221937 Bullies, 4296 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 141 to 150 of 176
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 161718 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Shinshoryu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Absurdisburgo
    Posts
    294

    Posted On:
    12/31/2006 8:28pm


     Style: Aikido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34
    Take that **** to the bank beatttcchh!!!
    If it wasn't only for the irony that your MA is considered **** by almost every single person in this forum...

    About the "BJJ noob", sorry pal but not because you write like them it means you are one of them. Might want to try some other way to fit in their circle, the tough-guy-posts method is just too sad.
  2. Sith_Lord is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    150

    Posted On:
    12/31/2006 9:50pm


     Style: Not lost...Found Judo+MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I recently stopped doing Aikido, and I feel great. Far too much romanticisizing of the Japanese culture and Ueshiba. I wanted a MA with more contact and more resistance and something that is far more reliable. So I'm taking Judo and might add BJJ/Boxing to the mix.

    My issues with Aikido:
    Unrealistic Attacks - The strikes are as about unrealistic and as telegraphed as they come and very ridiculous to perform. Yes, I know the Aikidoka on here will hit me with ("But they represent the principles of a jab, hook, cross") , but I got out the cult, and realize those attacks are silly.


    Sword and Bo Staff are practiced, but I've grown to hate them, as with Katas. They are pointless and a waste of time since I won't be going into battle on horseback with a katana anytime soon. If I want to study sword and hit people I'll do Kendo. And a Kendoist will beat an Aikido person pretty badly.


    Compliant Partners - When I spar with other MAs such as JJ, Karate, Wrestling, the resistance level is like night and day compared to Aikido. My sparring partners are actually try to hit me and counter me, something I never got with Aikido, just people scrambling for the fall. The only Aikidoka who threw me for real were ones who did other MAs or could fight....

    Philosophy - Competition is bad, ego is bad, etc. My personal philosophy is competition is good and ego is good, because it builds confidence and test your skills, and Aikido was trying to destroy my confidence with mind-tricks and guilt trips. Too much LARPing!!!


    Aikido is theory, and by Aikido logic, I can study the workings of a piano and the sheet music of a Chopin Nocturne, but then be able to play the piece without ever touching
    the keyboard before. Yes, doing the 3rd Jo Kata will stop someone from hitting me with a jab or kick even though I've never been taught kick or punch responses.


    Things I've heard Aikido people say:
    "An incorrect Aikido technique is still 99% effective"
    "Aikido is the ultimate martial art"
    "Those UFC, Pride Guys are animals"
    "Katas are important"
    "Irimi Nage can break necks"
    "Aikido can prepare you for any attack"
    "If you want take the ki out, you are just doing Jujitsu/Judo"

    Aikido just became unpleasant due to the constant lecturing about non-aggression/harmony every class. I didn't want to hear BS anymore so I left.

    Aikido improvements:
    - More aggression and resistance in ukemi
    - A supplement should be a focus on strikes to solidify atemi
    - More focus on unbalancing/distracting opponent to set up techniques
    - Focus on applicable techniques, (irmi nage, koshi nage, kotegaeshi)
    - Stop the LARPing and Japan/Kill Bill/Tom Cruise worship


    Aikido is good if you did a MA before, ie doing Algebra/Geometry then Calculus....!!!

    Shame, I've seen ni-dan and above who can't even punch without breaking something in their hand....
  3. Mr. Jones is offline
    Mr. Jones's Avatar

    resident sick ****

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,309

    Posted On:
    12/31/2006 9:54pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kata is important you idiot. And it doesn't only have to do with Aikido.
    カンフー
  4. Sith_Lord is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    150

    Posted On:
    12/31/2006 10:05pm


     Style: Not lost...Found Judo+MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    Kata is important you idiot. And it doesn't only have to do with Aikido.
    I used to like Kata as well, but I think its pointless. How will 8 direction exercise be helpful in a fight? It's like playing air guitar or something, sure it looks like something, but not really helpful.
  5. Shinshoryu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Absurdisburgo
    Posts
    294

    Posted On:
    12/31/2006 10:48pm


     Style: Aikido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Lord
    ...My issues with Aikido:

    Unrealistic Attacks - The strikes are as about unrealistic ...

    Sword and Bo Staff are practiced, but I've grown to hate them, as with Katas....

    Compliant Partners - When I spar with other MAs such as JJ, Karate, Wrestling, the resistance level is like night and day compared to Aikido...

    Philosophy - Competition is bad, ego is bad, etc. My personal philosophy is competition is good and ego is good, because it builds confidence and test your skills...
    Everything you have mentioned here has already been dealt with in one way or another in this exact same thread. Please, at least browse the thread a little bit before posting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Lord
    .Things I've heard Aikido people say:
    "An incorrect Aikido technique is still 99% effective"
    "Aikido is the ultimate martial art"
    "Those UFC, Pride Guys are animals"
    "Katas are important"
    "Irimi Nage can break necks"
    "Aikido can prepare you for any attack"
    "If you want take the ki out, you are just doing Jujitsu/Judo"

    Aikido just became unpleasant due to the constant lecturing about non-aggression/harmony every class. I didn't want to hear BS anymore so I left.
    You must have chosen one pretty crappy Aikido school (granted, there's lots of them).
    Last edited by Shinshoryu; 1/01/2007 10:27am at .
  6. Sith_Lord is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    150

    Posted On:
    12/31/2006 10:56pm


     Style: Not lost...Found Judo+MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshoryu
    Everything you have mentioned have already been dealt with in one way or another in this exact same thread. Please, at least browse the thread a little bit before posting.



    You must have chosen one pretty crappy Aikido school (granted, there's lots of them).
    A more effictive approach to Aikido would to get rid of the philosophy and focus more
    on techniques. Some schools I've been to simply demonstrate technique and we go right into it while others make each class seem like a Church sermon on morals and ethics....:sleepy3: and no MA at all. The techniques (usable ones) are reasonable for defence, but the methodology behind their teachings is downright terrible.

    I got out of the aiki-cult, I'm no longer brainwashed, and it feels good.
    Last edited by Sith_Lord; 12/31/2006 11:01pm at .
  7. Mr. Jones is offline
    Mr. Jones's Avatar

    resident sick ****

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,309

    Posted On:
    12/31/2006 11:41pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Lord
    I used to like Kata as well, but I think its pointless. How will 8 direction exercise be helpful in a fight? It's like playing air guitar or something, sure it looks like something, but not really helpful.
    Kata is a useful training tool.
    カンフー
  8. Mr. Jones is offline
    Mr. Jones's Avatar

    resident sick ****

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,309

    Posted On:
    12/31/2006 11:43pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Lord
    A more effictive approach to Aikido would to get rid of the philosophy and focus more
    on techniques. Some schools I've been to simply demonstrate technique and we go right into it while others make each class seem like a Church sermon on morals and ethics....:sleepy3: and no MA at all. The techniques (usable ones) are reasonable for defence, but the methodology behind their teachings is downright terrible.

    I got out of the aiki-cult, I'm no longer brainwashed, and it feels good.
    I was in an Aikido cult before. But it didn't make me hate Aikido as a whole.
    カンフー
  9. Rock Ape is offline
    Rock Ape's Avatar

    Watch and Shoot !

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,125

    Posted On:
    1/01/2007 8:46am

    staff
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Lord
    Well, I recently stopped doing Aikido, and I feel great. Far too much romanticisizing of the Japanese culture and Ueshiba.
    See my comments on the Koryu influences which dominate aikido as a gendai art.
    My issues with Aikido:
    Unrealistic Attacks - The strikes are as about unrealistic and as telegraphed as they come and very ridiculous to perform. Yes, I know the Aikidoka on here will hit me with ("But they represent the principles of a jab, hook, cross") , but I got out the cult, and realize those attacks are silly.
    Let's be specific about the word "cult". Adhering to classical doctrine in terms of the methods of attack and equally the methods of dealing with those attacks a cult does not make... That would otherwise be called "Koryu" old school (see my previous posts on that subject) However, for you to draw a conclusion that the aikido you experienced was cult like, you've either had the misfortune to attend a really bad aikido dojo and or, you haven't be taught the origins of the art thusly, you approached your training with a misconception that because aikido is 'modern', it would suit your modern notions/expectations of its effectiveness.

    Sword and Bo Staff are practiced, but I've grown to hate them, as with Katas. They are pointless and a waste of time since I won't be going into battle on horseback with a katana anytime soon. If I want to study sword and hit people I'll do Kendo. And a Kendoist will beat an Aikido person pretty badly.
    Whilst I can't deny you won't be carrying a sword or bo/jo with you, you've completely missed the entire point of training with those weapons, perhaps not entirely your fault because I live by the philosophy that there's no such thing as bad students, just bad instructors, and you've most likely had an instructor or trained in an association which doesn't know its arse from its elbow. However; for detailed information about the relevance of the sword within aikido, see my earlier posts on the subject.

    Now, as both an experienced aikidoka and kendoka, let me address your point on this subject; Muto no jutsu which is; techniques practiced against a sword is a last resort and something I'm all too aware of knowing the speed at which a sword can be moved however, after twenty years of aikido and the body movements which are now an integral part of my budo, my fellow kendoka (without aikido experience) are at a greater disadvantage, especially given the stipulate rules governing ashi-sabaki which exist, Assuming that Iím an aikidoka without experience of kendo, before I can be hit with shinai, the kendoka has to achieve issoku-iito-no ma-ai (see my previous post on that subject) and rest assured I would not be standing still whilst a kendoka attempted to achieve this positioning.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler
  10. Rock Ape is offline
    Rock Ape's Avatar

    Watch and Shoot !

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,125

    Posted On:
    1/01/2007 9:20am

    staff
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Lord
    I used to like Kata as well, but I think its pointless. How will 8 direction exercise be helpful in a fight?
    I guess you're referring to Happo giri?

    As with any specified weapons' drill it teaches several aspects of one's study...

    Accuracy, understanding, timing, kokyu (breathing), co-ordination, strength, posture, movement, discipline, awareness.

    The only tangible difference between those attributes (above) applied to aikido and say MMA/BJJ et al, is the era from which those attributes were borne. For aikido those are drawn from an era when people did in fact carry swords, spears etc. See my earlier comments/posts about aikido having an identity crisis.

    So saying "kata is pointless" is quite a generalised statement and one which only accounts for your own personal taste; which is perfectly understandable because we're all entitled to our opinions.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.