12/11/2006 8:18pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Texas bill: Let blind hunters use lasers

Texas bill: Let blind hunters use lasers

Mon Dec 11, 3:32 PM ET

AUSTIN, Texas - A lawmaker in this firearm-friendly state wants to help more people get the chance to shoot live animals even if those people can't see.

A bill filed for the 2007 legislative session would permit legally blind hunters to use laser sights, or lighted pointing instruments.

"This opens up the fun of hunting to additional people, and I think that's great," said Republican Rep. Edmund Kuempel, the bill's sponsor.

Visually impaired people are allowed to shoot now with the aid of a sighted person, he said, a requirement that would continue if the sights were legalized.

"I've seen this on TV before, when they're taking target practice," Kuempel said. "When they aim the gun, the guide tells them, aim two inches higher or two inches lower and you're on the target, and you're off and running."

Kuempel's bill would give the state until Jan. 1, 2008, to come up with a definition of legally blind so the law could be enforced.

Under existing law, the use of laser sights, spotlights and headlights is strictly prohibited in all Texas hunting. The practice can have the effect of making animals stand still as the light shines on them. Hunters using sights under the proposed legislation would have to carry proof that they are legally blind.

The Legislature convenes Jan. 9 for its 140-day session.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061211/.../blind_hunting

Are blind hunters currently a hot topic of debate down there?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 9:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What joy can blind people get out of hunting and shooting anyway?

**** you math class

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome! I can't wait to be able to use lasers too! Pewpewpew!

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 10:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceDoff
    Are blind hunters currently a hot topic of debate down there?
    Well, they weren't before this bill was filed. http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Searc...ighlightType=1

My guess is that Rep Kuempel has a friend or relative, or a friend of a friend or a friend with a relative, who is blind and wants to go hunting. According to the article, current law requires blind hunters to have a seeing companion as an aide, but I don't see how you can tell a blind person if they are on target or not without something like a laser pointer. If this passes, I don't anticipate a great rush of blind folk applying for hunting licenses, though.
    Last edited by TEA; 12/12/2006 11:15am at .