• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    12/24/2006 8:34am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Box v Pause squats

They are both very similar exercises but which do you prefer? If you dont know, box squats are where you squat down onto a box and come to a complete stop. Then come up and repeat. Pause squat are similar but you let the bar rest on pins at the bottom instead of sitting down. Any suggestions?

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    12/24/2006 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't pause squats where you "pause" on the bottom? Squat down, stay there for a few seconds, then squat up. I don't think you let the bar rest on the pins.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't see the point. Normal squats FTW.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 5:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Don't see the point. Normal squats FTW.
    Aye, what are the benefits of pause or bos squats that you can't get for the old-fashioned squats.

What's with people and their need for gimmicks?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 6:17pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Box squats are actually a pretty great training tool for people trying to learn form or improve the depth of their squats. Considering that it's rare for me to see people even coming close to parallel (at commercial gyms), they're a good idea. The folks at Westside are also big advocates of them, which should pretty much be enough for anyone.

Pause squats (letting the bar rest on pins are just one variation) allow you to practice exploding from a stand-still. This type of approach -- which is not limited to squats -- is not only excellent for athletes who need to call on rapid acceleration, it's also a handy tool for changing things on a neurological level and avoiding over-training in general.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 9:40pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ummm, I dont think Im actualy doing box squats now that Ive read more about them.

I am squatting now though but Im using a bench. I put the bench under me and when my ass touches it Im past parellel. I like this because now I know how far to go down and it keeps my form good. It also helps me to not bonce the bar. I keep a constant depth each time I squat.

So Im just doing a regulat squat and using the bench as a point of reference. I dont sit on the box I just touch it with my ass, then stop for a second and go up just like a normal squat.

Posted On:
    12/27/2006 7:19am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    Ummm, I dont think Im actualy doing box squats now that Ive read more about them.

I am squatting now though but Im using a bench. I put the bench under me and when my ass touches it Im past parellel. I like this because now I know how far to go down and it keeps my form good. It also helps me to not bonce the bar. I keep a constant depth each time I squat.

So Im just doing a regulat squat and using the bench as a point of reference. I dont sit on the box I just touch it with my ass, then stop for a second and go up just like a normal squat.
    Now that I think is reasonable.

But still I don't see the point of box squats and/or pause squats.

My guess is most people would have to go through a lot of years of training before they need them.

And by need them I mean get a benefit from them they can't get from regular squats.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/27/2006 7:47am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186

Ass to grass. By shortening the movement, you're not getting the full benifit of squatting. You may have to go lighter until you're used to the full range of motion, but that's fine. Remember, you're not trying to squat more. You're trying to get stronger by squatting.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...FullSquat.html

If you want to work your back harder, deads and good mornings would be cool. Also without nutriding too much, you should buy "Starting Strength". It's worth it.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/27/2006 9:23am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Now that I think is reasonable.

My guess is most people would have to go through a lot of years of training before they need them.

And by need them I mean get a benefit from them they can't get from regular squats.
    Wrong, jerk.

Posted On:
    12/27/2006 9:58am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    Wrong, jerk.
    Mmm... no.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast