and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 8:10am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Focal Point Wellness Center

**NOTE** I'm new here. Review reflects my experience so far.

Despite the slightly fruity name, this is the best martial arts facility I've seen in the low country. Besides MT and BJJ they offer "American Tactical Ju Jitsu", Shaolin Kempo, and though it's not listed, one of the instructors offers some kung-fu/wu-shu thing. I've only played in the BJJ and MT classes, but I hear good things about the rest.

There's also personal training, nutrition, chiropractic and massage and more. Check the website for a complete run down. It's a nice website, but some info needs updating.

Price is based per art - 1 for $80, 2 for $110. No contracts. Small fee if you want to pay in cash rather than than auto-draft. Privates are cheap as hell.

Aliveness: 8
    The MT class has somewhat limited sparring, especially for newbs like me.

Equipment: 7
    Great stuff, well kept, have everything including some high-end workout equipment, *EXCEPT* heavy bags. There's like 20 wavemasters, and the MT coach is trying to get them to get some. Also, no dedicated ring, just open mat area.

Gym Size: 8
    Plenty of room, but the MT is held in a smaller room off the main gym so it can get a little crowded if everyone shows up.

Instructor/Student Ratio: 8
    The classes are small enough to have everyone get personal face time whenever they need it.

Atmosphere/Attitude: 10

Great. Everyone is really chill.

Striking Instruction: 8
    The MT guy knows his ****. Pushes hard on conditioning. No clue on the kenpo.

Grappling Instruction: 9
    Taught by a Relson ***EDIT*** BROWN Belt. ATJJ -which i HAVE NOT tried - is taught by a high black who's also the sheriff, so you know there's some real-world experience.

Weapons Instruction: n/a
    The MT guy knows traditional thai weapon forms, and the kempo teachers know stuff as well, but I've never tried it nor would I be qualified to evaluate it if I had.

Overall I think it's a pretty darn good school. The price is a bit higher than others in the area, but the consistency and quality makes up for it.

EDIT** mis-ranked the bjj dude. oops. updated the prices as well.
    Last edited by PirateJon; 3/07/2007 4:52pm at .
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    1/15/2007 5:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Focal Point Wellness Center

Very cool place but hard to find. I drove right past it twice because it's tucked behind a McDonalds. The muay Thai khru's name is Sumetra "Sam" Promanee. I never thought that I'd find a real Thai instructor in SC! - Crazy.

Sam and the Gracie instructor, Jerry Brewer coached a heavy weight named Jeremy to an amateur mma title so the place has instant cred. Jeremy is a beast and so is the focal point boxing coach. He's a professional boxer with some crazy 48-3-1 record. I thought I was sneeky fast - but Brad Binder is like lightning.

Sheriff Nash teaches some practical street self defense and has some really cool wrist / small joint locks that he credits to Vee Jitsu. He is also smooth with the nunchkus and the arnis sticks.

The place is top of the line and their dojo floor actually floats on foam blocks. You need to see it to believe it. I'd highly advise a trip to Summerville for this school. I'm going there right now as a matter of fact.

Peace

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 9:20am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forgot to update this - Sam hasn't been teaching for a few months. I guess they still have karate.
    Last edited by PirateJon; 12/31/2007 2:49pm at .
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.