12/29/2006 11:05am

Style: Aikido and other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humm
    Have you ever..

a. Trained under Kazuo Chiba for any length of time
    b. Taken ukemi from him at any time

If the answer was yes to either a or b, I think your opinons would be different. Another Aikidoka perhaps Mr. Jones should front-up is Ichiro Shibata.
    There is my distinction. Just because he can thrown a willing uke hard it doesn;t mean he can

a. throw a resisting, aggressive opponent hard, or

b. even fight well for that matter.

Now, to his credit, I've heard really good things about Chiba Sensei, which is saying alot coming from a Yoshinkan guy, considering that we consider most of you aikikai guys to be a bunch of cream puffs by our standards. Perhaps he's one of those bad asses who can dish it out if needs to. I've seen a few aikidoka like that, Yoshinkan, Aikikai, Tomiki, or otherwise. But taking the word of former students is a hideously unreliable guage of an aikido sensei's ability to throw down, because all of their students are going to tell me what a bad ass their instructor is.

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 11:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 11:38am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    My understand is that aikido changed as O'sensei aged.
    This isn't far from the truth although his "age" had more to do with his development of the aikido an old man [he] would be capable of rather than developing that method of aikido specifically for those much younger. Therein lay another problem because of the idological/philosophical facets many people study "old man's" aikido which has more focus upon blending and redirection rather than being able to meet force with some degree of force (IE solid atemi).

Now, whilst I'm not going to attempt to say that awase isn't an important part of aikido gensoku it has taken precedence over effective atemi integrated into waza it's self.

I teach aikido techniques on the premise of the following:

Atemi can be applied 1. BEFORE 2. DURING and 3. AFTER techniques and indeed in some cases a combination of all three.

Aikido technique should not be segregated from atemi... Atemi is aikido technique

Conflict resolution without violence is an IDEOLOGY not a sole REASON for study.
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 12/29/2006 11:41am at .

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 11:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another interview:

Anything else Sensei?

When I returned to Japan from England, in 1978, a man issued a challenge to us. But Hombu Dojo refused it, despite his persistence.

Was he a Karateka?

Nobody knew what he did. As I said he was persistent, and every few weeks he would return to challenge us. Each time I had to explain that we could not accept. I think that the man was not quite 'right' in the head. Anyway, eventually I personally had enough of him and accepted his challenge. We arranged to meet and sort it out. I insisted that we agree not to press charges in the event of serious injury and we exchanged letters to that effect. I told him as a Martial Arts teacher I was prepared to die if need be. Well, we met and I initiated with offense, moving directly to him and I struck him first. This threw him back against the wall and as I came towards him he jumped on me: he was like a tiger. I then finished him with Nikkyo (the second immobilization). He had had enough by then. There was much blood and he was on the floor screaming. That was the last challenge he offered us - it seems that he did not expect an Aikidoist to initiate an attack.
    Aikido technique should not be segregated from atemi... Atemi is aikido technique
    Aikido without atemi is like a man without vice.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 11:52am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS
    Aikido without atemi is like a man without vice.
    I know it.. Shame more don't.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 12:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshoryu
    And interestingly enough the position and application of katakateme as seen in this image might as well be directly taken from Dai-to Ryu (which it is) because the application of tegatana in this way is an indication of a lethal finish with tanto or kodachi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 12:45pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And interestingly enough the position and application of katakateme as seen in this image might as well be directly taken from Dai-to Ryu (which it is) because the application of tegatana in this way is an indication of a lethal finish with tanto or kodachi.

I strongly advice you against the use (direct or by implication) of such words as "lethal", "deadly" or even "mean" in a same sentence with Aikido. A 5-6 paragraph precautionary separation should probably keep you safe.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 1:00pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshoryu
    I strongly advice you against the use (direct or by implication) of such words as "lethal", "deadly" or even "mean" in a same sentence with Aikido. A 5-6 paragraph precautionary separation should probably keep you safe.
    Advice taken under advisement. However; having your neck sliced open with either tanto or kodachi would indeed be "lethal" "deadly" and in some cases (depending upon who you converse with) down-right "mean". So on this particular case, the terms are in actuality, statements of fact.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 1:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This actually turned into a good thread. Surprising given the OP. Dave, I especially like your posts with regards to training methodologies (kihon, oso and ara), the need for "martial intent" (Hikizuchi-sensei used a slightly different term in Japanese, but its eluding me for the time being - something like "honest" or "true" or "serious" intent) and the importance of atemi.

FWIW, though, with regards to the spiritual aspect of Aikido being more of a Western obsession, Hikizuchi-sensei also focused quite a bit on this and would give long lectures on the subject on the monthly anniversaries of O-sensei's and his wife's deaths following the reliqious ceremony he'd hold on these days. He'd preach constantly about Aikido being a "budo of love" and how different it was from the Aikibudo they did before the War, "whose intent was to kill with a single technique." Of course, I think he had a part of him that still missed that old style Aikido, because he'd often demonstrate how they did the old style waza when demonstrating the current waza. He also almost word for word said would you wrote about atemi being at the heart of Aikido.

I think this is something that is missing from a lot of post-War Aikido schools, especially outside of Japan. One thing to keep in mind when comparing a lot of the old school Aikidoka that studied under Ueshiba pre-War with Aikidoka of today is that the pre-War Aikidoka all had previous experience in other martial arts, so most already had a base to work from that often included striking and/or weapons of some sort, as well as "martial intent." From my very limited experience with Aikidoka in the US, it seems like most of those that are drawn to Aikido have no previous MA background, so don't know how to throw a punch or grab someone with the intent of doing them harm. Moreover, since they are drawn to Aikido as a "peaceful" (i.e. crunchy granola eating hugs for everyone) MA, they have no inclination to learn this aspect of the art. Of course, once they earn their black belts, then they start teaching their hippy-dippy Aiki dancing to other crunchy granola types, and the whole cycle repeats itself ad naseum.

Just my $0.02.

edited to add a video of Aikido being used against a fully resisting opponent.

http://www.break.com/index/taken_dow...as_police.html

Used a link instead of imbedding it since its not Youtube or Google video.
    Last edited by TEA; 12/29/2006 1:58pm at . Reason: To add video

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 2:24pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :rolleyes:

Another ill informed opinion.

Aikikai is not a style of aikido but an organisation under which, aikido organisations may apply for affiliate membership. It just happens to be lead by the Ueshiba family

Ueshiba's 1st generation students didn't set up their own methods purely because of what you suggest, which is simplistic at best and misleading.

There's no credible art known as Aikibudo, that phrase was coined by Ueshiba to describe what he was doing at that time, Aikijujutsu is merely a generic phrase it is not an accurate form/style name unlike say Dai-to Ryu or Kaze Arashi aikijujutsu
    1. The only people that state that there are no aikido styles (just one big happy family) are to my knowledge the aikikai people. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido
    2. The question was about aikido's effectiveness not specifically history what I stated might be simplistic to you but that was the main reason.
    3. Aikijujitsu are styles that include daiti ryu and others that spawn out of it; some of these styles also called themselves aikibudo.
    4. The best known aikibudo organization is based in France and was formed by Alain Floquet and is a mix of Yoseikan and Daito Ryu. http://www.aikibudo.com. Also France is the country with the largest number of aiki practitioners in the world and the fist country
    ouside Japan to practice Aikido.
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 ... LastLast