Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 3:52pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humm
    "Training properly" Hmm.. What exactly do you know about aikido, its origins, the principles which influence it and, the major issues which cause it such negative rep ? I'm suspecting very little. Perhaps you should have taken the time to read a few of my posts.No.. I disagree; Aikido isn't what most people expect it to be and, if you'd read my posts on this subject you'd have known that. Aikido is often portrayed by IT'S OWN STUDENTS as something its not and, this is where it attracts the attention of people who do know what they talk about in terms of realistic 'modern' fighting arts however; just to make a point; "Realistic" training in aikido would involve the use of the Japanese sword, tanto and jo/yari that's because those weapons form the basis of the arts origins, not street brawling or reality based self defence.Thanks, I'll consider myself a Jewish Japanophile then.

I was not claiming to be an authority on the history of aikido, one thing I do know is that how can you expect to use techniques you train in in a combat situation when you don't have the practice to be able to use them against a fully resisting opponent?

Realistic training would not so much involve training in sword (maybe knife, yes in today's world that would be realistic) or spear, however if the system is taught today and touted as an unarmed art, then how do you learn this realistically?

Are you saying that aikido is an art that can only work if one is using a sword, knife, spear, etc.?

In my mind that would be traditional training of the art, parts of which are not applicable today that depending on the teacher's goal, should be minimized.

why shouldn't the techniques be taught with full resistance (eventually, obviously it doesn't help when the guy doesn't even know what the hell he is doing yet.)?

I apologize that I still have not had time to read all the comments in this thread. I will get to it.

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 4:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky
    .... how can you expect to use techniques you train in in a combat situation when you don't have the practice to be able to use them against a fully resisting opponent?
    The idea is drilling them against progressive resistance, but as resistance as a learning tool has been frowned upon by mainline aikido hippies, now what you find under the name of aikido is only hippy dancing, not a martial art.

In words of David Alexander

Constructive resistance is not a break of harmony, but on the contrary the ultimate in harmony because trainees help each other to develop at the fastest possible rate.

Senior trainees are paired with junior trainees in basic training. Senior trainees, with their superior knowledge, are able to provide the right amount and direction of resistance so that the junior partner must struggle to feel out how to overcome the resistance and make the technique work. Junior trainees are encouraged to resist senior partners with everything they have (generally pure muscular power), so that the senior trainees can hone their technique against full resistance.
    Although dance-like movements can be learned without resistance, constructive resistance is necessary to learn effective technique because without resistance a trainee does not know if the technique is really working. Constructive resistance provides the feedback and guidance that are necessary to deal effectively with the reality of physical strength.
    In basic training, constructive resistance is applied directly against the technique. At advanced levels, constructive resistance can include uninhibited attempts to escape or reverse the technique.

Resistance is only constructive if it results in trainees growing and improving their technique and spirit. The level of resistance must not be excessive, because trainees will never learn techniques if they are prevented from performing them. Preventing a trainee from performing a technique is further counterproductive in that it defeats self-confidence and self-esteem.

The proper level of resistance is such that a trainee is able to complete a technique with great difficulty. This is also extremely good physical exercise, straining many muscles of the body. Beginners, however, must sometimes be given negative resistance such that they are physically guided to perform the proper movements.

Resistance is counterproductive if it is based on egotism, or a desire to compete with, humiliate or intimidate a training partner. Under no circumstances should a training partner be deliberately injured or subjected to a dangerous situation. The purpose of constructive resistance is to help a training partner learn effective technique, and counterproductive resistance defeats this purpose.

Realistic training would not so much involve training in sword (maybe knife, yes in today's world that would be realistic) or spear, however if the system is taught today and touted as an unarmed art, then how do you learn this realistically?

Are you saying that aikido is an art that can only work if one is using a sword, knife, spear, etc.?
    Let's see. Aikido is an art that can only work and understood by the practitioneer if the results (physical and psychological) of weapons training are absolutely assumed.

In my mind that would be traditional training of the art, parts of which are not applicable today that depending on the teacher's goal, should be minimized.
    But weapons training are applicable, even if the probably of being attacked by a sword wielding opponent is very low, getting used to be the target of big wooden sticks while training gives you a mental edge not achieved with being punched with gloves.

why shouldn't the techniques be taught with full resistance (eventually, obviously it doesn't help when the guy doesn't even know what the hell he is doing yet.)?
    [/QUOTE]
    Read above.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 8:32am

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the question "is it ok to start martial arts at the age of twelve":

Quote Originally Posted by Linda bug
    You can start as early as you want because my grand-son has been in it for years and he is 12 years old and has just received his BLACK BELT!!!!!!!!

Infidel

Posted On:
    1/05/2007 12:12pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure why not?
    7, 12,28- Don't see why age would be a factor on when someone starts martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2007 10:51pm

Style: Boxing, MMA/MT/BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Akido. A purely defensive MA that implores no real striking at all. The classmates who are thrown about and taken down, therefore, usually have no real striking experience. It's almost like saying that beating up small children and people half your size for years on end will make you an effective fighter.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 2:45pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meggaman7
    Akido. A purely defensive MA that implores no real striking at all. The classmates who are thrown about and taken down, therefore, usually have no real striking experience.
    Oh pleaaassee :rolleyes: get your facts straight before making yourself look a numpty. Didn't you bother to read the thread before you infected it ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718