Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 4:51pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    As for everyone trashing Katas, I think there is a time or place for them
    One example given to me was If your rifle jams you perform a kata. Look to the bolt see what position it's in, if it's fully to the rear then your out of ammo, replace the mag. Fully forward and the bolt didn't properly pick up a round bla bla..
    Thatís a fucking good analogy mate.. I still remember IA drills for skill at arms, anti-ambush drills and marksmanship principles despite not now being in the Armed Forces, just shows how good repeated practice influences the long term memory if you do them enough to be instinctive.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 5:01pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    A short simple pattern with a purpose sure. If that was how Kata really was done it would be an even better analogy.
    In all honesty, pretty much all the kata I've ever learned is exactly that.

Fall-in, stand easy, stand ready, attention, open order right dress.

Aim, shoot, jam, fix, carry on shooting.

Sword out, stab, slash, big cut, sword away again.

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 5:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    Then you are lucky.
    I acknowledge that

~Ella Wheeler

Charlie Don't Surf

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 5:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Geez, are we going to get into the whole kata debate now? I'll step out on a limb here and say that kata has its purposes. Its a way to train by yourself without a partner. If done properly, you should also train the practical applications of the techniques with a partner (i.e. one, two and three step sparring routines), which then you apply in free sparring. Kata alone is BS, but as a part of well developed curriculum, I think it serves a valuable function.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 6:18pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=TEA]Bringing the French into this is not a good way to argue for the effectiveness of Aikido - unless you want to argue that Aikido has effective techniques for surrendering.[/quote
    I guess you had freedom toast for breakfast and freedom fries for lunch. The only reason I mentioned the French was to point out that there are reputable organizations that call themselves aikibudo, and are well known in Canada an all over Europe and recognized in Japan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 6:22pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humm
    1. I didn't state there wasn't any "aikido styles" Read my fucking posts more carefully.

2. Don't take what's on Wikipedia as cast in stone.

3. You make my point for me.

4. So fucking what

5. **** off
    Just rebutting your BS!

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 7:11pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by velomaster
    Just rebutting your BS!
    Well. I'm doing well for putting people on ignore lists.
    Last edited by Rock Ape; 1/07/2007 3:34pm at .

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 12:15pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mungkorn Dam
    On a purely physical level it is an art involving some throws and joint locks that are derived from Jujitsu and some throws and other techniques derived from Kenjutsu.
    In lay terms that's a very general description; more accurately the system consists of a very limited number of physical waza (core kihon) and many principles drawn primarily from Dai-to Ryu and classical buki waza gensoku.

In Dai-to ryu their first teaching "Ikkyo" 一教 consists of around 118 individual techniques making up the "Shoden" 初伝 entry-transmission of their syllabus. In aikido "ikkyo" is the first of six osae 押さえ pinning techniques each with their own specific names. (depending upon style these change slightly)

1. ude osae (ikkyo)
    2. kote mawashi (nikyo)
    3. kote hineri (sankyo)
    4. tekubi osae (yonkyo)
    5. ude nobashi (gokyo)
    6. hiji gaeshi (rokkyo)

In addition to the above aikido widely uses a further immobilisation katakateme (see earlier posted picture of Chiba K. Shihan for illustration) yet, the same waza in judo is entirely different.

The whole Dai-to Ryu syllabus (generally) exists as a response to a particular forms of attack hence, a very large number of techniques, Aikido on the other hand has a limited set of core kihon waza which then utilises a set of principles (physical and theoretical) to make those techniques fit many sets of circumstances; The problem however is those "circumstances" are koryu based.

Aikido focuses not on punching or kicking opponents
    Whilst it is very rare to see an aikidoka kick, any self respecting student does punch, here are some examples illustrating that atemi was (and still should be) integral to the art.

but rather on using their own energy to gain control of them or to throw them away from you. It is not a static art, but places great emphasis on motion and the dynamics of movement"
    Fair description but again the problem with the dynamics of aikido taiso s that is so heavily influenced by koryu methods (and most students fair to understand this) that, to attempt to apply those principles in a modern environment often results in failure of the technique.

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 1:34pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman140
    Yeah JohnnyC, but he was a spry guy for his age. But seriously. When I attacked my Aikido partner as a good Kenpo student would and should, overreaching and out of balance, she freaked and I knew I'd broken another unwritten Aikido rule. She wanted me to attack in perfect balance as with a sword in my hands.
    A perfect illustration of a student expecting koryu methodology in a gendai art.
    ..only people I know that attack that way are Aikido students, and isn't an attacking Aikido student a contradiction of terms.
    Not at all.

Aikido technique begins long before any form of physical contact is made. Ma 間 the distance between two people is a critical factor in obtaining strategic advantage, especially in a fight involving weapons such as the Japanese sword. - Remember those koryu influences I mentioned before creeping in again..

issoku-ito-no-ma-ai is the interval between two combatants where a further single advancing step would bring either (or both) in ideal range to achieve an attack. The phrase issoku ito no ma ai is primarily drawn from kendo (remember the sword influences aikido) however given what it actually means, it could just as easily refer to any fighting art.

Control of ma-ai 間合mutual distancing often results in advantage but, almost all classical budo requires opportunity (either created or accidental) for an attack to be successful thus, a swordsman for instance, might attempt to entice an attack by offering what might appear to be an accidental opening.. or in other words a "feint" thereby drawing his opponent into disadvantage... or (again) in other words, they've begun to "attack" their opponent by using distance, timing and perceived opportunity.

At a deeper level of thinking/understanding there exists go no sen / sen no sen / sensen no sen and these concepts deal specifically with the timing involved in dealing with conflict.

Go no sen
    An immediate and automatic response to an attack which exploits the movement/recovery of your attacker

Sen no sen
    You and your opponent begin to move simultaneously. Your awareness of his intention to attack allows you to attack just slightly faster, making your strike just before his.

Sen Sen No Sen
    In this situation both you and your opponent are ready and willing to attack. Your attack must be made first in a spilt second between the time your opponent mentally commits to the attack and the moment he begins his actual movement. His commitment to attack will prevent him responding with a defence.

~Ella Wheeler

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 5:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humm
    A perfect illustration of a student expecting koryu methodology in a gendai art.Not at all.

Aikido technique begins long before any form of physical contact is made. Ma 間 the distance between two people is a critical factor in obtaining strategic advantage, especially in a fight involving weapons such as the Japanese sword. - Remember those koryu influences I mentioned before creeping in again..

issoku-ito-no-ma-ai is the interval between two combatants where a further single advancing step would bring either (or both) in ideal range to achieve an attack. The phrase issoku ito no ma ai is primarily drawn from kendo (remember the sword influences aikido) however given what it actually means, it could just as easily refer to any fighting art.

Control of ma-ai 間合mutual distancing often results in advantage but, almost all classical budo requires opportunity (either created or accidental) for an attack to be successful thus, a swordsman for instance, might attempt to entice an attack by offering what might appear to be an accidental opening.. or in other words a "feint" thereby drawing his opponent into disadvantage... or (again) in other words, they've begun to "attack" their opponent by using distance, timing and perceived opportunity.

At a deeper level of thinking/understanding there exists go no sen / sen no sen / sensen no sen and these concepts deal specifically with the timing involved in dealing with conflict.

Go no sen
    An immediate and automatic response to an attack which exploits the movement/recovery of your attacker

Sen no sen
    You and your opponent begin to move simultaneously. Your awareness of his intention to attack allows you to attack just slightly faster, making your strike just before his.

Sen Sen No Sen
    In this situation both you and your opponent are ready and willing to attack. Your attack must be made first in a spilt second between the time your opponent mentally commits to the attack and the moment he begins his actual movement. His commitment to attack will prevent him responding with a defence.

Take that **** to the bank beatttcchh!!!