Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 4:19am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nor Cal Matt Thornton Seminar: January 13-14

Did some searching and couldn't find out if this had already been posted or if we have a specific place to announce seminars. Anyway I recently received this email and wanted to share:

We are happy to announce that we are hosting Matt Thornton, SBGi
    president for a seminar again this year. We are expecting many
    participants so we recommend early registration.

MIXED MARTIAL ARTS SEMINAR Aliveness and Functional Self-Defense
    Saturday: Jan 13
    Sunday: Jan 14
    11 a.m. 5 p.m. w/Lunch Break

Motion, Timing, Progressive Resistance
    One central concept that makes martial arts work
    A healthier way to train

Featuring: Matt Thornton
    President, Straight Blast Gym International
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt (Machado)

Pre-Register (limited space available, an additional $10 will be
    charged at the door)
    Both Days: $140, SBGi/ModCom members $120
    One Day: $100, SBGi/ModCom Members $80

This intensive seminar will encompass fundamental skills that will
    benefit beginners as well as experienced athletes. The seminar will
    cover Ground (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu), Stand-Up (Boxing, Kickboxing),
    Clinch (Wrestling, Muay Thai), and combine those aspects
    (Comprehensive Self-Defense, Vale Tudo, Mixed Martial Arts).

"The SBGi is about People, and our goal is to offer the cutting edge
    in self-defense, combat athletics, fitness, and personal growth, to
    every type of human body that walks through our door."

For more information about MODCOM-MMA, SBGi, their philosophy and
    training methods, check out: www.moderncombatives.com and
    www.straightblastgym.com
    MODCOM-MMA is an awesome gym and a great place to train. I've gone there several times for seminars and throwdowns and the people have always been very polite and helpful.

Thornton did a seminar there two years ago and bunyip (who trains at MODCOM) wrote a review in this thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9763
    Last edited by Punisher; 12/23/2006 3:32am at .

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 8:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would be cool if someone could get some aliveness quotes and stuff.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 1:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going. I'll write a review. From reading bunyip's post there will be ample time to shoot the **** and ask questions. If anyone has anything specific they want me to ask, I'll do it.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 2:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Giant. He's like 6' 4" or something. One of my black belts who is of similar height is really interested to learn grappling from someone who knows what it's like to be a big man.

The other three are Lily, Alan, and Jude. They're not exactly tall, but they're not pygmys either.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 2:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, yeah. But I was being serious. I sold my top instructor on going to the seminar simply on the fact that Matt is the same size as him and can actually do BJJ.

I sent you a PM BTW. Read it and get back to me.

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 4:51pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask him if he thinks it's possible to cross-train in Aikido/wingchun/ninjitsu/shaolin hedgehog style, in order to learn principles and concepts which integrate into a sport-based foundation.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 2:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Ask him if he thinks it's possible to cross-train in Aikido/wingchun/ninjitsu/shaolin hedgehog style, in order to learn principles and concepts which integrate into a sport-based foundation.
    That's a great question, one I don't know he has ever been asked. I never met Matt perosnally, but from watching some videos on the net and reading some of stuff he's put out I know he has been asked similar questions.

Matt apparently often gets asked, "Why do I have to train MMA (aka BJJ+Muay Thai+Wrestling)? Why can't I simply train my aikido/wingchun/ninjitsu/shaolin hedgehog style with aliveness?"

From what I gather Matt's answer is that if you started training those arts in a truely alive manner, most of the techniques in those arts wouldn't work at all.

As people found better ways of resisting/countering the remaining techniques, new improved technqiues would be developed. The best solution to a counter, is not a counter to the counter, it is a improved technique that is harder to counter in the first place. What you would be left with after a long process of weeding out inferior techniques and replacing them with better ones, would be something that much more closely resembles BJJ, MT, or Wrestling than whatever you originally started with.

For example, Matt used to do JKD. That is where the name "Straight Blast Gym' comes from. He used to teach the trapping techniques found in Wing Chun other forms of kung fu. Once he started training with aliveness he found clinching techniques from Greco-Roman wrestling served the same purpose as the kung fu trappping techniques, but were much more effective and harder to counter. Bye-bye trapping techniques.

My guess that his answer to your question about priniciples and concepts will be there aren't any worthwhile priniciples and concepts found in non-alive arts that aren't already in sports based, alive arts.

If an art does not train in an alive matter they have no away to test and validate their concepts and principals, so there is likely to be as much bullishit included as quality, probably more. Once again you need aliveness to weed the bullshit out.

What you are left with once you are done, is the stuff you would have already had if you started training in an alive manner in the very first place.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher
    That's a great question, one I don't know he has ever been asked. I never met Matt perosnally, but from watching some videos on the net and reading some of stuff he's put out I know he has been asked similar questions.

Matt apparently often gets asked, "Why do I have to train MMA (aka BJJ+Muay Thai+Wrestling)? Why can't I simply train my aikido/wingchun/ninjitsu/shaolin hedgehog style with aliveness?"

From what I gather Matt's answer is that if you started training those arts in a truely alive manner, most of the techniques in those arts wouldn't work at all.

As people found better ways of resisting/countering the remaining techniques, new improved technqiues would be developed. The best solution to a counter, is not a counter to the counter, it is a improved technique that is harder to counter in the first place. What you would be left with after a long process of weeding out inferior techniques and replacing them with better ones, would be something that much more closely resembles BJJ, MT, or Wrestling than whatever you originally started with.

For example, Matt used to do JKD. That is where the name "Straight Blast Gym' comes from. He used to teach the trapping techniques found in Wing Chun other forms of kung fu. Once he started training with aliveness he found clinching techniques from Greco-Roman wrestling served the same purpose as the kung fu trappping techniques, but were much more effective and harder to counter. Bye-bye trapping techniques.

My guess that his answer to your question about priniciples and concepts will be there aren't any worthwhile priniciples and concepts found in non-alive arts that aren't already in sports based, alive arts.

If an art does not train in an alive matter they have no away to test and validate their concepts and principals, so there is likely to be as much bullishit included as quality, probably more. Once again you need aliveness to weed the bullshit out.

What you are left with once you are done, is the stuff you would have already had if you started training in an alive manner in the very first place.

Damn, you brought a tear to my eye. Once the SBGi school in my area opens up (check the sig) the guy running the place said Matt would be up to teach some classes and do siminars as well. I can't wait.

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 9:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt has said before that training Japanese Jujitsu with aliveness turns it into Brazilian JiuJitsu, and that training monkey kung fu with aliveness turn it into kickboxing. He also said that training BJJ like how the JJJ guys train would ruin it.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    12/27/2006 3:05pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish Matt would come do a seminar somewhere near indiana. I'd like to hear him talk.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast