Actual Photo

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 4:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to clear things up . You claim
    • Capoeira is more effective than people think ?
    • You say " Slaves since antiquity used it to free themselves from their armed and nasty slaveowners."
    • The main difference between capoeira and most martial arts is in its uses. capoeira is definitely a street-oriented art
    • Since the various tribes didn't speak the same language, but all had their own fighting style, slaves often used fighting skills to communicate.
    • Its works, effectively

Is this correct ?

now on to the previous post ... I needed to add some things to it .

Quote Originally Posted by mago
    In 1920, capoeira had evolved into a slow-played art of cunning and deception.

Is it as effective as other martial arts? I think so. Capoeira is a fight of deception. That pretty ginga swing camouflages punches and hand strikes (I favor open palm strikes to the ear and nose). Lots of capoeira is a lie hidden in a falsehood on an uncertain premise. A good capoeirista is going to show you a lot, or a little, and never the same thing twice.

Its works, effectively.

You are saying Capoeira is based on the same basic ideas as Ninjitsu . You simply shroud it in deception and keep making stuff up as you go ?

I like the direct proven methods of training in martial arts geared towards fighting . I like to dance when it is time to dance . Combining the two , along with what you think a good capoeirista does and would teach , seems to be a recipe for disaster .

but hey if you think it works ... by all means .. your a fucking idiot .

good lord ... I have never seen so much back given to an opponent before way to go Capoeira . None of those people seem to be comfortable actualy hitting one another or seem to be striking with any power .
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 12/14/2006 4:22pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 4:25pm

Style: Capoeira Angola

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is capoeira regional in light to virtually no contact sparring.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cafezinho
    That is capoeira regional in light to virtually no contact sparring.
    well that explains it .. it's fun point sparring . Cool deal , if it was offered in my area I would go check it out to work on my cardio and dancing .

:bully: no wait .. that bully is shadow boxing ...
    oh here is a dancing smilie :karated:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 4:41pm

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I remember learning in history class, capoeira was created by the slaves as a means of self defense. The reason the roda dance exists is because they used it to prevent the slave owners from realizing that they were doing anything other than having fun dancing. I don't think it was how they trained. From what I've heard the roda is what is focused on more often then not nowadays but there are people who've trained in it to fight and can kick ass apparently.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 4:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a rather incorrect history. The reason you have a roda is because you have large group of people taking part in a spectacle. It happens that in african (generally speaking) rituals, the circle is a particularly important ritual space as opposed to the stage + audience configuration. The roda is where capoeira takes place. As far as capoeira taking place outside the roda, what you would have are a couple of kids playing around and having a good time. It's never been this secret ninja fighting art. That is a misconception brought about by upperclass brazilian racism and modern historical invention. There is a great deal of ritual and spirituality in it because the people who created capoeira were deeply religious, whether through Ifá (candomblé, Xangô, etc...,), through catholicism, or both.

The roda is not training (ofcourse, you do learn a great deal). You learn through practicing with other people.

The most common form of capoeira seen is regional, a nationalist sport created in the 1930's but quite different from traditional capoeira: regional. I would go so far as to say that regional is distinct enough to be its own thing and not capoeira.
    Last edited by cafezinho; 12/14/2006 4:56pm at .

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 5:50pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally I get to see a video that demonstrates just how crappy capoeira is. Sure the Kung fu guys were worse, so I guess that makes capoeira margianlly better than crap. Somebody who knew how to do a RNC would have destroyed either of them, even a pure boxer could have kicked their asses.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 5:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So slaves used this art to escape from their masters? Yes that makes sense, because all the best caporistas would have escaped and then passed on their knowledge to the res... oh no wait.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 7:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey
    Good lord ... I have never seen so much back given to an opponent before way to go Capoeira . None of those people seem to be comfortable actualy hitting one another or seem to be striking with any power .
    That's the point. Capoeira is about as much about beating down your opponent as chess is to do with nuclear warfare. I can't speak as to what the kung fu guys were trying to do, or not do. I just wish there were flips in those videos.

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 8:09pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So its not a Martial Art.

Thanks for clarifying.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast