Posted On:
    12/20/2006 4:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A very helpful habit I've developed...

(borat) NOT!
    Went back to training at SBGi today, did fine sparring and working on my own things with the other students, but when I sparred with the instructor he was a lot more aggressive and continually pushed me back. I was alright for the first couple of minutes and stayed energetic, but after he landed a few solid shots on me (HE'S ROCKED!!!) I just kind of mentally shut down and stopped moving as much, and he just chased me as I circled landing shot after shot. He eventually backed off and let me breathe a little bit, but I was still stuck in this rut somehow, like I was just waiting for him to hit me hard and get it over with. It's been a while since I trained at SBGi and this is something I've never dealt with sparring with the people I train at college, or the other gym members really- but every time I sparred him that night it was the same thing, I'd just shut down and take it like a bitch after he hit me a few times. I don't know if it was the skill difference, or change in aggression... dunno. I'm certainly capable of taking it to him, as I did before (he hit me hard in retaliation), but I just lose it in my mind.

****. :deadhorse
    Last edited by feedback; 12/20/2006 4:31am at .
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 5:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go away troll

if hes that much more experienced than you and hes dropping bombs on you then try asking him to go a little lighter. otherwise its just going to reinforce the mindset you have now of shelling up. chances are he isnt doing it because hes a dick but because he doesnt realise.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 5:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It can be hard to just let your hands go, but it is what you have to do. Relax, and have fun with it. It sounds like part of your problem is that you fear sparring with them (because they are a higher level than your college group) so you are nervous from the get-go.

Go to your jab. Ask if he would mind dedicating a round to you only using your jab. That way there are parameters on the session, and you only have one thing to think about. When you're comfortable with that, drop another technique in.

I think the overarching problem/solution is experience and comfort. The more experience you get in the ring with this group (or in general for that matter), the more comfortable you will feel, which is when you'll find that your hands start to go, and you get your flow on.

Other then that, if for whatever reason you just can't seem to throw a punch, use the opportunity to work on your footwork, keeping your hands up, and your chin tucked.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 9:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of sparring is this? Boxing, muay thai, or shoot?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eat the hits.

It's mental right? its that you don't like getting hit. Eat them, stand and trade, and you'll get over the fear. Forcing an exchange in boxing - even one i'd lose - made me get over the fear and also made me see how I could make my own space and back them up.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 10:05am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    Eat the hits.

It's mental right? its that you don't like getting hit. Eat them, stand and trade, and you'll get over the fear. Forcing an exchange in boxing - even one i'd lose - made me get over the fear and also made me see how I could make my own space and back them up.
    Same-same. Until that first good shot hits me, I tend to be skittish in sparring. It's like there's some big mental button that needs to be triggered before I get over any reticence about being hit.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 10:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since everyone is giving boxing advice I guess I'll chime in. You need to realize you're going to get hit. Don't just ea punches though. Work around it. Why is he landing on you? Do you need to double or triple up the jab? Do you need to throw a tighter hook so you don't get countered? Answer the question why you're getting hit while also working through the fact that you will get hit and you will need to keep fighting.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 10:33am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its ring rust. Seriously if he is the only guy challenging you lately thats all it is. Get in there a couple more times and stay positive mentally and it will fall away. I have the same problem if I fight strikers that don't challenge me. Its very easy to get in a rut and then get surprised.

Unlike grappling you can't just try whacky stuff and learn when you outgun someone. You sometimes have to drop to their level to not destroy them. This causes bad habits but I have yet to find a good way to avoid it without being a cock.

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 1:36pm

Style: Karate, Sadism, Violence.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's submissive behaviour. It's natural I guess, sort of like a dog cowering down.

I fucking hate it. But, It's also benifical because you keep your cool.

I've had something similiar happen. If I get hit hard instead of getting angry, I accutally relax and sort of go limp. I'm thinking '****. Come on man, don't make me hurt you. You are my friend." I really don't like to punch people HARD, 95% of people will try to hit you even harder even though they threw the first brick. This is bad when you are friends with them.

I hate that feeling. And it only comes around when someone is trying to be super man.

My advice is try to lighten the mood up with a joke or something. Either that or push your fist into his ribs so hard he has nightmares about you.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 5:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TURB0
    What kind of sparring is this? Boxing, muay thai, or shoot?
    This is boxing, though I do muay thai.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast