Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/25/2006 1:15am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

John's Taekwondo School in Toronto

hey dudes, i'm new here and i'm just dowant to get some info on other people who went to this place.

10 years ago, I took Taekwondo from John's cause my mom found an ad for the place and I was curious about MA. btw, I was about 13 years old at the time and I didn't know much about martial arts except that it looked "cool." (thanks to mainstream media) Back then, the classes had about 15-20 people,gradings almost every month and I managed to become a green belt a little over half a year. There were a lot of kids younger than me who were red or black belts too.

The school was pretty popular since the ads were everywhere (ie. telephone poles, newspapers and tv commercials) and once in a while, reporters came and my sensei would show off to the camera/reporters by acting all tough to the camera and make us do more pushups than the usual amount. He would also spew the same ol' rhetoric about discipline and punish people when doing the techniques incorrectly rather than like explaining why certain techniques should be done in certain ways.

now, my questions are: does this look like a McDojang scenario? And again, did anyone go to this place?

check out his website. http://www.johnstaekwondo.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2006 1:30am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's tough to tell. It's all in the teaching. I mean, did you learn how to fight or did you drill? The McDojo part would be the fact that there are red/black belts less than 13 years old, but I mean some schools do **** to bring in money, it's a fact of life.

You need to determine if the teaching was effective or not.

Edit: I also just noticed that apparently the only reasons for taking Taekwondo at this school are to improve your attention span and attain "good manners."
    Last edited by mudo; 12/25/2006 1:32am at .

ARGUMENTUM AD LATINUM DICTIONAIRUM

Posted On:
    12/25/2006 1:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Argumenta ad Rem

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any other reason?

Aside from the Hot Korean Chicks [Tm.--Ed.]?

--J.D.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2006 1:54am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn... you got me there.

Posted On:
    12/25/2006 8:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mudo
    It's tough to tell. It's all in the teaching. I mean, did you learn how to fight or did you drill? The McDojo part would be the fact that there are red/black belts less than 13 years old, but I mean some schools do **** to bring in money, it's a fact of life.

You need to determine if the teaching was effective or not.

Edit: I also just noticed that apparently the only reasons for taking Taekwondo at this school are to improve your attention span and attain "good manners."
    hmm...well I rememebered that we kept doing drills most of the time. The sensei didn't really explain why this and that were effective or enhanced our (or at least my) learning.