Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 12:27am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cuaucalli - Aztec Karate?

So this is an offshoot thread from the BJJ/Kuk Sool Won thread in the news forum.

This guy, Joseph Cantu, is teaching BJJ at the KSW school, with as of yet unspecified training under Leonardo Xavier and Royce Gracie.

From a bio:

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Cantu...860148928.aspx

Mr Cantu's awards include PKA Full Contact Competitor of the Year, Texas and Arizona Grand Champion in forms and sparring, Marine Military Academy Grand Champion, World Champion Bare Knuckle Kumite, SBDC Business of the year, Baytown Sun Reader's Choice Award, Congressional Leadership Award, NKA Top 2 schools and many more.

Joseph Cantu holds black belt degrees in several styles and is chief instructor of his own system (Cuaucalli) and curriculum, was the first to bring Kardio Kickbox and Mixed Martial Arts to the Baytown area.

Mr Cantu's knowledge, experience and professionalism in self defense and fitness is the major contributing factor in the success of TKS Martial Arts.
    Another bio, self-made:

http://www.actionnetworks.net/member...mid=71590&np=0

Hi, my name is joseph cantu, and this is my member page here at the Action Martial Arts Magazine community.
    I am from My hometown is Brownsville, TX but I reside in Baytown, TX

I am the Chief Instructor for TKS MARTIAL ARTS, LLC. My style is Cuaucalli (translation: Eagel or Warrior House of the Aztecs).

My Hobbies:
    Researching Aztec culture and martial arts.

My Favorite Websites:
    www.tksmartialarts.com
    From his latest webpage:

http://www.mindbodysport.com/index.cfm?page=6

Devera:You've obviously put alot programs and systems in place for other schools including your martial art style Cuaucalli. What is Cuaucalli and what is the future of traditional karate?

JOSEPH: I founded Cuaucalli as a tribute and historical system to my Aztec heritage. Foremost, the the systemization of martial arts, pressure points and warfare drew my attention to promoting it's resurrection. I will be writing an article for BLACK BELT Magazine on Traditional Karate and Aztec Martial Arts.
    Angie: You built the TKS Curriculum including katas, student manuals and checklists for Cuaucalli. What lies ahead for the formalization of style?

JOSEPH: Cuaucalli will be out in E-book (tentative date)January 15, 2007. Waiting for my new school to open I have had plenty of time to pursue it's actual publishing and expect with the help of my new publisher to have it finally out this spring.

Devera:Are there any others schools or instructors that teach your style?

JOSEPH: NO, none, zero. I am the founder, author and chief instructor. I only recognize those training with MIND BODY & SPORT concept. There is no instructor authorized or recogized by me to teach. I will formally recognize certified black belt instructors in my book "CUAUCALLI: Aztec Martial Arts". (see Nav Link-Cuaucalli)
    So, he founded a system of which he is the sole instructor. Googling "CUAUCALLI" alone turns up very few links. This must be a martial art of recent vintage.

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 12:39am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is another example of someone grabbing a historic name and teaching it as an art without a lineage. What a load of BS.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 1:14am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Injun-Ryu?

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 1:24am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder how one can teach a Aztec martial art without speaking the language, oh wait, that never stopped anyone before.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 1:28am

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not speaking the language is actually a requirement for this sort of thing, you know

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 1:31am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How else is he going to uncover the secrets of the Aztecs?

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 1:33am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, you are correct that he could have learned the art from someone without having to learn Aztec which to my knowledge is a dead language. But the lineage is something else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 2:09am

Style: MMA, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silly Ninja Claus. I was referring to the many, many instructors who claim to teach ancient arts with no lineage and not even being able to speak the language, even though they'll make up plenty of words and titles for themselves supposedly in whatever language is relevant.
    In other words, it was a joke. ;-)

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 2:15am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given my profession I am incapable of humor :P

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 2:16am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!