Posted On:
    12/18/2006 9:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: hwa rang do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vunak's Osmosis Training

This just in.
    Paul Vunak has a training program called Osmosis training whose goal is to make one more proficient in the 4 ranges of empty hand fighting: kicking, punching, trapping, and grappling. You spend time training with a master that specializes in each range. For example, for kicking range: train ~500 hours with a savate master. For punching range, spar ~500 hours with a boxer. For trapping range, train chi sao with a wing chun master for you guessed it .. 500 hours. And finally, for grappling range, do groundwork with a jiu-jitsu black belt for 500 hours. It sounds great in theory, and I am sure you would benefit from all the training.
    My question is : how practical is this for a person with a full-time job to train with 4 different people ? Regardless , if you only train with one person at a time or all 4 instructors simultaneously, this will take a quite bit of time. Thoughts comments?

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 9:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My osmosis training involves sitting in the bathtub for extended periods.

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 9:54pm

Style: BJJ,MT,RBSD (on hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One obvious flaw I can think of here would probably revolve around integration between the different styles. Since you have a different instructor for each style and they are bound to have contradictory approaches, it will therefore be up to the person to resolve the issues.

I'd trade in the savate and _ing _ung for Muay Thai and Judo or greco.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 10:24am

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As much as I am a big fan of Voo, there does seem to be a lot of "money-making machinery" at work with him at the minute.

Then again, that is how he makes his living so I guess it is fair enough.....what was my point again? Oh yes, I need coffee....................

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 1:02pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive seen some of his videos and read his books. I like him. I think hes definatley biased cause he needs money too. Hes just repackaging MMA. Thats it. Savate, Boxing, Wing Chun and BJJ. Sounds ok minus the WC. Plus 500 hours in each? thats 2000 hrs total. an hour a day of training is 7 hrs a week or 28hrs a month. Thats 336 hrs a year. So your gonna need about a year and a half to master each part. Well If you just went to an MMA scool Im sure youd do better learning it all at once. Who has 1.5 years to give to each art individualy while neglecting others?

His WC stuff actually isnt that bad. From what I remember he just likes the straight blast and boxing footwork/headmovement mixed in with a few of the basic traps.

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 1:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a lot of Voo's stuff and it is fantastic - I am rather partial to "RAT" fighting.I never trained under him, but I did train for a year in JKD/PFS/BJJ under Jack McVicker (a high ranking instructor and one of Voo's demo guys on the "RAT" tapes) who was able to kick my ass without even trying. That alone is a good testament to how good Voo must actually be, as Jack thinks very highly of him.

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 4:48pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal MAP
    That alone is a good testament to how good Voo must actually be, as Jack thinks very highly of him.
    You could think highly of a guy and still kick his ass. Never saw much of Vunak, but I just don't think he is good fighter, he more than likely is a good trainer.

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 4:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    You could think highly of a guy and still kick his ass. Never saw much of Vunak, but I just don't think he is good fighter, he more than likely is a good trainer.
    I'll clarify - Jack says he was a damn good scrapper!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2006 11:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are u doing these all simultaneously or do you do one and then move on to the next? over how long a period are u expected to do this? 2000 hours is alot!! if you break it out over 6 years that would be 6 hours of training a week. Alot more than a typical student would be willing to commit.

Also it won't mean bunk unless you put it all together....

Why not just train Muay Thai and BJJ and eliminate the rest of the crap!

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why did he pick those arts? Savate is obscure isn't it? WC, boxing, Savate, are those core JKD arts for the guys who "systemized" JKD?

Add in BJJ because of popularity?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast