Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 1:40pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78
    How different would things be if Oyama (Korean) moved back to Korea and founded Kyokushin there and if Choi went to Japan and founded his TKD in Japan...
    Things wouldn't be any different because you're already in Korea, they invented everything. Korea be everywhere.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dave, please don't troll my thread.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 2:51pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NP Matt,

Apols.

I'll take my leave.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 3:02pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Der Dongsang,

I have missed you too!

Comrade Matt, I am sorry that I express my own opinions; I think that communism is rubbing off on you from reading that book. Please do not fail at your coup attempts or you will become the ambassador of Malaysia.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 7:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my company, we had two recruits who were yakuzas (Japanese gangsters), who also had fourth and fifth grade black belts in Judo.
    (v.1 p.125)

Well this has the makings of a great story… or another disappointing ending where they don’t fight. And they do fight! Of course, Choi wins. It occurs when he is disciplining them as junior soldier. He slaps one guy for his disrespect at which point the other grabs his hand and, according to Choi, tries to “pull [him] over with his Judo technique.” Choi recovers his balance and then “hit them on the face with karate blows.” At which point both of them were knocked down, ending the fight. Choi later reports they had swollen eyes and broken noses.

The student rising in Pyong-Yang was recorded as the 13th most important event in Japanese history after the Meiji restoration.
    (v.1 p.148)

Um, I don’t think so. First of all, according to the chapter preceding this quote, the uprising never even went anywhere! They were all arrested during the planning stage, before they actually did anything. Also, my undergrad degree is in Asian Studies. Though I am not an expert in Japanese history, I am familiar with it. And this little student uprising that never went anywhere was not mentioned once. By comparison, they had whole courses focusing in the Meiji restoration.

Don’t get me wrong. It’s great (assuming this is all true) that Choi stood up against his Japanese oppressors and he deserves credit for being willing to do prison time because of his convictions. That’s more than most people accomplish in their lives. But, as is typical of Choi, he far overstates the case here.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 11:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matt W., my impression was that you were trying to lead people to believe you were about to take a first look at the life of General Choi where the truth is you've made your mind up about him and want to help us come to the same conclusion. Later posts seem to indicate, you aren't hiding your predispositions.

As for the full contact sparring, here are two vids. Both times the guy who gets starched loses the match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4KOi-6jnNY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mes_i4b-cZY

Why not make it fc. Well, most competitors already know it is, but at the same time, a glancing blow that barely touches will give the same point value as a heavy blow. If you go into a match trying to win by KO within two rounds in a large ring with no ropes, you might get frustrated by a mobile opponent who is content to throw slaps as he dances by. The idea is that you want to see exchanges where good technique can be displayed and if a well timed attack or counter hurts someone, they get one minute to recover or their out. This is of course fairly dangerous, in the more "brutal" full contact sports, a guy who can't answer a 10 count can't even fight again for 3 months. These guys could be down for 30 seconds, come to and then continue fighting.

Getting back to General Choi, I have heard from several sources that he hated the way sparring was done in World events and that's why he was trying to create this silly traditional sparring. Fortunately the people within the Federation who pursued success in competitions were not the same types who groveled at the General's feet and spent 5 hours reading about TKD for every 1 hour in class. They developed the fighting style using the techniques within the art and could not stomach seeing a guy get his ass knocked out and being awarded a gold medal for it because the other guy got DQ'd. General Choi passed away in 2002 and the 1 minute rule was added very soon after.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 9:28am

Style: ITF Taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It must be pretty heavy because my friend had her nose broken at the ITF Junior Worlds Australia 2006, and the other fighter wasn't penalised. FC is obviously better. Why doesn't some hard man from Bullshido enter WTF Competitions and just knock his opponents out with punches, after all, they always have their hands down, and do slappy kicks. Is there anyone on this board who has a BB in WTF? (I might be wrong so correct me if I am, but I think you can win by KO irrelevant of points in WTF.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 10:54am

Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Majik_Stu
    It must be pretty heavy because my friend had her nose broken at the ITF Junior Worlds Australia 2006, and the other fighter wasn't penalised. FC is obviously better. Why doesn't some hard man from Bullshido enter WTF Competitions and just knock his opponents out with punches, after all, they always have their hands down, and do slappy kicks. Is there anyone on this board who has a BB in WTF? (I might be wrong so correct me if I am, but I think you can win by KO irrelevant of points in WTF.)
    All the Ko's and stuff that have been talked about have been ITF.

And actually the nationals for my country are in my city this year and I've been considering joining for like 2 months to see how I'd manage. I'd need to buy a new blackbelt Dobok though (I've grown in the last 5 years) so its probably not worth it.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 11:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why doesn't some hard man from Bullshido enter WTF Competitions and just knock his opponents out with punches, after all, they always have their hands down, and do slappy kicks.
    Because punches to the head are illegal, and it's pretty hard to KO someone by punching them in the chest through several inches of plastic foam.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    12/14/2006 11:49am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a BB in WTF (Kukkiwon) as far as I know you can win by KO regardless of points, but I'm no expert I've been out of the loop for awhile but it was always my understanding that KO's were perfectly ok.

A bullshido hard man might not really do well in a WTF comp though, since you can't punch to the face your chances of getting a KO go way down.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast