Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, good move on your part to train with a gym where they use the 'crawl-walk-run' approach to training. One of the things I notice about wrestlers who begin training at my school is that they tend to 'explode' when going for submissions and usually screw it up and either lose position or get caught up in a mad scramble that results in both guys popping back to their feet. Lots of energy being expended but little results to show for it. When drilling, you want to use a variety of speeds and intensity. When sparring (or rolling or whatever you what to call it), hell yeah, full throttle, baby! Just realize that rolling/sparring too much can make you sloppy.

Sounds like you know all this, though, and have a plan to improve. Let us know how it all works out.
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

***ned

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 10:16pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just don't ever pick up the habit of falling on your ass/pulling guard. I will kill you.

I know this one guy who had a couple years of MT experience and some sport BJJ experience who fought in an amateur Shooto match. Thank GOd they wore head gear, and strikes to the head weren't allowed on the ground, otherwise I seriously think he'd be dead right now. He went on his back SOOOO easily it's not even funny.

~
    danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

Posted On:
    8/03/2003 10:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'mglad you enjoyed it. BJJ is my primary MA, but i admit my first time seeing it...i thought it was very homo. gi-BJJ looked very homo when i first saw it...

Do Be Open-minded
    Don't Be Gullible
    -----------------
    RIP Alex Gong...

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    8/04/2003 6:01am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Crawl, walk, run" doesn't mean the same thing to all people. For some it means you go slow for the first couple months/years. It means you don't spar until you've achieved a certain rank. It means you don't learn anything effective until you've proven something.

There's no need for such slowed down training at all! Beginners can and should start sparring/rolling very soon. And of course, it should be done every class. And techniques should be practiced full on against full resistance.

When I think of "crawl, walk, run" I think of it in terms of individual technique. Of course, when learning an armbar for the first time, you go through it step by step. You practice it slowly without much resistance. But after a few minutes or an hour of that (if you've not moved on to another technique) it's stime to start trying it full speed against reistance. And then after that you should be trying it while rolling. That's how crawl, walk, run should work, IMO.

Regards,
    Matt

Carl: So, where we goin'?
    Lenny: Ape Island. I hate Ape Island!
    Carl: Why's that?
    Lenny: It's full of giant apes. I wish we were going to Candy Apple Island!
    Carl: Why? What's on Candy Apple Island?
    Lenny: Apes. But they're not as big.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2003 7:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are lots of ways to train and lots of different results, it all depends on what you are after.

Matt W: its good to see you have unshakable opinions after a lengthy 6 months of training. fantastic.

If you start off by running full speed ahead, you will get a moderate level of proficiency really fucking quickly. You'll likey never go beyond this level, but that is all some people want. Like Muay Thai guys who want a little ground game for example.

The approach that Vargas layed out is of course the best compromise between rapid skill development and long term technique development. If you are in it for the long haul this is the best way to train.

However the crawl, walk, run scenario that Matt W layed out can work too (though its not for me). I've known several guys who trained this approach and after several years they ended up being a lot fucking better than most everyone else I know. They has the strongest understanding of principles and could pull of moves that most of us would look at and immediately dismmiss as too impractical. Of course for the first 2+ years of their training they sucked pretty bad. But it all depends on what you want to get out of training. There isn't one right way to learn martial arts.

---------
    I have discovered the true essence of Bullshido: To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women.
    In short: to flame.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2003 9:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a BJJ last night.

Posted On:
    8/04/2003 9:31am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just don't ever pick up the habit of falling on your ass/pulling guard. I will kill you.

I know this one guy who had a couple years of MT experience and some sport BJJ experience who fought in an amateur Shooto match. Thank GOd they wore head gear, and strikes to the head weren't allowed on the ground, otherwise I seriously think he'd be dead right now. He went on his back SOOOO easily it's not even funny.
    lol who was it that said on these forums
    "We are not Venus fly traps."

--
    Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

"I ate a cow once and she fell in love with me." Posted by WTDude August 01 2003.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2003 10:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *shakes your hand* Bjj is the best. I enjoy it, although it does require for many 'exact' placement for the submissions to work (chokes, arm bars, leg locks...etc) but it is also nice, b/c you can modify the moves. Like me, for instancem I am the smallest in the class and a female, with bad knees... this forces me to modify the moves so that they work for me. What works for me may not work for someone else. So I say, enjoy it and have fun!

-------------------------
    "Dark Days, Bright Nights" -Aeon Flux

"Give me the strength to live, to smile and to love"

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    8/04/2003 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fisting,

Hey you don't know me, man! How many times I got to tell you that? 6 months? If you're talking BJJ it's only 2! Heh, heh. You could have burned me better with that if it was your intention. But if you include my TKD (hey, I rarely do *grin*) then it's been on and off for 10+ years.

Don't give me this "n00b" and "you've only trained for X amount of time" BS! That's a cop out. If the ideas are sound, they're sound. If not, not. But you can come to conclusion through reason, logic, study and talking to others. All those things influenced the way I think. Those things AND my training.

Sheesh.

Now when you actually dealt with what I said, you did fine. But I'd add it's not an all or nothing thing. If you want to refine a technique there's nothing stopping you from going back and focusing on it more, going over it slowly, etc. It's not like once you start rolling, you can't ever go back and work slow.

Regards,
    Matt

Carl: So, where we goin'?
    Lenny: Ape Island. I hate Ape Island!
    Carl: Why's that?
    Lenny: It's full of giant apes. I wish we were going to Candy Apple Island!
    Carl: Why? What's on Candy Apple Island?
    Lenny: Apes. But they're not as big.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12