Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 8:04pm

Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. I can't believe it. It's CMA and I'm not dissapointed!

Seriously, if there was CMA this hardcore around Vaughan I'd definately check it out.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 4:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is how Chinese martial arts should look, broadly speaking.

Reminds me of the more hardcore sessions in my Shaolin-Do classes.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least the way I've been taught, when an opposite-sided strike/kick "combo" is in a form, it's a throw, not a strike/kick "combo."

Basically a simple sweep with the "kick" foot, while the "strike" hand is unbalancing at the opposite side shoulder, and the retracting hand of the "strike" is pulling the opponent's arm/shirt/whatever to toss the guy on his ass...

But I don't do mantis, so WTF do I know...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 3:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stone
    At least the way I've been taught, when an opposite-sided strike/kick "combo" is in a form, it's a throw, not a strike/kick "combo."

Basically a simple sweep with the "kick" foot, while the "strike" hand is unbalancing at the opposite side shoulder, and the retracting hand of the "strike" is pulling the opponent's arm/shirt/whatever to toss the guy on his ass...

But I don't do mantis, so WTF do I know...
    Interesting, although I can't really visualize that working with a straight (forward) kick and forward punch... is this with the punch and kick landing on the same side of the body and the pulling hand simply pulling the opponent over the knee-trap ("kicking") foot?

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    12/23/2006 7:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragoon3428
    Interesting, although I can't really visualize that working with a straight (forward) kick and forward punch... is this with the punch and kick landing on the same side of the body and the pulling hand simply pulling the opponent over the knee-trap ("kicking") foot?
    Just because a form demonstrates a given movement while moving in a particular direction does not imply that that is, in fact, the direction you're moving when applying said movement.

In this example, of the right punch with left low-line kick, it is applied at a roughly perpendicular position to the opponent's incoming attack. The withdrawing hand grasps the opponent's extended arm/wrist/etc., the soon-to-be punching hand aims at the opponent's shoulder/lapel. The kick is directed at the forward-most leg. As the form shows with simultaneous punching/kicking, the withdrawing hand unbalances that side, while the low-line kick acts as a block to repositioning of the forward leg, and the punching hand then both bends backward and rotates the opponent on X and Y axes, tossing him onto his side/back.

This is one of so very many examples of striking oriented forms encoding certain techniques that, when not taught by the teacher nor learned by the student, become ridiculous when performed by the next generation of students. They try to make them work as they've been shown, but the technique is completely unrealistic and impractical.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/24/2006 4:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...technical details...
    So something like this?

At least that's how I was seeing it, but trying to place myself perpendicular to an opponent's attack for this technique, well, I think I'm going to need an illustration or something. (This is why martial arts are hard to learn from a book, I'm guessing)

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    12/25/2006 1:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragoon3428
    So something like this?

At least that's how I was seeing it, but trying to place myself perpendicular to an opponent's attack for this technique, well, I think I'm going to need an illustration or something. (This is why martial arts are hard to learn from a book, I'm guessing)
    Yes, more or less. Think "step backward first" to gain the angle, unbalancing him with the withdrawing step, then down he goes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2006 3:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, more or less. Think "step backward first" to gain the angle, unbalancing him with the withdrawing step, then down he goes.
    Yep, that's what I figured. I've tried that before, it can work fairly well, but it's kinda hard to set up. :ohyeah:

**** you math class

Posted On:
    12/25/2006 4:25pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    12/26/2006 7:50am

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    As you may be aware, fair London town has recently been blessed with a substantial influx of our Polish bretheren. They are, to a man, 6'+ pillars of muscle that have been wrestling for twenty years and are really into metal. The Poles, in short, are the fucking future, and the rest of us inferior beings had better get used to it.
    In WWII the polish cavalry charged invading German tanks on horseback. It failed horrifically of course, _but they just did it again_.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast