Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 1:12pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hot tub, sauna, steam room

How many of you use any of the above mention facilities. I love the **** out of them but some of the boxers in my gym gimme **** and swear up-n-down that it's bad for a fighter. I do it after I work out. I steam, tub, sauna and shower then I feel human enough to go home.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember reading somewhere that about fifteen minutes of heat treatment (i.e. hot tub, sauna or steam room) immediately after a weight session would help gains and recovery time. Alternatively, I could be speaking out of my arse but that's nothing new.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 4:34pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think of a hot tub as a broth of slow-cooked other-people's dead skin cells. With assorted bacteria for seasoning. You'll get more action in the steam room anyways.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    big fan of the hot tub/sauna/steam room

i like to do a rotation, especially after workouts. seems to help me relax.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 5:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think they're great, when I can get to em. Sadly my judo club meets at a council run leisure centre (i.e. falling apart) and my BJJ place is basically in the loft of a paint wharehouse (no facilitys, fooking freezing in the winter).

Been thinking about joining some friends playing five a side football at a flash sports centre just so I can use the steam room afterwards, but **** it that game is too dangerous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 5:55pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought hot water after weightlifting actually increased the likelihood of muscle soreness? I think i remember hearing about it from some thread on bullshido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 6:32pm

Style: BJJ/boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The hot tub is good for helping with increased circulation and the jets feel pretty damn good too. My wife talked me into buying one and I'm so glad she did. Love to use it after training.

The steam room and dry heat sauna again will help with increased circulation. I prefer a steam room over the sauna because it helps clear out the respiratory system.

The only thing is to not go into one of these three after really intense cardio since your core temperature is already higher than usual. I think the rule of thumbs is wait about 15 to 20 minutes while doing a cool down.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 7:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I jst got home from a workout at the Y and used the sauna actually. I like it..I find it relaxes me and cleanses my system a bit. I never stay in for more than 15 minutes though. Too much time in there is bad for your organs - apparently.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 10:27pm

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your skin turns white when cold because blood rushes to your internal organs to protect them. skin turns red when blood rushes to the surface to protect the skin and avoid overheating. this process happens very quickly. after you workout, muscles are begging for anything to repair the trauma they just went through. they'll take anything, making what you eat post workout very important. so having simple carbohydrates(to restore glycogen levels and carbs lost during exercise) and quickly digested protein(so muscles can build and repair) is important. hot/cold shower contrasts are a way to get those important nutrients to your muscles quicker.

you ever see a fighter take an ice bath post workout? blood=straight to organs, speeding cardiovascular recovery. when the blood is rushing about during cold/hot contrasts, they must pass through the muscle, so those nutrients you just ate got to the muscles 10 times quicker. I know people who relax their muscles with sauna, steam or whirlpool before post workout stretching, ever the better. whatever the tool, there are many uses. don't get hung up on it, it's just a tool.

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 11:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heat = increased circulation (that's why folks get redder)

Increased Circulation = decreased soreness/increased recovery

Don't know what the boxers are talking about; might be superstition.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast