My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/18/2002 3:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your are fairly right, PD.

BUT if the person crosstraining has no base I would but my money on the person who had a foundation then crosstrained.

No art has all the answers. I think that has been said enough.

Also how do you know the techniques in the cirriculm are ALL VERY effective? Just like the art the effectiveness of the technique is as good as the person using it.

Triangle,

The comment on Van Damme is that he gave the world entertainment but also some bad impression. If look back to when he first came out pple thought if you couldn't do a full split you were not a good MA. This was shown in the HUGE amoung to adds and machines that came out designed to make you do a full split. It was crazy. Plus he help full the ninja craze with the fake story of Frank Dux, which wasn't really his fault but since Dux as been ousted as a fraud it has come back on Van Damme as well. Oh and the fact the most of his movies suck. The only ones I think are marginally good are TimeCop, Lionheart, and Legionarre (I may be alone on two of those)

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!

Edited by - Asia on September 18 2002 03:36:07
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    9/18/2002 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asia, there are some techniques that are effective in a VAST majority of circumstance. Most people train like shiit. Thats why they get laughed at when they tell ppl they study. Grappling has to be a huge part of self defense. Straight hand techniques and a simple knee are sufficient to defend yourself in a striking match. Your not going to use fancy kicks or trapping in a real fight. If you doubt that go watch Boztepe/Cheung again. Remember that Cheung is a grandmaster.

If you had 6 months to prepare someone for a fight you would show them A straight right hand, Jab, Hook, Uppercut, Round Kick, Knees, and some grappling. That coupled with an excersise regiment would make them the equal of many martial artists who have practiced for YEARS.

"Do not become entranced by impractical or useless movements. Do not be categorized as one who "Learns all there is to know about less and less until he ends up learning everything there is to know about nothing." -Ed Parker
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/18/2002 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PD,

Please stop with the EMIN/CHUENG thing. That is a dead horse. I hate pple who hide behind videos clips. And that whole thing is suspect anyways. Between Emin's deviousness and Chuengs excuses it is sad. Oh and it is over 10 YEARS OLD!!!! If you keep bring it up I will keep bringing up Kimura kicking Helios butt and proving BJJ/BJJ is crap. Would that be fair?

>If you had 6 months to prepare someone for a fight you would show them A straight right hand, Jab, Hook, Uppercut, Round Kick, Knees, and some grappling. That coupled with an excersise regiment would make them the equal of many martial artists who have practiced for YEARS.

If it was most of the guys I know that have been training for years. A kid with 6 months training, even if i trained him, will be at a SERIOUS disadvantage. You can't duplicate EXPERIENCE which key.

Guy with 20yrs Fight experience against guy with 6 months........My money is on the one with more experience.

That is something someone with base has. EXPERIENCE.

>there are some techniques that are effective in a VAST majority of circumstance

Yes I agree. Smashing my fist, elbow, etc in someones face is very effective an a vast majority of situations. However that still goes back to my point. It will work only as well as the person using it. It takes more talent to grapple than to throw a punch. But it you don't have the talent for neither what good is it going to do you.

> Most people train like shiit. Thats why they get laughed at when they tell ppl they study.

True but most pple will not use there training i a real situation. I find I deal with most pple that don't have a real clue on what real combat entails. (The ones who think Grappling is everything lead the bunch)

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12