Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2006 12:02pm

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is a 5 feet 100 lbs heavy bag good enough for a muay thai training?

Hi everyone, so I've just bought (or my parents if you prefer) a heavy bag for christmas to practice at home (and since I haven't found a way to go to a gym yet, to not get rusty), but the one I wanted was sold out (a 6 feet+ 120 lbs heavy bag), so I had to take the next heavier one, wich was the 5 feet 100 lbs heavy bag (because I would have had to wait a month if not more to get the banana bag).

So I was wondering, is it good enough for a muay thai training? Is it long enough to practice low kicks on it, and the most important thing, is it heavy enough for my kicks? For information, I kick and punch quite hard for my weight (165 lbs~, 6 feet tall), and it's going to be in my basement wich is about 2.20 meter long (7.2 feet).

Thanks for your answers peeps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2006 12:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And should I go back to the shop and change it for a banana bag? I mean, would the 1 month+ waiting be worth it?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/17/2006 12:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can do just fine with a 5 ft bag, but since you are 6ft tall, and a heavy bag is something you should be able to use for a few years, it might be a better choice to get the 6ft in a month.

the nice thing about a bananna bag is that you can practice both high and low kicks without changing the hanging height of the bag, so you want the bottom of the bag somewhere around your mid-calf, that way you can practice kicking as high as 7 feet in the air. i know that at 5'7" i can kick the top of my 6ft bag, so you might want the taller bag.

of course the most important thing is that you hit whatever bag you have regularly and properly.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2006 1:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I'm gonna think about it. Anyone has got an answer too for my question?