Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 10:44pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sidestep & Pivot.

Put down tape on the mat in 3 parallel lines from front to back. Each line about shoulder-width distance apart. Start with your lead foot on the middle line, and your raar foot on the corresponding outer line. Step sideways with your lead foot onto the unoccuppied line, then slide your rear foot to the middle line. You should actually pivot slightly, as if turning to face someone who just shot in past you with an attack.

Then reverse the process. Step your rear foot sideways to the other outer line, and slide your lead foot back to the center line and pivot. Your lead foot now becomes your rear foot.

Continue this drill so that you move from the front of the training area to the back. This is how you safely retreat from a "Straight Blast" attack. After you are used to doing this solo, then create a partner drill out of it. You can even start to add in counter-attacks.

After you are used to retreating from a Straight Blast in this method, now you should switch up the footwork such that instead of the first step going sideways and then sliding backwards, you now step 45 degrees forwards with a narrower pivot. You are now moving forwards against the attack.

As above, try it solo first until you're comfortable with it, then add a partner.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 11:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shoot like there's no tommorow.

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 11:34pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would suggest that as well, but I get the impression they train striking exclusively.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 12:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If this were a "how do break turtle?" thread in DHS, I would have said "Knees-Head".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 6:30am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should mention that his fear of getting hit stems from him getting kicked in the head by 12 people a few months back - he's scared that he might still get a concussion dispite it being a few months. Thanks for the drill kk. And yeah, when we do spar with kicks, I do teep him to hell :P. I managed to get some aggesion in him when he used to stand back doing nothing.. till I repeatidly shin kicked his legs :-p.
    He does eventually want to train boxing properly, however time constraints as well as his previous head injury has made him wary.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 7:00am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hook him up with some headgear or something because dealing with that kind of 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 mentality is doing to be a big pain in the ass if you can't hit the head and you're just throwing hands. It's also going to teach him to keep his hands low (not necessarily a bad thing if you can move your head) and his head up (the real bad thing) if he dont start working headshots.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 7:01am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, after a knockout many sanctioning bodies wont let someone fight for 90 days. I'd assume if his incident was 90 days or more ago he should be ok.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 7:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info. Interestingly enough, he still does keep his head down though his guard is awful. We did try a few head shots rounds of sparring, and he really does freeze when getting beaten. I'll try the headguard thing with him.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 7:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat
    It's also going to teach him to keep his hands low (not necessarily a bad thing if you can move your head)
    *Pukes*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 8:51am

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zophixan
    Hey guys, just wondering how you guys deal with people who straight blast, or just use jabs/crosses. I normally step diagonally past them and just return with hooks/jabs. The reason I ask is, I've teaching a friend to box, just for fun, and I seem to have forgotten alot of my boxing training!
    This is made much harder by the fact that my friend refuses to spar head shots yet!
    Get him a competent Boxing trainer, no, not you.

"I seem to have forgotten alot of my boxing training! llloguysamiafunny?"?!?!"

No.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast