Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 12:17am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Reflex bag?

I was wondering whether or not my money would be well spent on buying a reflex bag such as this one:
    Clearly I know there are benefits to such a device, but I'm curious as to whether those benefits are significant enough to justify one for home use. Though Boston Sanda has one I usually allot my time at the gym to train other things.

For those wise souls out there. Has this team of leather and metal provided you with increased hand speed, reaction time, and movement as promised? Or has it simply provided hours of frustration and sweat for naught?

Also, do you think it would clash with my drapes? They're a pearl white and it does seem like harsh contrast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 9:09am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure about those but i find floor to ceiling bags quite useful, especially when practicing my footwork. My co-ordination is improving too.

I suppose they're a similar concept but i'd imagine the floor to ceiling to move faster

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 10:06am

Style: PT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm kindof in the same boat. Been looking for a good bag to drill with

So far I'm leanin towards double-end (floor2ceiling)... or the cheaper solution bein a homemade slip bag (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdN-B2KweIc)

really interested in hearin what works best

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 1:25pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A new slip bag is not that expensive, so I'd rather buy one than make one. I'm also a firm believer that anything you're going to hit while training should be high quality because it can save you money in the long run. Spending a little extra money is not a bad thing when it comes to bags. Intersting video though.

punch-drunk

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: SanDa / MMA / Kung-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you'd be better off getting a double-ended striking bag for home use. Now there's a coordination and reflex honing bag worth having. Most of the free standing floor reflex bags like the one you posted really suck and arent worth using, let along buying. The best one I've found is the Cobra-Bag at the gym that is made by Ringside, but it is rather expensive. Its good to have in addition to the other dbl-end bag and speed-bag we have, but wouldnt cut it on its own. Also worth noting, the air bladder inside the reflex bags are unreplaceable as far as i know, and you need to buy a whole new replacement bag instead of just a bladder (hence the one at the gym right now) ... It is decent and worth having as an extra toy at the gym, but I think that overall, you'd be much better off with a basic dbl-end bag like this leather one from Contender that is on sale real cheap right now. The rebound action on them is better & theyre more adjustable. You can also hook up two bags top & bottom in tandem to create a Mexican-Style dble end back for variation. To adjust the height and tension you just tie knots in the upper and lower cords. You can make it rebound a lot faster with much more alive action than a spring-mounted bag. Its also easier to completely move outta the way by unhooking them. You can do basically the same drills on both types, but I think the quality of the drills is much better on the dbl-end bag. As long as you can find a ceiling joist to screw the top attachment into and don't mind having a bracket on your ceiling, it is easy to hang. For the bottom just use a barbell plate with a 2" hole to hold down and run the bottom bracket thru, and you can move it out of the way easily and not have to attach the bracket to the floor.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 3:09pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you'd knock that over. double end FTW.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 3:36pm

Style: Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think those are way slower than the double end ones.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 3:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah get a double ended one those ones suck, it isnt a reflex when you have to wait 3 seconds for it to come back

Posted On:
    12/16/2006 11:00am

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks buddies.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/17/2006 2:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    A new slip bag is not that expensive, so I'd rather buy one than make one. I'm also a firm believer that anything you're going to hit while training should be high quality because it can save you money in the long run. Spending a little extra money is not a bad thing when it comes to bags. Intersting video though.
    Is that because a good bag will have better padding inside which will decrease the chance of injury?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast