...0Scorpions.MPG

this is a poor video demonstration but it is the best i could find to better illustrate the movements involved. Start with you left leg curled but instead of being straight up and down like he was actually start sideways with your right arm supporting your weight and then twist completely over till your curled leg is twisting your whole body, then return to the starting postion alternating sides after 10 each side.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12