--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.anyboard.net/rec/royaldragon/posts/1150.html
  2. 9chambers

Posted On:
    9/07/2002 3:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, I don't care either way .. I just think its good that martial arts are in some way respected again .. when people hear you are into the martial arts you are no longer on par with a comic book geek .. you have a legitimate sport backing you up .. you are an athlete or a sports fan. That is much more cool. The UFC has made it cool to be a martial artist again.

Not that comics are bad.. just, you know ..

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/07/2002 4:29am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think so.

You can generally tell the differenc between the amatuer, which the vast majority of MMA pple are, MMA practioners quite easily. The good ones have a base, meaning they trained and got competence in a system before crosstraining, many of the bandwagon and newcomers don't have a base so they are crosstraining without any real reference point.
    Most of the MT crosstrainers SUCK. I was during a work out session I watched a couple of MMA guys who said they crosstrained MT go up against a guy who only did MT and some wrestling. The MMA guys got there butts kicked royaly. They were not conditioned fo MT as the MT guy. He was slaming them with his shin kicks and you could see it took a toll on them. Their technique wasn't as good. The problem was the MMA guys took a few MT class and did some training without full understanding the art. They thought that OK MT is good I will learn some and it will and try to use it.
    This is what I've seen so far.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    9/07/2002 4:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying MMA is respected by martial artists .. I am saying by the general public. I will admit that they are just as confused about what a real fight is like as they were before. I don't think MMA competition is anywhere near the professional level yet. Only the top guys are trained that well. But at least they like us again. Jackie Chan helps too.

We are starting to repair the damage done by Jean Claude Van Damme. Its a healing process. A thousand points of light.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2002 7:19am

Style: Punk Rock

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do believe it's better to have a base to build upon, as opposed to a shoddy mishmash of styles. But hey, it can work in som cases, just don't expect it to be the norm.

============
    I hold the patent on Chaos.

Titan

Posted On:
    9/09/2002 5:12am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think Jean Fraud's damage can ever be repaired ! :)
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL

Sadly, SLJ. I believe the same thing.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2002 4:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think Jean Fraud's damage can ever be repaired ! :)
    What damage? What is this all about?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2002 7:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know the hardest thing about training MMA is splitting your time. THis is made ten times worse by starting cross training right away.

If you have a base in let say striking, then you can focus your skills on grappling and get much better faster. Something about training one thing hardcore makes it click faster. SO you strike 2 times a week and grapple 5-6 times.

If you start cross training right away you spend 3.5 days striking, 3.5 days grappling and it seems to me you just don't get good as fast.

Eventually everyone will end up in the same place, its just how long it takes to get there.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    9/17/2002 10:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or the curriculum you learn is made up of very effective techniques, both standing and grappling, and you drill those very effective techniques(while not many) over and over and over again.

In a very short period of time he'll be able to USE those tecniqes where a person who studies ONLY in one art will have better abilities in THAT particular area but not ENOUGH to give him an overwhelming agvantage.

"Do not become entranced by impractical or useless movements. Do not be categorized as one who "Learns all there is to know about less and less until he ends up learning everything there is to know about nothing." -Ed Parker
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast