Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 10:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why did I hurt my ankle in sparring today?

I'm a tkd newb, just a little over two months now. For those who haven't read my previous posts, the school is in Korea, and there is a language barrier. Anyway, during sparring, I kicked this guy in the thigh (he is not that big but hard as rock, don't know if this has any relevance), anyway, just after impact I pretty much crumpled to the floor in pain, my ankle was killing me.

My instructor I think was trying to tell me that I hit him with the wrong part of my foot, that I hit too high up. I think I hit on the regular taekwondo attack point, not sure though it was so painful all of the sudden, but anyway I think my foot snapped back too hard, causing the ankle to snap back too quickly.

Really though I have no idea, would like input on what might have happened and possibly exercises to strengthen, and how to prevent this in the future. Oh this was a dolyochagi or roundhouse kick btw.

Thanks.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought you were supposed to land with the shin - above the ankle, so maybe he ment it wasn't high enough?

Hitting with the foot sounds like a good way to **** up your ankle.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 3:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the reason you hurt your ankle is because TKD kicks suck. go learn MT.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 7:09pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you hit far enough down on your foot you could have put a ton of pressure on the ankle. Forceing it to bend a little outside it's natural range of motion. That's gotta hurt.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2006 5:51am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I know taekwondo sucks and kicking with the shin is better, but the instructor yells at me when I hit with it, and I don't feel like getting into a whole long thing, but at the moment I'm going to stick with it.

Anyway, the instructor kicks much harder than I do, and haven't seen him hurt his foot yet, the thing Im confused about is why kicking higher on the instep would hurt the ankle. Also, I read some threads on kicking with the instep and apparently even those that practice martial arts that insist on the shin occasionally catch the instep instead, so I'd like some exercise or some tip that would prevent me from getting hurt if I probably inevitably hit with the same point of the foot again.

Posted On:
    12/16/2006 11:02am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your instructor yells at you when you kick with the shin?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2006 11:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^Well I imagine he's dogmatic in taekwondo, although you never know. He probably just assumes when I do it I'm making a mistake or not understanding instructions, (something I tend to do a lot). But yeah like I said, at least so far taekwondo seems to suck, there are some good tings about doing it I think, but if there was a MT gym, a karate dojo, a bjj gym, and a taekwondo dojo, taekwondo would probably be the last place I'd walk in now. This is Korea though and while taekwondo is on every corner, the other stuff is harder to find. I was supposed to go with this guy to his hapkido school, but every time he flakes out on me...oh well.

I really can't say for sure what its done for me as far as fighting for all I know the kicks are even bad, but I can at least say its gotten my cardio back up, something I've been neglecting for a long time, and of course my flexibility.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/16/2006 11:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But let's not sidetrack the thread, please more ankle opinions. It feels slightly better today, but no way could I work out on it. I bet I won't be able to spar for a week or more the way its feeling :(

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    12/16/2006 12:09pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    practice by kicking a heavy bag, you'll probably end up finding a position of the foot to kick with that feels safe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2006 3:44pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to make sure are hitting with the top of your foot (near where you foot meets your shin) and you should be wary of what targets you pick. I kicked a heavy bag hard with my foot in my karate class and it hurt alot. I had to ice it and it was swollen the next day. Apparently my sensei filled that part of the bag with sand.

If you caught you partner on the knee that might be what hurt you or you may have hit with your foot near your toes. Hitting with the foot is okay. If you can't reach with your shin, its the next best thing. Of course though, hitting with your shin is always the best thing.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast