Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 2:47pm

Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Saskatchewan, Canada: New Line Boxing Academy - Good idea or bullshido gym?

I saw a poster in my school for a boxing gym the other day, normally it wouldn't catch my attention because I am happy with my current gym,But they are doing something they call the "glove system" that I found interesting.

Basically to my understanding they start you out as "white glove" and eventually you become a "black glove" and change the color of your hand wraps along the way. This immediately screamed bullshido to me, but then somebody I know mentioned that it might be a good idea because there would most likely be more energy put towards instruction instead of classes that seem like just endless conditioning.

I don't intend on joining but think I'm gonna have to spar or have a fight with a "black glove" to decide if the place is really bullshido or not.

So now I'm wondering what the bullshido community thinks of this place, and here is a link to the site.

http://www.newlineboxing.com/index.html

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 3:00pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My o my. McDojo marketing hits the boxing scene. Thing is, a gym can be mcdojo and still teach solid technique with the appropriate emphasis on aliveness.

You're idea of going to box a 'black glove' to test them out is a good one. Go and report back.

I am interested to know if anyone else has ever heard of this 'glove system' however.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 3:03pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ranking systems do not mean bullshido. Basically it's like this. Most people do not compete and thus in systems that are based around competition such as muay thai or boxing most people do not ever get much of a sense of "accomplishment". Giving them a new rank to work up to or whatever helps keep them motivated.

While I personally like little sayings like "the only belt belongs to the champ and you have to take it to them" most people need something else to work towards and so schools institute systems like this to help maintain students.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Savate has a ranking system based on glove colour, so if they are claiming they are the first system to use it then they're lying. If they're just claiming for boxing then they're not.
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't a colored glove ranking system used in savate?
    Oops, beat me to it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 3:04pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A colour level system isn't inheriently a bad thing, Savate has a glove system in it I believe but it sounds bad to me irrigardless when applied to boxing.
    Looking at their glove system they seem to be prolonging the time before their boxers get into the ring, you 'have' to stay as a White glove for atleast 6 months before you can move on with sparring only starting at blue level. This is probly an attempt to keep people longer as more then a few people step into the ring and decide it isn't for them.

Overall it doesn't seem so bad, but thats just from looking over their site. If they train like other traditional boxing gyms do and don't charge extra for their tests i'd say theres no harm in it, unless you wanted to step into the ring before 6-8 months of starting.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 3:04pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally i'd hate to buy a new pair of gloves everytime i ranked up

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 3:08pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    I can't imagine how expense that would get but in this case I believe they use their hand wraps to signify their 'glove' colours.

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 3:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen that at "cardio kickboxing" classes. The MMA place I used to train at briefly had a system like that in the cardio classes, kind of an incentive system for getting in better shape.

The gym is in a yuppie neighborhood and every cardio class is packed with female college students and soccer moms (and one token scrawny guy). There were probably 8 MMA guys and we had to train twice a week late at night because the cardio moms were paying for the mats, electricity, rent, etc.

Punching people in the face doesn't really provide job security as an instructor in a passive-aggressive hippy ass town like Seattle. WC is a huge draw here, the promise of getting back at that bully football player from high school using centerline theory has them lining up around the block. I call it SECS - software engineer combat system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 4:51pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity

Sounds like a sneaky, but clever moneymaking scheme.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast