Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 12:24am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Solo defense training drills?

Anyone got anything worth doing to train striking defense without a partner? Boxing, Muay Thai, anything really. All I got is bobbing and weaving, slipping, and blocking when I shadow box, but it's not much of anything.

I remember someone bringing up attaching a tennis ball to a heavybag with a string, and that when you hit the bag it would send the ball all over the place, making you keep conscious of your defense. Haven't tried that yet.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 12:23pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Working a slip bag is a good option. I'm also of the opinion that developing footwork is very important yet neglected in defense.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 12:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any specific footwork drills you would suggest?
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 3:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of this is FMA type stuff so it may seem unconventional. Try from either lead:
    -forward, sideways and backwards movement
    -circling footwork- developing the ability to zone away from the opponent's rear arm (I think this is also called the Trigg 101 or 102 after Frank Trigg)
    -shuffle forward one step, then step through, repeat on other side. This is used in krabi krabong to set up powerful weapon strikes. Unarmed the switch can be used to move laterally as you advance or retreat and can throw off someone intenet on moving straight into you.
    -same, but backwards
    -male and female triangle footwork: basically you can step forward or backwards at 45 degree angles to set up a favorable angle. In stickfighting your partner feeds you a downward figure 8, and you step in and block back and forth as you step. This is called the metronome. When you do this empty handed, its done against jab cross instead of stick strikes.
    -pivoting- from moving backwards, pivot inward or outward on the lead foot. This is a good skill if you tend to move forwards and backwards instead of in circular paths, because eventually you'll hit a wall or something if you don't stop moving straight back. This is also the best footwork I've used for setting up spinning kicks (using the outward pivot).
    -advancing and retreating with the muay thai shield
    -retreating backwards, then stepping in with broken rhythm attack and defense. Circle backwards at a constant pace, then crash in at random with appropriate tools: the crazy monkey type block or elbow spike, the side kick (as you step back, you can bring your foot to a good starting position without telegraphing), drop step for takedowns, pak sao + backfist etc
    -the chasse- savate kick- wind up like you're going to do a downward angle roundhouse kick to the thigh, follow through to a downward pumping motion with the heel, somewhere between the geometry of a front kick and side kick. A forward skip is used as the foot extends. The heel pumps into the thigh. Its hard to describe and feels really odd at first (I still don't use it much). You can hit at an unexpected range though, and having unpredictible footwork is good for an active defense.

A lot of this stuff comes from the Dog Brothers Kali Tudo DVDs- you may want to look into those for some interesting yet functional footwork possibilities. I think for defense its also good to practice your stonewall, wing block/crazy monkey, evasive head movements, pick offs/using your elbows to spear punches and knees, and sprawling individually and in combinations.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/11/2006 4:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Much love bro, my footwork is a mess.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 10:58am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do not underestimate the value of shadow boxing, it's one of the most important training you can do.

There are basically two types that I focus on.

If I'm learning a new kick, or a new combination, I do it repetitively to get the movement and balance down. 50 a side is good, more will be better. Doing in front of a mirror would be better. I focus on having control on all phases of a kick, and on balance, then speed (but with little force). If working on punches, I'm conscious of where my body's balance is, how a little twist of a foot or bend of the knee can add more "grounding" and power to my shots. I also focus on things like keeping my chin in and my hands up at all times. You can use a stop watch and practice 5 3min rounds, focus is on getting your moves smooth, balanced, and done correctly.

The second type of shadow boxing is the sparring kind. You stand in your fighting stance, and you imagine that you're fighting someone in front of you. You block, punch and kick and you move around. You may focus on getting your movement correct (no crossing of feet, always balanced, tight and grounded). You may focus on your blocking and counter attacks, or on how you move in to throw your combinations. Focus more on speed and technique, not on power.

Lastly, if you have a bag, you can train on the bag.

This is effective because if you visualize an opponent realistically, it will sometimes cause you to spot weaknesses in your balance, or certain combinations of techniques. You then isolate that and work at it. It also gives you experience in sparring, in terms of combos to throw, blocking, footwork, etc.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately, learning timing without a partner is damn near impossible. As long as you have very low expectations for what the various drills already mentioned here can do for you, they'll help you get some of the mechanics of specific movements down. As for timing? It may help a little. But, you pretty much need a partner to work defense effectively.

Keep your timing expectations low and have fun experimenting on your own with breaking down the mechanics.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 4:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree timing is not well developed by yourself. That's why I mentioned footwork and bagwork type stuff because it sets up a sort of passive defense- if your hands are already where they should be and you're attacking from a good defensible stance, a lot of strikes can be defended against incidentally. If you intuitively move around in circular or elliptical patterns instead of straight forward and backwards, its less likely you will end up cornered and having to cover up.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 5:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go down the local bar and loudly claim to have just fucked johns girlfriend.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/13/2006 5:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in Portland OR. The local bar is a gay bar. It won't work.
    "Emevas,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast