supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    That's it.

Gong sau.

And I'm fucking serious.
    Oh man. Emboesso, can I have all your vbucks when Derauslander kills you?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 11:26am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by emboesso
    In all seriousness, I strongly suggest you gong sau your way up through the other kwans first before you tackle the Chung Do Kwan. Chang Moo Kwan may be a safe place to start.
    You want me to dig up corpses to fight?

Quote Originally Posted by emboesso
    Ouch, lol, that *was* harsh.
    Febuary.

Be prepared.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would a TKD Kwan be similar to karate style, ie Kyokushin karate is different than Shotokan karate?

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 12:49pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kan = gwan.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    12/18/2006 1:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally Posted by Gen. Choi
    Um, where was that?

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 7:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The founding of Taekwon-do
    (v.1 p.434)

This chapter describes the so-called founding of TKD. In it, Choi relates how he worked on developing TKD for 9 years, from “march of 1946 to the spring of 1955.” I’ll have to go back and review my notes from earlier to see how this jives with what he said about his karate training.

Even though other MA dojang leaders have not been training under Choi’s MA, Choi wants to change the name of all MA in Korea from Tang-soo or Kong-soo (karate) to Taekwon-do. So, utilizing a favor from a high ranking general he calls a meeting. This meeting includes some political figures, such as the “Vice Speaker of the National Assembly”, journalists, and (though he doesn’t appear to mention them specifically, one would assume) other martial artists.

They then vote on the name to unify MA in Korea. After an initial vote where everyone recommends Tang-soo or Kong-soo, Choi suggests TKD. He explains the meaning, and argues against using a foreign name for Korean MA. They revote, and TKD is accepted. However, after that it appears the Oh Do Kwan, and the Chung Do Kwan, both headed by Choi, are the only ones who use the name. There also appears to be no actual connection between the specifics of the style that Choi is teaching at this point, and what everyone else is teaching. It appears everyone is still just doing their own thing, though it is now all supposed to be called “Taekwon-do.” That they view the name here as representative of all MA in Korea, rather than a specific style different from what was taught before, is very interesting. And it explains a lot. Though Choi views it as his specific style, it appears the purpose of this meeting was actually just to create a generic name for “martial arts” in Korean. Choi does not give a specific date in this chapter for this meeting.

Also, in this chapter Nam Tae-hi, and Han Cha-kyo are mentioned as instructors under Choi. Nam is the instructor for Choi’s military unit and Han is a civilian instructor. I believe this also corresponds to the Oh Do Kwan and the Chung Do Kwan, but I’m not sure.

I also founded the Korean Taekwon-do Association.
    (v.1 p.500)

Even though there has already been a meeting to decide the name of TKD, here at the founding of the KTA there is another one. Choi specically mentions the Kwans here, and who represented them. (So, perhaps they weren’t at the previous naming, which would explain why it has to be gone over again here?) In brief, there is Byong Jik Ro of the Song Moo Kwan; Kwae-byung Yoon of the Ji Do Kwan; Nahm-suk Lee of the Chang Moo Kwan and Ki Hwang of the Moo Duk Kwan. Of course, Choi represented both the Oh Do and Chung Do Kwans.

Then he says “a while later” they founded the KTA. So I am unsure of whether or not he is referring to two different meetings, or one long one. Also, he does not give a specific date. He starts the chapter saying this took place in December. The last year he mentioned prior to this was 1960, so I assume this meeting(s) took place in Dec of 1960.

After founding the KTA, which was part of the Korean Amateur Athletic Assoc, he gives the officers as: President, Choi Hong-hi, Byung-jik Ro and Kwae-byung Yoon were Vice presidents, and Ki hwang as Chairman of the board.

Then he lists the founding members of the KTA, by Kwan, including (some?) students. He lists Won-**** Lee (different romanizations appear for names throughout the memoirs) as the head of the Chung Do Kwan. That’s a little puzzling, because I thought Choi was? Also he lists 8 students from the CDK, of which Nam Tae-hi is one. ??? I thought Nam was in the Oh Do Kwan?

Posted On:
    12/21/2006 7:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Der, check out the above. It's founding Kwan stuff.

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 7:49am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choi was only ever an honorary head of the Cheongdogwan, he was never actual head of it, and never represented it in any way, shape, or form. I'll try to dig some more up for you asap.

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 10:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it true that the ODK and ChungDK were the first kwans to start using the name TKD?

Posted On:
    12/22/2006 10:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PS. I know you guys will be disappointed, but these books are due back tomorrow and I'm just now starting on v.2. So I'll basically be scanning the chapter headings for anything to do with the WTF and ITF founding/split and that's about it.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast