Sponsored Links Spacer Image

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 7:24am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NexNoxNuxNixNax, wasn't Pat willing to swallow? Was that what ruined your otherwise perfect relationship?
    And that he failed your expectations and didn't post "I love you Nex" on his webforum?
    I can't see any other reason for you to do what you did in this thread...
    Tonuzaba
    Last edited by Tonuzaba; 12/31/2006 7:31am at .

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 8:49am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NexNoxNoctus
    I live in the HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality) in Nova Scotia (Canada), and have recently discovered there are more than 100 dojos/martial arts "gyms" within the HRM. That's pretty impressive considering there are only about 300,000 in the HRM, on average. At any rate, I've discovered most of them to be pretty decent (for their purpose), and actually quite legit.

There is, however, one dojo to avoid
    Let’s look at the math for a second.

In a population of 300.000 you have 100 martial arts dojo/gyms and ONLY 1 which you consider bogus ? …and the purpose of presenting that information here was to what... alert someone in your own tiny community that they have a 1 in 100 chance of wasting their time ?

Time for you to get out a bit more.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 9:01am

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humm
    Let’s look at the math for a second.

In a population of 300.000 you have 100 martial arts dojo/gyms and ONLY 1 which you consider bogus ? …and the purpose of presenting that information here was to what... alert someone in your own tiny community that they have a 1 in 100 chance of wasting their time ?

Time for you to get out a bit more.
    Hey, don't make light of it! I was this close to joining a chinese Kempo academy, which would have given me a 25% chance to end up with a delusional nutcase. (actually I think the odds would be closer to 100% ; )

Seriously folks, I think I can find at least ONE other BS academy in the HRM. It's my new life-goal, replacing my old one (getting my bachelor's degree).
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 1:38pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Hey, don't make light of it! I was this close to joining a chinese Kempo academy, which would have given me a 25% chance to end up with a delusional nutcase. (actually I think the odds would be closer to 100% ; )

Seriously folks, I think I can find at least ONE other BS academy in the HRM. It's my new life-goal, replacing my old one (getting my bachelor's degree).
    Meh? I night out of drinking in Halifax will probably give you a new appreciation for fighting arts that actually work and penicillin. Hell you can go to the Liquor Doom and accomplish both at the same time.

TKD

PS - Good to see the rest of Doc's zombies are arriving on this thread although as usual we've been lured with the promise of brains only to find ourselves going hungry again.....

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 1:43pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Meh? I night out of drinking in Halifax will probably give you a new appreciation for fighting arts that actually work and penicillin. Hell you can go to the Liquor Doom and accomplish both at the same time.
    Sounds like you've been here before ;)

The north side at night is a great place to try out multiple-attacker defense... so lots of places in Halifax only teach styles that work against several people (but not one) like Kung-Fu, TKD, Aikido? etc.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 2:23pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido FTW!

My favourite place is actual the Yacht Club in Chester, but that's just how I roll.....

TKD

THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

"Ladies and gentlemen, the pilot has instructed everyone to sit the **** down and shut the **** up." Henry Rollins

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 3:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD Black Belt
    Aikido FTW!

My favourite place is actual the Yacht Club in Chester, but that's just how I roll.....

TKD
    Tae Kwon Do and Aikido... dude are you in therapy ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 3:31pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humm
    Tae Kwon Do and Aikido... dude are you in therapy ?
    No, that's the new MMA style they are teaching in Halifax now. The punching techniques of TKD couple with the wrist lock takedowns of Aikido are coming to a cage near you!
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 5:05pm

Style: kb, tapping, jjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    Sounds like you've been here before ;)

The north side at night is a great place to try out multiple-attacker defense... so lots of places in Halifax only teach styles that work against several people (but not one) like Kung-Fu, TKD, Aikido? etc.
    I train realistically and with aliveness for the Halifax streets: I regularly get a group of 20 or so tweenage hoodrats to swarm me with 2x4's. I spend a lot of time in the hospital with a concussion, but I know that if it happens for real I'll be prepared (to spend more time in the hospital with a concussion).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2006 5:12pm

Style: kb, tapping, jjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    No, that's the new MMA style they are teaching in Halifax now. The punching techniques of TKD couple with the wrist lock takedowns of Aikido are coming to a cage near you!
    Cage? Hold on, dere, buddy, we do that **** on an octagonal barge in the middle of the harbour. Yarrrr!!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast