Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 4:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wheelers

MrGalt I was not referring to your review as glowing, I was referring to the sub post I found on your review by unoitwks although I understand why you thought I was referring to you because this is your post.

"I am, however, troubled by your notion that touch-stop karate tournaments somehow resemble "the real world" or that in "the real world" aggression isn't exactly what one needs to prevail."

I believe there is a time, and place for everything including aggression. I don't believe a touch-stop tournament resembles the street, what I was referring to was the general attitude shown by this school at the tournament, and the lack of self control shown to all of the competitors.

In the real world when aggression is deserved it should be used, but to purposely injure a 6 yr old for a plastic trophy at the local tournament that's uncalled for.

BTW; The girl that was injured was not my child I just happened to be there when the instructor said what he did to his student, and have also witnessed them do this before.

I would send my child to that school in Japan too if I could.
    Last edited by hamilton01; 3/10/2013 4:23pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 4:39pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hamilton01 View Post
    MrGalt I was not referring to your review as glowing, I was referring to the sub post I found on your review by unoitwks although I understand why you thought I was referring to you because this is your post.

"I am, however, troubled by your notion that touch-stop karate tournaments somehow resemble "the real world" or that in "the real world" aggression isn't exactly what one needs to prevail."

I believe there is a time, and place for everything including aggression. I don't believe a touch-stop tournament resembles the street, what I was referring to was the general attitude shown by this school at the tournament, and the lack of self control shown to all of the competitors.

In the real world when aggression is deserved it should be used, but to purposely injure a 6 yr old for a plastic trophy at the local tournament that's uncalled for.

BTW; The girl that was injured was not my child I just happened to be there when the instructor said what he did to his student, and have also witnessed them do this before.

I would send my child to that school in Japan too if I could.
    In defense of Wheeler's, I have seen something like what you mean and, having helped coach kids, I will say one thing about it. Often when a kid accidentally hurts another kid in sparring, it can rattle his confidence and cause him to be so hesitant when his opponent gets back up, he loses the match or even gets hurt by an opponent who is now angry at having been hurt. Telling the kid, "Hey, don't let it shake you, keep playing the way you've been playing and let this go," isn't a bad coaching technique.

Couple that with Hanlon's Razor, "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately described by incompetence," and is it just possible that maybe what you saw wasn't a gang of 7 year old karate thugs going Cobra Kai on their opponents but coaches encouraging kids without much in the way of coordination not to lose confidence? I'm not asking you to agree, just asking you to accept that what we see and what happens aren't always in perfect harmony.

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 4:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt View Post
    In defense of Wheeler's, I have seen something like what you mean and, having helped coach kids, I will say one thing about it. Often when a kid accidentally hurts another kid in sparring, it can rattle his confidence and cause him to be so hesitant when his opponent gets back up, he loses the match or even gets hurt by an opponent who is now angry at having been hurt. Telling the kid, "Hey, don't let it shake you, keep playing the way you've been playing and let this go," isn't a bad coaching technique.

Couple that with Hanlon's Razor, "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately described by incompetence," and is it just possible that maybe what you saw wasn't a gang of 7 year old karate thugs going Cobra Kai on their opponents but coaches encouraging kids without much in the way of coordination not to lose confidence? I'm not asking you to agree, just asking you to accept that what we see and what happens aren't always in perfect harmony.

I have seen that happen before at our school that makes perfect sense I understand exactly what you mean. Had this been the first time I had seen this happen from that school I wouldn't have wrote this review. However, this is the third tournament I have seen this exact thing happen at from that school.

Last year they did it with flying kicks to the face to 3 kids in a row, two of them were from our school, all three were carried out by their parents. When the fourth kid came up against their kid his instructor told him as soon as the kid jumps to side kick him in the stomach.

The kid did just that, and the kid from Wheelers vomited all over the ring. Needless to say he didn't throw any flying kicks this yr.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123