218357 Bullies, 4595 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. HearWa is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Vaughan, ON (New Brunswick native)
    Posts
    553

    Posted On:
    12/22/2006 8:04pm


     Style: Sub-wrestling, mostly...

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. I can't believe it. It's CMA and I'm not dissapointed!

    Seriously, if there was CMA this hardcore around Vaughan I'd definately check it out.
  2. dragoon3428 is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    42

    Posted On:
    12/23/2006 4:57am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin-Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is how Chinese martial arts should look, broadly speaking.

    Reminds me of the more hardcore sessions in my Shaolin-Do classes.
  3. Matt Stone is offline
    Matt Stone's Avatar

    U.S. Army

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wahiawa, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,246

    Posted On:
    12/23/2006 3:14pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least the way I've been taught, when an opposite-sided strike/kick "combo" is in a form, it's a throw, not a strike/kick "combo."

    Basically a simple sweep with the "kick" foot, while the "strike" hand is unbalancing at the opposite side shoulder, and the retracting hand of the "strike" is pulling the opponent's arm/shirt/whatever to toss the guy on his ass...

    But I don't do mantis, so WTF do I know...
  4. dragoon3428 is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    42

    Posted On:
    12/23/2006 3:28pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin-Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stone
    At least the way I've been taught, when an opposite-sided strike/kick "combo" is in a form, it's a throw, not a strike/kick "combo."

    Basically a simple sweep with the "kick" foot, while the "strike" hand is unbalancing at the opposite side shoulder, and the retracting hand of the "strike" is pulling the opponent's arm/shirt/whatever to toss the guy on his ass...

    But I don't do mantis, so WTF do I know...
    Interesting, although I can't really visualize that working with a straight (forward) kick and forward punch... is this with the punch and kick landing on the same side of the body and the pulling hand simply pulling the opponent over the knee-trap ("kicking") foot?
  5. Matt Stone is offline
    Matt Stone's Avatar

    U.S. Army

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wahiawa, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,246

    Posted On:
    12/23/2006 7:27pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragoon3428
    Interesting, although I can't really visualize that working with a straight (forward) kick and forward punch... is this with the punch and kick landing on the same side of the body and the pulling hand simply pulling the opponent over the knee-trap ("kicking") foot?
    Just because a form demonstrates a given movement while moving in a particular direction does not imply that that is, in fact, the direction you're moving when applying said movement.

    In this example, of the right punch with left low-line kick, it is applied at a roughly perpendicular position to the opponent's incoming attack. The withdrawing hand grasps the opponent's extended arm/wrist/etc., the soon-to-be punching hand aims at the opponent's shoulder/lapel. The kick is directed at the forward-most leg. As the form shows with simultaneous punching/kicking, the withdrawing hand unbalances that side, while the low-line kick acts as a block to repositioning of the forward leg, and the punching hand then both bends backward and rotates the opponent on X and Y axes, tossing him onto his side/back.

    This is one of so very many examples of striking oriented forms encoding certain techniques that, when not taught by the teacher nor learned by the student, become ridiculous when performed by the next generation of students. They try to make them work as they've been shown, but the technique is completely unrealistic and impractical.
  6. dragoon3428 is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    42

    Posted On:
    12/24/2006 4:36pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin-Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stone
    ...technical details...
    So something like this?

    At least that's how I was seeing it, but trying to place myself perpendicular to an opponent's attack for this technique, well, I think I'm going to need an illustration or something. (This is why martial arts are hard to learn from a book, I'm guessing)
  7. Matt Stone is offline
    Matt Stone's Avatar

    U.S. Army

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wahiawa, Hawaii
    Posts
    1,246

    Posted On:
    12/25/2006 1:30am

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, CMA, & more

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dragoon3428
    So something like this?

    At least that's how I was seeing it, but trying to place myself perpendicular to an opponent's attack for this technique, well, I think I'm going to need an illustration or something. (This is why martial arts are hard to learn from a book, I'm guessing)
    Yes, more or less. Think "step backward first" to gain the angle, unbalancing him with the withdrawing step, then down he goes.
  8. dragoon3428 is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    42

    Posted On:
    12/25/2006 3:59pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin-Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stone
    Yes, more or less. Think "step backward first" to gain the angle, unbalancing him with the withdrawing step, then down he goes.
    Yep, that's what I figured. I've tried that before, it can work fairly well, but it's kinda hard to set up. :ohyeah:
  9. MEGA JESUS-SAMA is offline
    MEGA JESUS-SAMA's Avatar

    **** you math class

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pirate Island
    Posts
    7,039

    Posted On:
    12/25/2006 4:25pm

    supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
  10. Cullion is offline
    Cullion's Avatar

    Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Posts
    6,543

    Posted On:
    12/26/2006 7:50am

    supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    As you may be aware, fair London town has recently been blessed with a substantial influx of our Polish bretheren. They are, to a man, 6'+ pillars of muscle that have been wrestling for twenty years and are really into metal. The Poles, in short, are the fucking future, and the rest of us inferior beings had better get used to it.
    In WWII the polish cavalry charged invading German tanks on horseback. It failed horrifically of course, _but they just did it again_.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

    !! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

    Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey



    I <3 Sirc.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.