Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 7:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJK Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kun Tao

So... www.worldkungfu.com This is obviously something, but What? This fellow is apparently taken very seriously by the US Military (which doesn't mean a WHOLE lot but it's somethin). Anyone got a lead on it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 7:22pm

Style: ex-Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a kun Tao school in Crossville, Tn. A man named Lenny Rogers teaches it. I've never met the man or seen his school, however; my brother took a few lessons. From his description it seems to be a school of the too deadly to spar variety. Lenny Rogers, like his teacher Savelli, makes a lot of military and law enforcement claims. I would really be surprised if they all turned out to be true.

I don't know if you had sufficient time to read Savelli's website, but it is full of mystical chi bullshit. Savelli claims to have knocked a goat out via chi projection. I don't think he actually calls it a chi fireball, but he claims to be able to shut down a targets heart. Also you should read the testimonials. They are ripped from straight from sci-fi with one student saying that Savellia turned into the image of a tiger during sparring as well as Savelli knocking down students with some type of eye beam.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 7:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJK Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I contacted him a couple years ago and he sent a video to me of their training, some energy healing testimonials and some special forces guys breaking glass with their fingers and bending iron bars by striking on eachother's solar plexus. It also had a section on SERE training which looked pretty hardcore -- the old 'sneak up and stab through the neck while pinching the nostrils so they don't squeal' techniques and such.

I guess my question is about the physical combat side of his casserole -- anyone know about William Reeders apparently an Indonesian Martial Arts Master...
    Last edited by Skinnywhiteguy; 12/14/2006 7:33pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 7:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mean to be offensive skinnywhitekid, but my honest opinion of Master Savelli is that of a man suffering from severe mental illness. The following is excepts from his site.

http://www.worldkungfu.com/general.html

Here is the "omega beam" incident"

"Upon grasping the student's face, Mr. Savelli was facing the door of the practice hall, facing away from me and almost directly in front of me. As he turned, counter-clockwise, to face the body of spectators, I was aware of what appeared to be a pencil thin beam of transparent, white light, parallel to the floor which seemed to originate from Mr. Savelli's eyes and extend beyond the periphery of my visual field. As he turned, the light diminished in intensity so as to seem to vanish as it neared me, although the beam moved along with his directed gaze. When he looked directly at me, there was no awareness of a beam of light being aimed at me, although his irises did appear like those of a man facing a bright light or an exploding flash bulb. The duration of this phenomenon is unknown. Lastly, it seemed as though the light, or Mr. Savelli's gaze acted to freeze whomever it touched."

The Leopard Transformation:

"This is very hard to explain. Mr. Savelli changed. His physical appearance took on the form of a leopard-- he didn't grow hair or claws-- but his facial structure changed. His eyes, his whole countenance, and the feeling I felt is best explained like this: If you were placed in a room with no exits and someone dropped a leopard and the same room, that's the feeling."

And since you study ninjutsu here is the invisibiliy story:

" On 8-25-82, I was attending a Kung Fu class taught by Mr. Guy L. Savelli. Mr. Savelli was giving a very intense talk and had gotten very intense himself. As I watched him wide-eyed, I suddenly noticed that I couldn't see his face or body. All I could see was his outline and flashing, colored lights inside his outline which looked like static electricity or a number of flashing lights with filaments all over him."

My favorite has to be the "Whip" technique. http://www.worldkungfu.com/whip.html
    From his diagram it would appear that his fintertips release compressed air which breaks boards. It looks like a bitch slap to me.

It's all about the clinch. The clinch, I said.

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 7:51pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO, mma, jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinnywhiteguy
    I contacted him a couple years ago and he sent a video to me of their training, some energy healing testimonials and some special forces guys breaking glass with their fingers and bending iron bars by striking on eachother's solar plexus. It also had a section on SERE training which looked pretty hardcore -- the old 'sneak up and stab through the neck while pinching the nostrils so they don't squeal' techniques and such.

I guess my question is about the physical combat side of his casserole -- anyone know about William Reeders apparently an Indonesian Martial Arts Master...

I know a little. Mostly what I heard from my old silat teachers.....

I'll spare you the legendary ****. Since there's no way to corroborate it.

He was one of the first indonesian martial arts teachers in the U.S. He's a contemporary of a guy called Willy Wetzel, who himself, seems to be at the center of a lineage embroiled in dissagreements with one another. Search around you'll see what I mean.

He's got a good rep, but from other silat/cuntao martial arts people so you can take that as a grain of salt. He also went by the name Liu Song.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 10:54pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm normally not much for lineage, but the de Thouars family, specifically Willem de Thouars are really the only Kun Tao practicioners worth a damn from what I know. I'm no expert, but unless he's trained with Willem or his brothers, he is probably full of ****. Here's a link that may provide some info: http://www.kuntaosilat.com/

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 5:55am

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im trying to figure out what branch of the military hes teaching

far as i know....the army is still weeding out guys like this. but u may have a few of them around on certain bases for politics and alternative "self defense/ recreation " options

some of these guys......jus because the military lets them teach personnel say for political or recreational purposes......they use that as a Gimmick to market themselves

as d34dly an approved.

but some of the curriculum that website has......wow

Dim Mak?

Kun Tao Freeze? LMAo that sounds like a mortal kombat Special move

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 6:43am

Style: ITF Taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kun T

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 8:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guy Savelli may have an actual connection to some some branch of the military, but I'm highly confident that relationship is at best limited. Can you just imagine Savelli getting in front of Navy Seals or Rangers and trying to teach them the "Omega" eye beam attack, or how to turn into animals to evade capture. When the soldiers couldn't replicate the eye beams, Savelli would probably pull a George Dillman and explain their ineffectivness by stating the target raised his big toe.

I think people like Savelli live in fantasy land in order to feel special. He probably woke up one morning and realized that he was just a overweight average run of the mill man. Not wanting to accept his fate, he frantically searched for a way to become something greater than himself. Seeing how fighters are respected, his attention turned to martial arts. Now actually becoming a profficient fighter means working your ass of in hard contact style. Obtaining mystical chi powers is certianly easier than getting your ass thrown in Judo or getting a black eye in boxing. If Sevelli lost his chi fireball abilities he would once again become an average Joe. I thin this is also why many of his writing contain relgious themes. Being a super Christian, aka God's personal messenger, is also a way for Savelli to distinguish himself. Teaching students Morality is another way for him to reinforce his own fragile superiority.

I don't have a degree in psychology, but I still think my interpretation is correct. I seem to remember Phrost writing something similar in one of his musing or maybe it was someone else, so if the above paragraph is simply a regurgetation of a previous post I apologize.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 11:29am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinnywhiteguy
    anyone know about William Reeders apparently an Indonesian Martial Arts Master...
    Little bit. Therre are two main Kun Tao lines in the US:

William Reeders and Willem deThouars

Both were Dutch nationals who lived in Indonesia and came to the states. The Reeder's line has schools in Western NY, Las Vegas, and Ohio (among other locations) and is sometimes known as Liu Seong. I'll get back to that in a sec as that name will sound familiar to a number of posters here.

We have a Reeders program here in Rochester and I have a lot of respect for many of the students there. It's a solid "traditional" Kung Fu style (with all the related expectations and baggage). I can't speak to Arthur Sykes skill level, who is one of the current heads of the system, as I've never seen the man in action. But people I hold in high regard have a high opinion of him. I can speak to the talents of Joe Salamone, another advanced practitioner (who also has a boxing background if I remember correctly). He's excellent and can mash hard. And he expects that level in his students.

BTW, one of our members here, IndoChinese, is directly in Reeder's downline.

Ok, back to Liu Seong. For those with sharp eyes and memories, that's the system that Phil Elmore is currently working on. I can't speak for that program. I'm pretty sure I met his instructor years ago at seminars given in Rochester by Mr. Salamone. I wouldn't hold any ideological issues this board has with Phil against Reeder's system.

Hope all that helps.

As far as the mental mumbo jumbo, most Indonesian systems have a lot of cultural belief in there. Not being an indo practitioner, I can't speak to how important it traditionally was. In the FMA, many arts, at the higher levels incorporate metaphysical concepts (anting antings for example). It's important to note that while some FMA masters believe in the power of their anting antings, they believe in their ability to carve the crap out of you far more.

In the cited example it really sounds like all of that got reversed and that's something no fighter worth their salt would go for.

mb
    Last edited by Matt Bernius; 12/15/2006 11:34am at .
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast