Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 1:02pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol it's only at interclub level. It will have been about 5-6 months by the time it comes round, 17th Feb.

I wasn't sure whether to do it or not but it;s all experience at the end of the day and i'm not doing too bad in sparring.

It's only 2 x 2 minute rounds with gloves and shinpads, no elbows or knees to the face

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 1:03pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh...We don't really have a set routine, we do what the coach tells us to (usually sparring 6 rounds with him two-three times a week and then a buttload of random conditioning drills and padwork) If we dont happen to hook up with the coach then we do what we want which is usually going in on the off hours, hitting the bag for a round or two and then maybe doing 3-5 rounds of pads and then we spar a whole fucking shitload (often times for over an hour straight which is about 15 rounds). Sometimes on those days we'll stick around for the class (which results in 4 hours straight training, but I personally loathe doing the class as it's geared towards beginners and oft times feel like we're just doing pad kata and bag kata.)

Far from ideal, but thus is the life of a couple fighters who train at a gym with nothing but hobbyists. Ashly and I are the whole "fight team" except for this one guy who does MMA from time to time. Not the ideal situation but I suppose it's better then our old training regimen which was basically we come in and hit the bags every day and spar once or twice a week and thats it.

We'll probably start running here soon, but I didnt do it for my last few fights and I felt like every round I went gave me more energy then the last so I'm hoping that that effect kicks in again. It's really awesome to not only not gas completely out but to in fact make every round better and more intense then the last while your opponent just gets slower and weaker. I felt like I could go on indeffinitly the last few times I fought.

What's really funny is the people right now who are reading this and hating me because we're undertrained and I'm our manager and they blame me for the fact that our gym is not geared towards fighters and that we're making the best of a less then ideal situation.
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 12/20/2006 1:07pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 1:17pm

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for that.

And fair play to you both for doing it off your own backs, as it were.

So are the lessons at your place just a free for all or is there and advanced and beginners class?

How long have you both been fighting ammy?

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 2:52pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's just one class three times a week, the class is fairly overcrowded with 20-25 people often times stuck in a space that I would suggest is more appropriette for 10-15 max. This is paticularly a clusterfuck in sparring we have about two boxing rings of space to work with and everyone spars all at once.

Imagine sparring in a ring with 4-5 other pairs in the same ring and that's about the feeling. Only kinda worse because since it's not a ring if you try to close to punching range they tend to just run straight back alllllll the way across the gym. This paticularly sucks in sparring with taller guys. (Though it just now hit me that this is probably why sparring taller guys sucks a lot more these days rather then back when I used to do all my sparring in a ring and height seemed almost like a non issue)

The good thing is that there is a lot of sparring, 6 and more rounds per class. Class itself is about 2 1/2 hours long but is mostly pretty dead drilling on the bags or pads. The instructor says "do this" and names off a short combo and then we do it. Though ashly and myself tend to exercise creative liberty to varying degrees. Even "shadow boxing" is preformatted marching up and down the floor like karate throwing a named combo.

Anyways, yeh, i find class to be pretty unsatisfying in general. Working with the instructor during "open mat" is awesome though. Usually it's just me and ashly there so there's give and take in that regard. Personally if I could do it all over again I'd see if I could work out a private lessons deal rather then signing up for the class at the gym.

We've been competing for coming up on almost a year(We both had our first fights last febuary). I competed in BJJ well before that but it's not really the same when punches are involved ;) We been training for two years give and take 3 months between us.
    Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 12/20/2006 3:16pm at .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, the class is kinda bleh if you're not a total beginner, though it's pretty good for getting a good cardio workout as Manu has us do a lot of pad work and cardio bag drills. Training with Manu on the off days is fantastic training, though, since you get personalised training from a guy who fought and trained in Thailand for years, and is really an all around bad ass with a butt load of experience.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 7:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck to both of you. I second Alex's plea on not beating up the cute chick too badly.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12