Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 9:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    Change your premise to 'no touch KO' and I'll agree. There's always the chance for a lucky one touch KO...or brachial stun.

I believe your point is that some of Ueshiba's early students don't look like his latter students, no? I studied Aikido in high school from a guy I suspect had more experience in aiki-jutsu (I think aikido was a more marketable name) - the movements started large for beginners, but students with any rank were supposed to be able to use much smaller, more intense movements. It was still LARPing, but there was more violence than I've seen in the other aikido schools/clubs I've visited (and then fled from).
    On the KO issue... I would love to concede this point but I just don't know eiither way as the only one touch KO techniques I have had applied to me came from a hard strike more than a touch per se. Not knocking Dillman so much as saying this is his own thing. But what I do know is that a good trained Shure Te karate man does not use, or need these applications to fight with the art. I know because I have a secnd degree BB and about 12 years experience in a fighting club. What bugs the **** out of me is that when we fought we grabbed, we grappled, we hit things with all parts of the body... stuff you do not see in Karate anymore, even the kumite karate people do not grab the gi much. It was a complete fighting art.

Yes, smaller circles and movements. Also depending on the tradition atemi Waza.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    1/14/2007 9:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the KO issue... I would love to concede this point but I just don't know eiither way as the only one touch KO techniques I have had applied to me came from a hard strike more than a touch per se.
    I misunderstood your original post - I agree. I was thinking of 'one touch' as 'one contact/strike.'

Dillman is a goddam delusional with both his 'no touch' and 'light touch' KOs.

So...you study ninjitsu?
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 11:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost
    I misunderstood your original post - I agree. I was thinking of 'one touch' as 'one contact/strike.'

Dillman is a goddam delusional with both his 'no touch' and 'light touch' KOs.

So...you study ninjitsu?
    I am probably more of a martial arts gypsy at this point. I was in the Bujinkan officially for about 12 years. More because of the teachers I had than the allegiance to the Buj per se. The Bujinkan center here in San FRancisco still has good seminars and I am in good standing but I don't consider myself a member.

I also study with a guy on the opposite coast who is old school.... The training is very physical and tough. I only get across the country occasionally though. Richard is very good, it is a loaded question to ask his style... He hates the Buj as much as most guys on this board haha. He does AikiJutsu and I older Kenpo type stuff I guess. I of course did the Okinawan Karate for many years and some Ju Jutsu stuff... thats about it.

I teach a small group out here and try to keep a balance. The Bujinkan is good to me because it is like the Diato Ryu... a big clearinghouse, a bazaar with many types of training available. Despite the quality control and rank inflation there are Ninjers that roll for real, it just takes a while to find them because they tend to avoid the Buj BS that people are put off by. At my age of 42 I only have maybe 10 more years of being dipped hard anyhow!! I might have to retire to the yellow bamboo fields after that :sleepy5:

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 12:05pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yellow Bamboo - the MA equivalent of a horse getting sent to the glue factory...
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 3:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bok Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aight. This is one of few West Wind reps on this forum, just here to clear the air.

I agree with some of your guys' points about my school and disagree too.

Good:
    -Good pace of learning. This isn't a all-form based system where your average Joe can roll up and get his black belt in 4 years max. Our minimum time of someone earning their black belt is 4 years, but she was a prodigy. (and is crazy as hell, too) This is a major problem in MA in the united States. United Statesians always want a lot, really fast. So, we sign up for MMA classes, where after only one month of training, you can go out and beat someone up. I liked the days where the best way to win a fight was no not get into it (That Bruce Lee "fightin without fightin). Instead, I go around my school with hella dudes runnin up thinkin they on some K-1, Pride UFC ****. I could scrape them, but I just laugh and play that **** off.
    - Fun. My instructor is one of my favorite people at Dojo because he isn't all about teachin me Zen **** on the weekly and meditation. (I can do that on my own. I'm Buddhist) He's funny, but also knows how to be serious about the art.
    - Cheap. This one is a bit shaky. I pay 100 dollars a month, which is the bare minimum and i get a great MA education. As well as as many group classes i can go to and 4 private lessons a month. That's a pretty raw deal. I went to another dojo before which only supplied groups lessons and my training went much slower because of the division of attention the sifu paid to each student.
    - Reachable. (i know theres a word that means that, but i'm pretty tired.) I live in Berkeley and West Wind is real easy to get to.
    - Open hella early and late. (9am-9pm every day) Not too many dojos can say that. The head instructor is there all the time as well.
    - Personal: I know that I could come to anyone of my teachers with a problem in my life and they would sit down and talk to me about it. From break-ups to deaths they are there.

Bad/Ugly: (I admit West Wind has its faults, but what school doesn't)
    - major identity issues: I got really scared when one of the teachers (white boy) told me: "I was born to to be asian.) "WTF?" I agree that seeing white people, or any race of people (except some asia nationalities) rockin' northern-style Gi tops and spouting of Japanese, Chinese and Thai like they know that **** natively really disturbs me. I'm Native American and culturally Black, so it pains me to see strong Black, Latino, Native American and even white people shedding their heritage for another.
    - Price/Money: I hate it when sifu comes up to me buggin me about money. It ain't no buddhist temple and as a Buddhist who treats martial arts like my religion, it sucks to see one of my teachers talk about honor and all this tradition and then bounce out in a sick whip and a two-piece suit.

Those are my main appreciation and conflicts with West Wind.

On the subject of Style v. Individual:
    It really depends on the individual (how much they train, spirit, physical ability).
    Physical ability: A large grappler (JJ lets say) fights a smaller Wing Chun artist. Studying for the same amount of time. Equal amounts of training time. Big grappler has a better chance of winning.
    - Turn the tables. Big Wing Chun, Small Grappler. Same length of study. Same amount of time put into extra training. Big WC wins. Why? Size, not style. Sheer size.
    Spirit/ Intensity/ Love for the art: Two MAs, same size, different styles, same amount of extra training. During a sparring match, one guy just goes ballistic and scrapes the other fool. Why? He had a crazy drive to beat that other dude down, despite the punishment he took.
    Training time: Two people, different styles, same amount of study time, but one trains harder and longer than the other. Who wins? Guy who trained more. Why? He's trained enough to be comfortable with hand and foot technique than his/her opponent.

Every style is like a snowflake: You may see one snowflake that looks ill, but it's all in the eye of the beholder.

(Stop hatin' on West Wind. We are far from a McDojo. To go see a McDojo, look at those commercialized MMA studios that try to pump out ground and pound bulls rather than actual martial artists. That's some Bullshido.)

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 4:35am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    first of all, stop casting necromancy spells on every west wind school thread. its been punked. west wind is ****, there is no debate here, it is a mcdojo of the highest order that churns out bullshido. you guys dont even fucking touch each other when you spar. get over it. second, your subject vs individual thing is total ****. i would take pretty much anyone trained in grappling over someone trained in a standup style for an equal amount of time. go watch the first few UFCs to understand why, and do it without using the bitch out excuse of "oh but its not real, there would be glass and lava, and 50 friends armed with bats, etc etc"

nobody in mma goes out and fights after a month. at least, nobody who wins. MMA style training, or boxing or muay thai or any art where you actually hit each other lets people know EXACTLY where they stand in regard to their skill. **** like west wind where people don't even hit each other does not. there are far more arrogant morons produced by that kind of training where they never actually know what its like to get cracked in the jaw than by MMA training.

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 9:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as a Buddhist who treats martial arts like my religion,
    That explains quite a bit.

To go see a McDojo, look at those commercialized MMA studios that try to pump out ground and pound bulls rather than actual martial artists. That's some Bullshido.
    Learning how to fight = martial arts. Everything else = fluff.
    It's been said before, but it's worth repeating. Fighting doens't have to be the ONLY thing you learn at your MA school, but it better be the single largest chunk of curriculum.

Size, not style. Sheer size.
    Please review UFC 1. Review any fights that Akebono, a sumo wrestler, lost; I don't believe he was smaller than anyone he ever fought (in MMA), but maybe someone here can correct me.
    Here's a link to the video clip:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+akebono&hl=en

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 1:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bok Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alex, go back to tending your Sheep and working for Lord of the Rings. You don't know a damn thing.

Forget you, nuck. I challenge you to come to Berkeley from your little suburb (I know you stay in Danville/ Blackhawk) and try to scrape me. SEE ME, PUNK.

Hit me up to set up a time and place in Berkeley: Tef_Rimac@hotmail.com
    Talk **** after you fight me.

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 1:21am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tef
    Alex, go back to tending your Sheep and working for Lord of the Rings. You don't know a damn thing.

Forget you, nuck. I challenge you to come to Berkeley from your little suburb (I know you stay in Danville/ Blackhawk) and try to scrape me. SEE ME, PUNK.

Based on previous bad experiences with people who issue challenges, the rule used at Bullshido is that the challenger travels to the person he challenged.

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    2/18/2007 1:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tef

Is calling someone a punk really used as an insult these days. Please issue your challenges with more style.

You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 LastLast