Posted On:
    12/28/2006 5:58pm

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabster the Bad Elf
    Taken from your site:

Some facts about Bok-Fu-Do:
    • The “Do” in the words “Bok-Fu-Do” was officially added in 1994 when Lee became a Grandmaster and Bok-Fu-Do was recognized internationally as a system of Chinese martial arts.

So was the Do for the 10th degree or was the Do for the International Recognition? Or are the two the same thing because we all know Al is pretty much international - well, he is a big guy.

Thank you for the question. It was both, actually. In addition, he had been urged by GM Tracy, GM Huang and General Wu (then VP of the ICKF in the ROC) that he add the "Do" because of the success of his students in national and international competition. Because of that success, it went from a "style" to a "system".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2006 6:03pm

Style: Bok Fu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "Do" came from the international recognition, but happened to coincide with his receiving his 10th degree. Further down the page you referenced, he explains in a bit more detail.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/28/2006 6:41pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey guys

Let's NOT get in line to mock the first paragraph and drive him away. We can mock the first paragraph after we hear the whole sordid story.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 9:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this a Diary type thread? Anything with the phrase, "the whole sordid story" has got to be amusing on some level...

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 3:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get the impression that every pikey MA School opened in America with a (probably) fat white Grandmaster with a 10th Dan always originates from Ed Parker's Karate.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    12/29/2006 4:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it might not originate with Parker kenpo, but Parker kenpo is probably somewhere in the background.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 3:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ru Klas
    Say my wife and I have quadruplets who are all male and are identical in every way. At age 18 they all simultaneously enroll each in a different martial arts school for exaclty 12 months.

One does BJJ
    One does TKD
    One does Aikido
    One does MMA

Are you saying that they will all be equals? That none of the above will produce better quality fighters over the other?

I always love these "What if stories" What if this or what if that. In reallity there are no two people a like. Even identicle twins have there differences. But no I am not saying that they will all be equals. Apparently I did not clarify myself enough and probably wont this time either. There is more to the equation than just what martial arts you take or what your specific amount of NATURAL TALENT is. The quality of instruction is a huge factor also.

Now for my question, are you telling me that you truely believe that just because a person takes a certain type of fighting style that they are going to be a better fighter?

Same question back at ya. Me and my wife have quadruplets and they are exactly the same in every aspect. We have had them study in different styles since they were children, lets say since 10 years old. They are now 22 years old. That is 12 years of studying.

One does TKD
    One does Aikido
    One does BJJ
    One does MMA

Are you actually telling me one is going to be able to dominate, solely on what style of Martial arts he has taken?
    If you cant see that each child will have their own strenghths and weaknesses depending on what style they take I do not know what to tell ya.

My main point is that it is not guaranteed that a person will be the best fighter in the world, solely based on what style of fighting he has taken. More enters into this equation than that. I am sure that there are those who are prejudiced to thinking that their style is the one and only best style in the world, but sorry I dont see it that way. No matter how good a person gets there may always be some one out there that can beat them, regardless of style. Some are just born with more talen, are younger, faster, stronger, and on and on.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 3:29am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backdraft
    No, all martial arts are NOT equal. It is NOT only the person. There ARE styles that suck donkey dick. Search for Matt Thornton, and learn something.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Here is a perfect example of prejudicial judgment. You think that a style sucks just because you choose not to like it. All styles have their strengths and weaknesses. What works for one person may not work for another. I do agree that it is not just the person that makes the whole of the equation, but what they put into it, the quality of instruction, their level of natural born talent, how smart they are, how strong they are, how fast they are and so on and so forth.

There is no way that a persons fighting skill is soley dependent on what style of martial arts he takes.

I am sure that there is some one from BJJ that can win a fight against some one from TKD and vice versa. My point is: You are not going to win a fight based soley on what style of martial arts you take. They all have the potential to turn you into a great fighter based on what you put into it and get out of it and your level of natural ability.

I am not sure who Matt Thornton is, but if he teaches that his style is the one and only style, then he is another prime example of Bullshido.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 3:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Wood
    you know, I had the pleasure of walking by West Wind on my way over to a friend's while in Berkeley recently and was tempted to step inside after the all the fun Bullshido has had at their expense...

then I saw the guy in (I KID YOU NOT) some funky silk gi thing with a DRESS SHIRT AND TIE ON UNDER IT - I almost died laughing - I think he was offended but I am not a small man so obviously he repressed the urge to say anything...
    Dude stay away from that place, they are a joke now. The funny silk gi was probably his pajamas. This is just another example of them turning into a facade, they paint this picture of what they are, but once you get into their system it is not what they claim. A bunch of want to be "War Gods". I am serious, they actually told us instructors that our students should look at us with reverence, like we were "War Gods". The place is not what it used to be.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2006 3:43am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MacWombat
    Every system is good in its own aspects.... Hmmm, I guess aikido is good if its aspect is sucking. Also stop using nonstandard text. It doesn't make you an individual, it makes you annoying.
    You make fun of my font/color, this coming from a person who has a wombat for a symbol. Besides the font/color I choose does not individualize me, any more than looking at your anoying wombat makes you an idividual.

Actually Aikido is a pretty good system, sorry you dont like it or that it did not work for you.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast