Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/01/2003 8:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you faced this guy before? Was this your first time against him? What was his reaction?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2003 8:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'd faced him before. He's pretty good. He wasn't being an ass about it and he helped me work on my technique for the rest of the training, since I wasn't in the mood for more sparring obviously :)

The thing is, he's too fast for me, I can't keep up with him. Think of a 5'8" Indonesian guy who's faster than Yoda. He's a really nice guy though, you wouldn't say that he can kick ass, but believe me, he can and not just because he KO'ed me :)

Simps

Posted On:
    8/01/2003 8:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, that brings up a discussion. How to offset speed? Is speed harder to beat than strength disadavantage?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2003 9:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Justme: NO!

That sucks Simps. I've been KO'd about 4 times and each time it completely blew. I've only been choked out once and I definately prefer that.

you want some easy revenge? I assume you are bigger than this guy. well one of my asshole moves is to repeatedly throw full force strikes at obvious blocks. Its great, why wait for the opening? Just hammer at his guard until he drops it. I think too many people try and snipe. try and trick their way in. Sometimes its just fun to hammer your way in. My favorite area to attack when I'm in the mood to do this is to keep kicking his tricep as he blocks it drops the guard AND rapes his punching with that arm.

---------
    I have discovered the true essence of Bullshido: To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women.
    In short: to flame.

Posted On:
    8/01/2003 9:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Justme: NO!"
    So, even if he's faster, if you have a decided strength advantage you'll eventually catch them, and overpower them?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2003 9:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speed is about perception. If you can see someone tense up before a strike, there's a good chance you can avoid/block it.

If someone doesn't telegraph their technique, they can strike faster then you can parry/block/evade. The only way to counter that is having good defense up, covering most of your vital parts and to keep moving. Or clinching, since that will negate the distance as well as their speed advantage by quite a bit.

There however lies the problem. The better striker (the one that's faster and more agile) will dominate at range, not much you can do except a takedown, but again you have to close the distance.

What you can try, is feinting and drawing. If you open a specific area for attack, you know that he will strike there, so you will improve your reaction time. Feinting and drawing complement eachother, because if you use them simultaneously, you can set up a strike yourself as well.

Still, you have to deal with the fact that the guy is physically faster then you are. If you open up, unaware of your hole in your defense, you're fucked.

Simps

Posted On:
    8/01/2003 9:12am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "If someone doesn't telegraph their technique, they can strike faster then you can parry/block/evade. The only way to counter that is having good defense up, covering most of your vital parts and to keep moving. Or clinching, since that will negate the distance as well as their speed advantage by quite a bit."

OK, where did your defense breakdown? (just trying to help you analyze what you probably have already analyzed).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2003 9:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, he was putting pressure on me while sparring, I got sloppy with my lower guard because of that and that's when it went wrong.

I know what I did wrong. So did the other guy. Hence, I got KO'ed :)

Simps

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2003 9:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fisting Kittens:

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try. One thing I wonder about though, do I really want to risk pissing a guy like him off really bad by just hammering on his blocks and triceps? :)

Simps

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2003 9:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why not? LOL what's he gonna do? Knock you out? ......oh.

---------
    I have discovered the true essence of Bullshido: To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women.
    In short: to flame.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast