Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 9:33am

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cadu BJJ - Perth Western Australia

I have taken 3 months off from training under Doctors orders. Now I'm ready to get back into it.

I was previously training with Gracie Barra here in Perth. I think the are very good. Class is run by Brown Belt. My only complaint is that when I signed up I was under the impression that there would be more no-gi and MMA training (almost non-existent) but the normal BJJ seems to be very good. It's also quite a trip from my house.

I have seen that there is Cadu BJJ next to my work. Does anyone on here know anything about them?

http://www.bjjperth.com/cadujiujitsu/
    Last edited by Mayhem; 12/26/2006 9:35am at .

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I've seen that most Gracie related schools are pretty dead set on the hole Gi thing. They may have specific MMA classes where they do no-gi grappling. Unfortunately, that's not likely. The best advice would be to go down there and check it out. Also see how many days of no-gi/MMA style grapping and training they do. If it's up to snuff then have at it and like Phrost or any of the staff and members here would say, write a dojo review. Another thing you can do, which I do cause it's pretty much all gi were I'm at, is choose not to use it. Don't get into the habit of using it to hold, grip, set up moves, etc. I won't let this get into a gi vs no-gi thread. Also, you can always create your own no-gi grappling club.

Posted On:
    12/27/2006 10:27am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's with the "professor" titles?

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    12/27/2006 11:06am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    Yeah, I've seen that most Gracie related schools are pretty dead set on the hole Gi thing. They may have specific MMA classes where they do no-gi grappling. Unfortunately, that's not likely. The best advice would be to go down there and check it out. Also see how many days of no-gi/MMA style grapping and training they do. If it's up to snuff then have at it and like Phrost or any of the staff and members here would say, write a dojo review. Another thing you can do, which I do cause it's pretty much all gi were I'm at, is choose not to use it. Don't get into the habit of using it to hold, grip, set up moves, etc. I won't let this get into a gi vs no-gi thread. Also, you can always create your own no-gi grappling club.
    I perfer to wear a gi, and grapple against people not wearing a gi. They use it against me, so I have to be very exact in my technqiue, yet I can't use it against them.

When I do go nogi, everything seems a lot easier.

Posted On:
    12/27/2006 11:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I perfer to wear a gi, and grapple against people not wearing a gi. They use it against me, so I have to be very exact in my technqiue, yet I can't use it against them.

When I do go nogi, everything seems a lot easier.
    I've actually heard of Babaloo(sp?) doing the same thing for training with his fights. It helps him work on dealing with someone have a lot of control over you while you don't have the same amount of control over them. I've actually worked out a lot like that in class without thinking about it. We will get new people in or those who have been a while who don't have a gi and I will have mine. While we spar, they have all the grips and chokes and whatnot and I have to use primarily no-gi techniques, which is what I use anyways. It may have actually helped me without even realizing it. Thanks for the input.

Posted On:
    12/27/2006 11:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    What's with the "professor" titles?
    http://www.gracie.com/riofed/beltranking.html

On this site, they say that anything between 2nd degree black and 6th degree black gives you the title of professor. I'm not sure how up to date this site is but it seems to follow the titles that some of the other BJJ black belts I've heard., i.e. PROFESSOR Pedro Sauer, 6th degree black belt:

Here's an interesting find about the time in rank to be recognized by the International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation.

http://www.ibjjf.org/graduation.htm

Posted On:
    12/27/2006 5:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I havn't trained with cadu but have heard some good things. Wrestled one of his students at the last no-gi comp he was pretty good beat me on points. dont know how much no-gi and mma they do.

Last edited by ground_fighter; 12/27/2006 5:50pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2006 9:06pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by datdamnmachine
    http://www.gracie.com/riofed/beltranking.html

On this site, they say that anything between 2nd degree black and 6th degree black gives you the title of professor. I'm not sure how up to date this site is but it seems to follow the titles that some of the other BJJ black belts I've heard., i.e. PROFESSOR Pedro Sauer, 6th degree black belt:

Here's an interesting find about the time in rank to be recognized by the International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation.

http://www.ibjjf.org/graduation.htm
    As I recall, everyone from primary school teachers to university lecturers are referred to as "Professor" in Brazilian Portuguese. As such, it doesn't really have the same cultural connotation as it does in an English speaking society, where it refers to the Ph.D bearing head of a University department/faculty.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2006 8:16am

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Professor in Portugese literally translates to 'Teacher'.

I'm not so concerned about the Vale Tudo / No-Gi aspect (although it would be nice) however it's much closer to where I live and if I'm not getting Vale Tudo / No-Gi at the place I have been training at I may as well train somewhere I can walk to.