Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 5:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had the same situation last night with one guy that kept trying to take my head off when it was supposed to be light sparring. My defense fell to **** because I was too afraid to committ to anything. I was cowering in the corner like a beaten puppy. My best advice is to actually start thinking while you're in there. A lot of times its easy to sit back and rely on those animal instincts, but if I find myself afraid, I have to think "Ok, now I'm gonna set up a combination with the jab" and "ok, now I'm gonna feint". It makes it not really easy to rely on reactions, but it'll help you get back in the grove.

Above all else, just shake off the ring rust.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 7:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds a lot like what originally happened to me when I started sparring with my coach. When I spar him, he beats the living crap out of me, so at first I'd just try and circle and stick and move, then he'd close the distance and murder me and I'd start to give up and just let him beat the tar out of me til I went down.

BUT! He gives me all kinds of **** about how I'm weak and will never be a champion and bla bla bla whenever I start to give up, so after sparring with him for a while I've sort of gotten a sense of never giving up, and I stand and trade with him a lot but keep my head together enough where I don't get hit TOO much, push off, lock up his arms now and then, step on his foot, and learn to get really good at covering with my shoulder. After getting my head together about this I learned not just how to take a hit and keep going, but I've gotten a lot better at not getting hit and how to GIVE BACK more than I take. I guess the best thing I did to make me able to spar with him is learning to fight inside.

I guess my advice is just to try and work both ranges and see where you can fight him most comfortably and don't be afraid to get close and press your forehead against him (watching for uppercuts of course).

Of course, Manu still knocks my brain loose just about every round we spar, so take my advice for what it's worth (shut up Cracky).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 1:09am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    three magical letters P C P

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 2:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Robot Jesus!
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 2:57am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i try
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12