Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 8:18am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    The guy deserved it because he was a *****. Everytime I scored a point he acted like I destoryed his internal organs or something.
    You insensitive bastard. Did you ever stop to think you really might've destroyed his internal organs with your poweful blows?!!!!! and he wasn't faking it?

TKD teachs you respect others, elders!!!

Anyway, on serious note. How did you knock him out?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 9:10am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wanna be like u when i grow up, is there anything u havent encountered? lol your like some kinda

ebony captain america. dude done been to japan mixin it up with ninjers an magick pants aikidoka, dated a yakuza's daughter, sparring tkd in korea, fightin MMA tournaments

.....well i dunno bout the mma part. i'll pass on that one for now my crappling sucks.
    I'm just an overactive military brat. Trust me there are some brats out there that have outdone me.

oh yeah btw.....do you got any info on whose coming to korea in april from your side of the world for the lvl 2 combatives?
    Go to MMA.tv and get on the SOLDIERGROUND forum. There are several guys in Korea you can meet up with I think there is a Lvl 4 there.

Anyway, on serious note. How did you knock him out?
    I clocked him in head head when he tried doing a spinng back kick. It was also a good lesson on not throwing blind kicks because his kick completely missed but my fist was right on target. :qgaraduat
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 10:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.itf-information.com/information02.htm
    Here is a little on General Choi from a supposed student of his. I'm not sure if it's actually legit (I'm very new to martial arts and I've just begun to read up on its history. It's all very facinating to me).

A side-question: Is TaeKwon-do really as unhelpful as people say it is? I'm talking about in real-life situations, of course. If I'm interested in any type of fighting tournaments, it's MMA tourneys. Taekwon-do tournaments always seem so boring, and they seem to last forever. In the end, no one appears hurt. And it's usually just three or so weak, good looking kicks were delivered to the loser. Like you can expect to live at the end of a real fight with that kind of crap.

P.S. I currently take Karate/TKD (that's what it's called. Don't know why. I think they took aspects from both arts and made it into one. I started around 5 months ago), Muay Thai and Jiu-Jitsu (I did this because everyone that I chatted with online [via forums] told me that this is the best combo. I started a week ago.)
    And I'm 15 years old. Is this too late an age to actually be a good martial artist? Like can someone that starts at this age actually be a formidable contestant in tourneys? Sorry for going off-topic, I just thought I'd throw that in. :-P
    Thanks a lot guys.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of them… who used to boast of his 3rd degree in Judo, began to incite the gang to attack me
    (v.1 p.203)

Well, here we have yet another karate v. judo episode. In this fight, Choi first gets thrown to the ground, after which his attackers apparently do nothing. Choi slowly gets to his feet, ROLLS A CIGARETTE, lights it, takes a long drag AND THEN SNUFFS IT OUT ON HIS FIST. (lol) Then he kicks the judo guy in the head, KOing him instantly.

I have two thoughts. The first is that Japanese pop culture, especially back then, held a huge rivalry between Judo and Karate. It was the subject of stories, films and (later) tv shows. The Karate guys, most likely because karate was viewed as being foreign, were usually cast as the bad guys. I have to wonder if this is the reason why Choi seems to be including so many judo v. karate stories.

Second, I have to be frankly honest, I don’t believe these accounts. I realize this may seem unfair to Choi. After all, I wanted to hear about his fighting exploits, yet when he writes about them I disbelieve. Nevertheless. Here is why: I know what happens when someone with no grappling or groundfighting skill fights someone with good grappling and groundfighting skill. I know this based on my own experience, on countless documented (usually videod) challenge matches and on the visible outcome of sportfighting events (especially early MMA style matches). I know from this that, though not impossible, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY for a pure striker to knock out a toughened sport grappler (like a Judoka) with one blow, and how unlikely it would be for him to avoid being grappled (as we saw in several of these earlier stories). On the other side I have only the unsubstantiated word of a man who is known to exaggerate and lie (he did not found and develop all TKD, but claims it) as evidence. What would you believe?

I will say this, though. If these stories are true, these Judo guys SUCKED DONKEY BALLS and/or were not legit Judo BBs. Not by today’s standards, anyway. And that is not beyond the realm of possibility, I suppose. How about some Judo historians clueing us in on the state of the art back then (late 40’s early 50’s)?
    Last edited by Matt W.; 12/15/2006 1:16pm at .

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 12:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your like some kinda

ebony captain america.
    Lol.

You insensitive bastard. Did you ever stop to think you really might've destroyed his internal organs with your poweful blows?!!!!!
    That's what I was thinking! Hey Asia, how would you rate the state of TKD there at that time?

Is TaeKwon-do really as unhelpful as people say it is?
    The way it is trained 99.9% of the time? Yes. The other .1%? No, but you'd still probably be better off taking something like kickboxing/MT. TKD is great for kids and people who aren't that interested in fighting. If you are interested in fighting, and train it right (lots of aliveness, hard contact sparring, etc.) then it can be a decent intro to the MA, before you move onto something more hardcore.

I currently take Karate/TKD (that's what it's called. Don't know why. I think they took aspects from both arts and made it into one.
    That sounds like your standard "american karate". Do they do XMA?

Is this too late an age to actually be a good martial artist?
    Yup. Definitely over the hill. Although, you might want to check the ages of all the recent UFC champs to be sure.

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 12:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    20+ ITF
    Acaman, are you ranked? And which of the several fracture ITF groups do you call your own? Can I assume it's CHoi's group? (WHich one is that, ITF-C?)

I know that there is the ITF Circuit where it is full contact, win by KO, no head gear, thicker gloves, same boots.
    I heard about that too, but that's a whole separate thing, right? It is not the official ITF competition.

A nice straight punch in an exchange, no problem.
    This is what I suspected, which makes it not full contact, despite the win by KO. WHat I mean is, it is going to be a point sparring match, with the type of distancing (standing on the outside, throwing light tapping kicks) and techniques you see in point fighting. But when a fighter screws up, or get's lucky, one of them can suddenly land a hard shot and end the fight. That is, IMO, not good. It still will leave ITF fighters unprepared for real FC, and will still lead to unrealistic fighting styles among the fighter. Still an improvement, though, don't get me wrong.

The K1 style thing would be good (though, why not just train TKD fighters to fight in K1?), and a true full contact system would be good. I hope they do it. Do you know if that's articulated anywhere on the Choi Jr.'s website?

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 12:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes the name given becomes the name of the school.
    Choi is a huge fan of the Chinese classics and quotes extensively from them in his memoirs. So, it makes sense that he would try and paint himself as one of these divinely inspired types. Of course, right or wrong, I still see that as a sign of megalomania.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo before WW2:
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/cestari_preWWIIjudo.html
    From what I've heard, judo was more intense than now, not less. It seems unlikely Choi would beat a judo BB with his Fonz-like display of karate. Rolling a cigarette before knocking out a judo black belt with a head kick? I would have loved to see that (seriously, if it really happened that would be rad).

Besides the brief study of tae kyon, is there anything that points to why Choi decided that his karate needed way more kicks?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 1:19pm

Style: TKD ITF, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi. Sorry if this is offtopic, but I have found this videos in the Choi's son south korean itf web page, and I upload them in youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYVhOrtQSCw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHfz96ck1Mc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkDOqDWaKo4

EDIT: I downloaded them from here:

http://www.kitf.org/NEW/bbs/board.ph...&page=2&page=1

Excuse my poor English!
    Last edited by Blues-man; 12/15/2006 1:27pm at .

Posted On:
    12/15/2006 1:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bluesman, thank you. I watched the firts vid and it was very cool. You can tell it is a fledgling event. What I mean it, they don't have the look of experienced kickboxers (which I am not one either, I simply say that in comparison to other venues I've seen). However, if that type of sparring was to become the standard for all ITF schools, it would certainly elevate the reputation of TKD and would only continue to get better as people gained more experience.

To me, with what I know now, it seems the most natural thing in the world (regardless of your style) to put on some boxing gloves and really fight some. And I have finally started doing that, at least on an informal basis. How else are you, not only going to test out your stuff, but also simply learn how to properly fight?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast