Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 6:44am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Spastic
    On what grounds? I was unable to find examples of armbars outside of BJJ and Japanese arts (I didn't include BJJ cos it's Japanese derived)

On what grounds?

The grounds that you are a whiny, pretentious, pseudointellectual, asshat.

There you go.....Not exactly a full armbar, but does show that the concept of locking the elbow was not foreign to the greeks....

Now STFU

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 7:13am

Style: Medieval Italian (WMA)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I interpreted Angry_Spastic's definition of ground-fighting as actally going down with the target, as seen in pride-fights, etc. The picture you post mr.Oldman is the kind of locks that Fiore allso shows, but he doesn't show any thing where he's truely rolling around on the floor with the victim/opponent.

Now modern olympc wresteling often do go to the ground, but I don't see much of arm-locks when I watch olympic wresteling; it seems to be all about rolling/throwing the opponent, and that any "lethal" techniques have been peeled off?

Allthough I don't know anything about the history of modern olympic wresteling, I guess that it originates in stuff where you did the locks standing-if possible, but if uou went down (and if the rules stated that the fight wasn't over when things went to the ground), then they probably did the locks while rolling around on the floor as well?

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 7:25am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RetardedFuckwit
    Just a hint boopsy: I don't value the opinions of 15 year olds with too much mollycoddling
    Without mollycoddling, you would be dead a long time ago, you fucking gimp. STFU.

Well in that case you're slinging boulders yourself Cracky. You are a self confessed fascist who should go and suplex Christopher Newell and leave me alone.
    You're going on old information. I now subscribe to even more ridiculous political philosophies that are far more tolerant...but that tolerance does not extend to you and especially not on this forum, and most certainly not when you post rubbish in the serious forum.

Right, because getting instruction from a Gene Lebell blackbelt is crappling. Or rather not.
    No, it's just that no matter who you got the instruction from, YOU would still somehow make it shitty.

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 7:28am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    Someone on here had a picture from a vase of a roman gladiator applying an armbar, IIRC, as their avatar for quite a while.
    Difficult to make out on some of these, but might be something similar on this page.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 7:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolenbjorn
    I interpreted Angry_Spastic's definition of ground-fighting as actally going down with the target, as seen in pride-fights, etc. The picture you post mr.Oldman is the kind of locks that Fiore allso shows, but he doesn't show any thing where he's truely rolling around on the floor with the victim/opponent.

Now modern olympc wresteling often do go to the ground, but I don't see much of arm-locks when I watch olympic wresteling; it seems to be all about rolling/throwing the opponent, and that any "lethal" techniques have been peeled off?

Allthough I don't know anything about the history of modern olympic wresteling, I guess that it originates in stuff where you did the locks standing-if possible, but if uou went down (and if the rules stated that the fight wasn't over when things went to the ground), then they probably did the locks while rolling around on the floor as well?
    WTF does all of this mean? You are contradicting yourself. Try reading your posts before submitting them

I didnt say that the picture was of an armbar on the ground.....If you read english as well as you type it then I can see where you got confused.

I posted it, as I stated, to show that the concept of armbars/locking the elbow was not foreign to them, and one could make the leap to the fact that an armbar was used in a variety of positions.

In Fiore' I am sure that they cover actual scenarios where fights go to the ground right? I gather from my research that it is a mostly weapons based style, but in the event that a fight does go down, do they teach jont locks and then a weapon attack, or just a straight weapon attack?

Being as Fiore is fairly old, I would think that it could have incorporated some moves from other fighting styles, including Grec-Roman Wrestling. So are there any examples of armbars in it?

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 8:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pankration had joint locks and chokes. It even had "tapping out." Pankration is significantly older than JJJ.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 11:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    Pankration had joint locks and chokes. It even had "tapping out." Pankration is significantly older than JJJ.
    And there you go...with 17 words Shawarma ends this thread.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 12:54pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman34

There you go.....Not exactly a full armbar, but does show that the concept of locking the elbow was not foreign to the greeks....
    FYI, that's a shoulder lock, not an armbar oldman. The elbow would have to be turned toward the guy on top to affect the elbow joint.
    Shut the hell up and train.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 3:04pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was actually thinking of Mjelva's current av:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...5&postcount=15

which is technically a triangle, but it sure looks like he's going to roll right into the armbar.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/12/2006 5:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    FYI, that's a shoulder lock, not an armbar oldman. The elbow would have to be turned toward the guy on top to affect the elbow joint.

However, it does show that the idea of locks were not foreign to them, which was my intent, as I stated in my post.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast