Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 10:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Loose weight first before getting big?

Ok I am 37 out of shape, just started doing alot of treadmill work 1 week ago (every morning so far) I am 5'6 and a half and 157 skinny as a board except big pot belly (dont drink at all)

My goal is to loose my stomach get sixers again and bulk up, so what should I start with loosing or bulking?

I also changed my diet last week and no longer eat junk (miss the snapples and tastycakes,damn) othing processed, no bread and focus on protein and veggies and eat 6 small meals a day and drink a ton of water.

I also start training thursday night in mma , will be doing that 2 nights a week so I think m-w-f I will hit the weights, every morning I plan on doing n hour cardio no matter what.
    Last edited by jt1969; 12/20/2006 11:22pm at .

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 5:46am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jt1969
    Ok I am 37 out of shape, just started doing alot of treadmill work 1 week ago (every morning so far) I am 5'6 and a half and 157 skinny as a board except big pot belly (dont drink at all)

My goal is to loose my stomach get sixers again and bulk up, so what should I start with loosing or bulking?

I also changed my diet last week and no longer eat junk (miss the snapples and tastycakes,damn) othing processed, no bread and focus on protein and veggies and eat 6 small meals a day and drink a ton of water.

I also start training thursday night in mma , will be doing that 2 nights a week so I think m-w-f I will hit the weights, every morning I plan on doing n hour cardio no matter what.
    Focus on not injuring yourself with all the new exercising and keep at it. Your body will be in noticeably better shape within a few months.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 7:55am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cullion has the correct. Get used to your training regiment.

If you plan on doing cardio in the morning, you'd better eat a little first, or else all that muscle you plan on building will get converted into energy. Also, you're not going to "bulk up" unless you eat enough calories to do so.

Also, depending on how long your MMA classes are, you may not be able to handle a "2 a day" until you get more in shape.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 8:26am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gratz man.

Good plan. Don't forget to get enough rest. It's just as important as anything else.

"skinny" + pot belly = fattie. Question is, how fat?

If you're within say ~10 lbs of your target weight, then skip the cutting and just lift. No? then watch the diet more and keep up the cardio. You can lift but the gains will come slower if at all.

I'm also the fattie. 6'4", 320 (f'ing holidays), 21% BF. What I'm doing with weights is higher rep sets. 3x12-15 on main lifts and 4 x 25 on assistance lifts. With the cardio you should make pretty good progress on the loss.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 4:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

thanks guys

thanks for the replies ... yea I have been watching that I dont overdue it and working out every other day but cardio everday.today I did interval running 2 minutes at speed 8 then 4 minutes at speed 4 did that 4 times with a 5 minute time of warm up and 5 cool down .

Much more intense but nice and quick versus the 45 minutes I was doing, only thing about the treadmill I hate is it bangs up my hip and ankles pretty bad.

Weights wise I am doiing like 8 different machines and it takes about 45 minutes, doing 3 sets of each 12 reps and last set I go as heavy as I can.

Feel better, eating better, etc but I weighed myself to day and gained 2 lbs, what the fu#$?

I have been eating 5-6 small meals a day, take today for example:

8:30 Small glass of soy milk mixed with quaker oats oatmeal (1 cup)
    9:30 Cardio at gym
    11:30 Wheat Bagel and about 10 grapes
    3:00 Boiled chicken (fistfull) half of green pepper

Dinner I am planning some salmon and brown rice
    Later will have some organic corn tortilla chips

I hope I am doing things right here, maybe I should put off lifting and focus on weight first than bulk up..

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 8:35pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    baby steps. It's a constant refinement. So...

#1 Track your diet better. For a few months use fitday.com or something and measure everything you eat. You should know how much protien you're getting, how many calories, all that. Then once you've been on the diet a while then you're ok to eyeball it.

#2 Looks like you need more protien and green veggies. Learn to love eggs. I eat maybe 8-12 boiled egg whites a day. Also pop a multi.

#3 if you're gaining weight, and doing what you say, it's probably muscle.

3 is the bitch of it all. To gain muscle you need to eat more than your maintenance calories. To lose fat you need to eat less than your maintenance calories. Trying to do both at the same time is possible, just tricky.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 8:32am

Style: Mixed grappling & fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always gain weight when I start jogging after a lapse. Leg muscles get toned back up, and it translates to +5 lbs in a few weeks.

If you're having joint troubles with the treadmill, look into the elliptical machine or excercise bike as an alternative. Are you working with a trainer? He or she might have some more useful advice in that regard. Personally, I have no troubles with joints, but I find I can keep my heartrate at target levels for longer on a bike. I still prefer the treadmill.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 9:29am

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is always easier to bulk up when you are alreay heavier. The mere fact fact you are carrying around extra weight is conudcive to hypertrophy.

If you really want to pack on the mass, don' bother doing more than a 1/2 hr of cardio a day. The wholepoint to getting bigger is taking in more calories than you burn. The hard part is taking in the right calories, and burning those calories doing excercies conducive to building mass.

Buy yourself some whey for like $20 and take a scoop of that with every meal in which you are not cinsuming enough protein. Ideally you need at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. If you weigh 180 lbs, you should be taking in 180 grams of protein a day.

Try taking a 3 month period as a bulking phase. For three months do not more than 1/2hr of cardio a day. Hit the free weights and use basic compound excercies (all presses, squats, dead lifts, bent over rows) in a 6-8 rep range. Try to do each set to failure or at least on your final set. I used to like a 4 day split but you should figure out your own program accodring to your schedule.

Try http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 10:23pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't cut or bulk. Just work out consistently and clean up your diet. Eat frequent, small meals, lots of protein. Get your good fats (fish oil, nuts, avocadoes, etc.) Don't hurt yourself and don't over do it. You can gain muscle and lose fat easily if you're new to exercise. Your appetite will take care of the amount of food for a while. Consistency with a workable plan >>> perfect plan you can't follow.

Once you've managed to do that for 6 months, ask for more specific advice.

And the term for guys like you is "skinny fat" -- no muscle but yet too much fat.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 1:56am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    res nailed what i was going to say.

also, depending on your frame, you may already be at your target weight - just not your target makeup. the "average" 5'7" male is about 150lbs (on the charts i've read, anyway). just eat well and train hard (and consistently), and see where your body chooses to go for a while.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast