12/15/2006 12:48am

Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Personally i'd hate to buy a new pair of gloves everytime i ranked up
    They use handwraps from what I've heard

Quote Originally Posted by Iscariot
    Savate has a ranking system based on glove colour, so if they are claiming they are the first system to use it then they're lying. If they're just claiming for boxing then they're not.
    It says they "adopted" the idea from "Griffins Boixng and Fitness", which I have never heard of.

I also fine the store very intersting http://www.newlineboxing.com/photo3.html

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 1:21am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Goldman
    I've seen that at "cardio kickboxing" classes. The MMA place I used to train at briefly had a system like that in the cardio classes, kind of an incentive system for getting in better shape.

The gym is in a yuppie neighborhood and every cardio class is packed with female college students and soccer moms (and one token scrawny guy). There were probably 8 MMA guys and we had to train twice a week late at night because the cardio moms were paying for the mats, electricity, rent, etc.

Punching people in the face doesn't really provide job security as an instructor in a passive-aggressive hippy ass town like Seattle. WC is a huge draw here, the promise of getting back at that bully football player from high school using centerline theory has them lining up around the block. I call it SECS - software engineer combat system.
    ...as in buttSECS?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 1:55am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    then somebody I know mentioned that it might be a good idea because there would most likely be more energy put towards instruction instead of classes that seem like just endless conditioning.
    [/URL]
    if thats what your current school is like then yes, go find a better one.

i dont like rankings for a couple of reasons. first, the pecking order in a boxing gym (and any other MA school imo) should ALWAYS be defined by who whups the most ass. not who bought the shiniest handwraps. now you might say that the person who has the shiniest handwraps is going to be the most experienced anyway, but then doesnt that make it kind of pointless?

second, it creates division. i can be training with a guy whos better and meaner and tougher than i am and i can still give him tips because we are both on the same "level" when it comes to training, even if he is higher up on the pecking order than me. when you start putting people above others then egos come into play and people who have high ranks dont wanna hear it from people who have low ranks. this is how its been at pretty much every school ive ever been to with a belt system, while my experience of those without them has always been of a more "communal" training. i dont know if the inherent awesomeness of boxing would cancel out the shitty gayness a ranking system brings with it.

edit- just read the site, olympic rules boxing sucks. avoid
    Last edited by alex; 12/15/2006 2:02am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 1:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    if thats what your current school is like then yes, go find a better one.
    I never said mine was that way, but the majority in this area are like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 2:02pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm I am somewhat opposed to the idea, I will rant about it to my internet girlfriend before petitioning against it on Myspace, whilst listening to Avenged Sevenfold and lamenting the dark abyss that is life.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 2:18pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    They use handwraps from what I've heard
    This program teaches the sweet science of Olympic style boxing in a developmental learning stages. Every member of the NLBA technical class starts off at the entry stage - White Glove, a stage that teaches only the fundamentals of boxing. After successful completion of the entry stage and a pass, a boxer would advance to the second stage - Yellow Glove, where they would commence learning semi-complex skills under intensified lenghtened conditions. The final stage of the NLBA Glove System is the black glove, a stage that ranks the boxers fully developed Olympic style amateur boxer.
    Now, it may have changed but, that sounds like new gloves to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 2:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Now, it may have changed but, that sounds like new gloves to me.
    Once a boxer passes a stage, they change the colour of their hand wraps to match the colour of the stage they are now on.

Sounds to me like they change handwraps, they need to post it more then once on there whole damn site though.

http://www.newlineboxing.com/whats_new.html
    Its mentioned in the paragraph before the "White Glove" heading.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 2:29pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In order for a boxer to advance from one stage to another, they must demonstrate to an NCCP amateur boxing coach that they understand and are able to perform all the requirements of their stage effortlessly. This is done in a test form and the boxer must get 90%. Once a boxer passes a stage, they change the colour of their hand wraps to match the colour of the stage they are now on. They might have to switch class times.
    Its wraps.

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Goldman
    I've seen that at "cardio kickboxing" classes. The MMA place I used to train at briefly had a system like that in the cardio classes, kind of an incentive system for getting in better shape.

The gym is in a yuppie neighborhood and every cardio class is packed with female college students and soccer moms (and one token scrawny guy). There were probably 8 MMA guys and we had to train twice a week late at night because the cardio moms were paying for the mats, electricity, rent, etc.

Punching people in the face doesn't really provide job security as an instructor in a passive-aggressive hippy ass town like Seattle. WC is a huge draw here, the promise of getting back at that bully football player from high school using centerline theory has them lining up around the block. I call it SECS - software engineer combat system.
    Damn, that hits close to home. I deal with that too at my school here in Bellingham. LoL at the centerline...LoL it to hell!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2007 12:36pm

Style: Savate, Combatives(BJJ)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You dont actually go out and buy new gloves in Savate when you gain rank, most of the time you wear a patch or armband. I'm sure some idiots DO buy gloves, but in the gym I trained in in France, and most of the schools I've visited, we dident
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast